Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jane_wEYREwolf)
Aw, this suddenly made me feel so nostalgic of last year’s thread- I remember her !!
Thanks! I am halfway through making the thread. I have posted about Shakespeare's birthplace, and am about to talk about Shakespeare's schooldays (Woshette visited his actual classroom, and did a lesson with his ex teacher (not, of course the real one!) She did really well, actually. Will post on here when the thread is finished.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I’m also applying for English and am currently choosing between Lincoln and one other college!
Wow, Jane, so you will love the Shakespeare info!
Culver
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hi all! I am a veteran of the 2021 thread (rejected but trying again) back for round two and let me just say that come December things are about to get wild here… That interview buzz/dread/anxiety was very intense- perhaps putting hundreds of nervous oxbridge candidates in the same (virtual) space is not the recipe for the most relaxed atmosphere haha.

Here is my information:
Subject: English
College: I can’t choose.. univ or lincoln maybe
A Levels: Received A* eng, A* politics, A french
GCSEs: 99999998886
Why Oxford: I want to be immersed into my subject. I want top quality, intimate teaching and I want to be surrounded by like minded academics.
Why my college: I wish I had one to answer for- is anyone else really struggling to choose?!
School: State (and proud of it!)
Best of luck to you!! Your grades are amazing. I really struggled to choose a college last year too - it’s a perfectly normal feeling! Have you tried the online college suggester or making a shortlist then doing virtual college tours of the ones on your list?
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
If you love Shakespeare, do join Pink Woshette, as she visits Stratford (sorry, we can only get up to end of page 2 - think I posted too many photos on page 3!)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...7095783&page=2
alice-sawyer
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Any advice for HAT preparation? The sources are looking a little intimidating to me and I'm unsure how best to structure my answer. Thanks
DeBeauvoir2
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by alice-sawyer)
Any advice for HAT preparation? The sources are looking a little intimidating to me and I'm unsure how best to structure my answer. Thanks
Look up the instagram of/google oxbridging the gap
They have a brilliant hat guide.
SIMONZ123
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Is there anyone apply for Experimental Psychology? I want to make some new friends!!!
leviticus.
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by wegetit)
I'm thinking of doing geography in high level uni's in the UK - preferably Oxford/Cambridge , but some other choices are Imperial and UCL.

I am taking these A levels:
Geography, Biology, Maths, (Japanese, 1 year native - thinking of dropping) and an EPQ on geo/architecture
GSCE grades are all 9s.

What should I be doing to add to my personal statement? Anything specific to work on from now as a year 12?

Any advice would be helpful.
Imperial doesn't offer geography as its a STEM school. Have you looked at LSE?
leviticus.
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Scotney)
80%academic 20%supercurricular. I think the best thing to do is write your own Ps about why Econ and Management. Do not discuss why Oxford. What inspired your interest, what have you read, done in this area to further your knowledge. Oxford are not really interested in extra curriculars unless they apply to your subject in some way.
Supercurriculars are academic so ideally it would be mostly on your super curriculars. I think the 80 20 rule is for extracurriculars
lucihc
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hi all! I am a veteran of the 2021 thread (rejected but trying again) back for round two and let me just say that come December things are about to get wild here… That interview buzz/dread/anxiety was very intense- perhaps putting hundreds of nervous oxbridge candidates in the same (virtual) space is not the recipe for the most relaxed atmosphere haha.

Here is my information:
Why Oxford: I want to be immersed into my subject. I want top quality, intimate teaching and I want to be surrounded by like minded academics.
Why my college: I wish I had one to answer for- is anyone else really struggling to choose?!
Hi! I’m also applying for English this year and am predicted the same grades as you got! If it isn’t too personal, do you know why you were rejected the first time round? Obviously luck is a factor in applying to any university, and you’re evidently a very capable student, but do you otherwise know of any specific reasons that you’ve improved upon this time round?
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by lucihc)
Hi! I’m also applying for English this year and am predicted the same grades as you got! If it isn’t too personal, do you know why you were rejected the first time round? Obviously luck is a factor in applying to any university, and you’re evidently a very capable student, but do you otherwise know of any specific reasons that you’ve improved upon this time round?
Grades are just the start. You don't get an offer based on grades alone - How well can you appreciate literature? Get hold of some poetry and do some deep analysing. This is what my son had to do for German. The literature skills are paramount, and for one interview he had to analyse an English poem for a French tutor. Make sure you read widely, and reflect on what you have written after you put your book down.

I remember the admissions process last cycle. English was pretty brutal. It was the only subject that had many rejections for TSRians. English is just a very popular subject, no reflection on the other candidate.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Talking about applying to Oxford, here is the next chapter of Oxford Demystified, my free online applying to Oxford book.

This chapter is called "should I apply"?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6037928
alice-sawyer
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
How is your son finding German at Oxford if I'm allowed to ask?
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by alice-sawyer)
How is your son finding German at Oxford if I'm allowed to ask?
He graduated in 2017. He misses Oxford every day. It was a lot of literature, but he loved that. Even now, he can't read a book or watch a TV programme without critiquing it. It makes for very interesting TV viewing.
jane_wEYREwolf
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by lucihc)
Hi! That’s great to see someone else applying to English. So I am lucky in the sense that I know exactly what it was that damaged my application, and this is because I applied for feedback afterwards where they basically revealed this. I had a mild panic attack at the start of my Elat exam and then really lost my flow, which meant I got score lower than the average for applicants (I got 37 and I believe the average was 42/45 last year?) I was invited to interview regardless because the rest of my application - contextual GCSEs, personal statement, written work, references - were strong. However, because of the way that everything you do is given a score, for me to be offered a place, I needed people who had done better on the ELAT than me (so a lot of people, haha) to then do significantly worse at interview, which didn’t then happen. I suppose the thing to take away from this is that every aspect of your application is given a score, and then that score is multiplied depending on how significant Oxford view it (ie ELAT and interview will make up the largest percentages of your overall score). Then, everyone’s scores across the department are ranked. So this means that if you do badly on an aspect, you do no not need to panic as there is still chance if the rest of your application is strong, and if others also have slip ups.

Also, I thought I’d mention in regards to the ELAT and what I stated above about doing badly on an aspect not being definitive that I know a girl who got 33 on her ELAT last year but still interviewed. Though you’re going to have relatively less chance of getting in because of what you’ll need to compete (an amazing interview and multiple people to have awful interviews in comparison to their ELAT) there is still chance. So do not panic when you get your ELAT result the day before.
OnAnonAndOn
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 months ago

Here is my information:
Hi, I didn't join TSR until around interview time last year so I don't know how it felt - is it different this time?

I don't know what you're looking for specifically in a college, but have you thought of Merton?

Lincoln was one of the colleges I was considering (Exeter, New and Univ were very near the top of my shortlist too) but the sense of space at Merton swung it for me. It's off the beaten track, but still central, and the gardens are amazing. The view from there over Merton Field to Christchurch Meadow increases that sense of space. I was going to suggest the tour 'Molly at Oxford' did of Merton and a few other colleges, but I just checked and all her videos have disappeared .

Some of the other considerations for me were:
Guaranteed accommodation for all 3 years (the 2nd years are housed in Holywell Street, opposite New, which is even closer to the English Faculty). I think Merton is one of the cheaper colleges for accommodation too...
Beautiful buildings.
Good food (let's hope so, anyway!) and lots of formals.

What's most important to you?
Last edited by OnAnonAndOn; 2 months ago
OnAnonAndOn
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Here's the link to the page with the accommodation costs for each college, which may be useful for anyone still deciding:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...-in-my-college

EDIT: N.B. at the top of the page it says:
'The costs on this page apply only to the academic year 2020-21. Costs are likely to increase annually.
Rents and charges for colleges marked # are for 2019-20.' - but it should still give you an idea...
Last edited by OnAnonAndOn; 2 months ago
lucihc
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Grades are just the start. You don't get an offer based on grades alone - How well can you appreciate literature? Get hold of some poetry and do some deep analysing. This is what my son had to do for German. The literature skills are paramount, and for one interview he had to analyse an English poem for a French tutor. Make sure you read widely, and reflect on what you have written after you put your book down.

I remember the admissions process last cycle. English was pretty brutal. It was the only subject that had many rejections for TSRians. English is just a very popular subject, no reflection on the other candidate.
Hi! I do read widely, both criticism/theory and actual novels/poetry/plays and have attended l o t s of events over the past few years relating to literature and hope I’ve shown this in my personal statement! I was mentored by a Cambridge student through my personal statement process and they’re now confident with it, just hoping my school feels the same way!
jhc123
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hi everyone! My name is Joe and I'm heading off to Merton to do History this year - I now run an access project called Bridging the Gap to help students apply to Oxford which you can find on Instagram: @oxbridgingthegap - if you want help with personal statements I have made a guide and also have a massive personal statement bank about to be released in collaboration with UniReach another access charity - I have also released a HAT guide, and am working on an interview guide and another subject guide soon to be revealed! I remember how tough the application process was so if you do want help don't be afraid to ask! Best of luck, Joe.
jhc123
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by DeBeauvoir2)
Look up the instagram of/google oxbridging the gap
They have a brilliant hat guide.
Someone is doing my work for me! Thank you I'm glad it was helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (101)
34.47%
Yes - a trusted person (83)
28.33%
No (78)
26.62%
I'm not sure (31)
10.58%

Watched Threads