The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1620
Original post by Ams65
Hi my daughter has taken a gap year has her IB grades already & wants to apply for physics likes the look of St. John’s …( virtual tours but visited outside & city ) . Any tips gratefully received!

I'm in exactly the same circumstances! Gap year, St John's and physics! Best advice I've recieved is to not spend too long on the personal statement - the PAT is the most important part of the application. Also being able to think aloud during PAT revision, really helps for the interviews.
Original post by DeBeauvoir2
All done now, just waiting for it to be double checked by senior staff at my school, so it will go off sometime next week I hope:smile::redface: Very nervous about not getting any offers now though

Massive good luck!! Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get other offers :crossedf:
Original post by Culver
Massive good luck!! Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get other offers :crossedf:

Can only hope!
And thank you for encouraging everyone on here, it really does make a difference to all of us quiet lurkers😂😂
Reply 1623
Original post by G2021
I'm in exactly the same circumstances! Gap year, St John's and physics! Best advice I've recieved is to not spend too long on the personal statement - the PAT is the most important part of the application. Also being able to think aloud during PAT revision, really helps for the interviews.

Wishing you luck too !
Original post by DeBeauvoir2
Can only hope!
And thank you for encouraging everyone on here, it really does make a difference to all of us quiet lurkers😂😂

No worries at all!! Now you just need to sit tight until November and wait for the interview offers to start coming in :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7004972

Thread for 2022 Geography Applicants for Oxford
Original post by Indililam1
I'm very tempted to! I'm just worried that it'll be an instant rejection. I was told that Jesus College is the "Welsh college" so perhaps I'd have a better shot there...
Thank you! :smile:

Hi @Indililam1, I have to agree with @Wired_1800 and say just go for it!

Not sure if this helps, but 3 colleges have formed Oxford Cymru, with the aim of increasing the number of Welsh applicants.
https://www.stcatz.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/outreach/oxford-cymru/

Like you I use to go to a comprehensive school in Wales, so a state school just on the outskirts of Cardiff, but I didn’t go on to university after A levels.
My eldest daughter, who attended a state school too, has just moved into St Catherine’s (Catz) college yesterday to start her 4 years Physics Masters. Her maths teacher encouraged her to aim high with her UCAS applications. Daughter didn’t really think she stood a good chance of getting an interview following the PAT, but did receive an invitation and had 3 interviews. She didn’t think she’d receive an offer, as she felt one of the interviews in particular didn’t go so well, but to her amazement she did receive an offer. A level results day came, and she discovered she had well and truly exceeded her offer conditions and was delighted to know she ‘was in’. She and a friend from the same school, were the only 2 to get Oxbridge offers and now both are just starting at Oxford.

We took daughter to have a general look around Oxford itself on 2nd October 2020, even though the colleges and university were not open. Yesterday, 2nd October 2021, she moved into St Catz.

My advice would be to just be confident on what you know and what interests you, and give it a go as nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Original post by Ams65
Hi are there any physics applicants here ?

Hello @Ams65
My daughter has just moved in to St Catherine’s (Catz) yesterday, and is starting a 4 years Physics masters, so if you have any questions fire away.
Reply 1628
Original post by Crafty Mum
Hello @Ams65
My daughter has just moved in to St Catherine’s (Catz) yesterday, and is starting a 4 years Physics masters, so if you have any questions fire away.

Hi oh congratulations! She already has her IB grades so prepping for the PAT …. Did your daughter choose Catz initially ?
Original post by G2021

My daughter had her 3rd interview (the norm for physics I believe), with St John’s. She said they were lovely and put her at ease. What helped her, she thinks, was doing some tutoring with younger students in school. She also got familiar with the Miro interactive whiteboard app, once she knew she had been invited for interview (all online) which wasn’t until 2nd December. She had to do workings on that during the interviews, to problems tutors had set on it and could see her working through whilst also talking through it too.

It’s good to know what college you prefer when applying, but remember you can get reallocated if colleges are oversubscribed for your course, to ensure strong candidates are considered for available places.
You might find the previous year’s admissions process report for physics of interest.
Here’s last year’s, in which my daughter was one of those reallocated to another college.
https://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/system/files/file_attachments/physics-admissions-report-2020.pdf

Good luck to everyone in the process of finalising and submitting your applications, and preparing for admissions tests etc!
Original post by Ams65
Hi oh congratulations! She already has her IB grades so prepping for the PAT …. Did your daughter choose Catz initially ?

Thank you @Ams65
She was thinking about St Catz initially, but decided to apply to Hertford. She had 2 interviews with them, and a 3rd with St John’s, and only discovered she’d been reallocated when she received her offer. She’s really happy with Catz, very relaxed and friendly, with its share of formalities from time to time but without being overly formal . She is really pleased with her very spacious room, with her own sink too, overlooking the water garden & music house, and has a galley kitchen next door to her room. Last night she enjoyed meeting people in the JCR, and went out with others today to buy their sub fusc (academic uniform). They have one of the largest undergraduate communities, huge hall and library, and provide on site accommodation for all 3 years.

My daughter didn’t think she did so well in the PAT, despite doing well in most of the past papers (she did most of them), so it just goes to show you never can tell how it will all work out. I would advise yours to just keep believing and do her best. We found some good YouTube videos by Dr Matt Williams of Jesus college, who was brilliant giving advice on the interview process, and just being really encouraging.

All the very best to your daughter, we need more women in STEM subjects.
Original post by isabel13x
I went to the summer school at Jesus College in August. It has such a lovely atmosphere, it's quite small but it has everything you need and is in a great location. I've heard it has a lovely sense of community too! I'm a fellow Welshie and I'm applying to Jesus, the summer school really convinced me :smile:

That's fab! What are you applying for? Hopefully I'll see you there! :smile:

Original post by Crafty Mum
Hi @Indililam1, I have to agree with @Wired_1800 and say just go for it!

Not sure if this helps, but 3 colleges have formed Oxford Cymru, with the aim of increasing the number of Welsh applicants.
https://www.stcatz.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/outreach/oxford-cymru/

Like you I use to go to a comprehensive school in Wales, so a state school just on the outskirts of Cardiff, but I didn’t go on to university after A levels.
My eldest daughter, who attended a state school too, has just moved into St Catherine’s (Catz) college yesterday to start her 4 years Physics Masters. Her maths teacher encouraged her to aim high with her UCAS applications. Daughter didn’t really think she stood a good chance of getting an interview following the PAT, but did receive an invitation and had 3 interviews. She didn’t think she’d receive an offer, as she felt one of the interviews in particular didn’t go so well, but to her amazement she did receive an offer. A level results day came, and she discovered she had well and truly exceeded her offer conditions and was delighted to know she ‘was in’. She and a friend from the same school, were the only 2 to get Oxbridge offers and now both are just starting at Oxford.

We took daughter to have a general look around Oxford itself on 2nd October 2020, even though the colleges and university were not open. Yesterday, 2nd October 2021, she moved into St Catz.

My advice would be to just be confident on what you know and what interests you, and give it a go as nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Thank you so much, and massive congratulations to your daughter! What an incredible achievement! I've never been to an open day at Oxford so don't really know what to expect - it's a very last-minute decision on my end. My maths teacher has also encouraged me to go for it: seems like everyone has confidence in me but myself! Seeing everyone else with their straight A*s is nerve-wracking, to say the least!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Indililam1
That's fab! What are you applying for? Hopefully I'll see you there! :smile:

Thank you so much, and massive congratulations to your daughter! What an incredible achievement! I've never been to an open day at Oxford so don't really know what to expect - it's a very last-minute decision on my end. My maths teacher has also encouraged me to go for it: seems like everyone has confidence in me but myself! Seeing everyone else with their straight A*s is nerve-wracking, to say the least!

Thank you @Indililam1
There seems to be a similar pattern between you and my daughter. Don’t worry about anyone else, just be the best version you can be of yourself and the passion for your subject will shine through. It’s wonderful that others can see your potential, so do them the honour of giving it your best shot. The Oxford interview process is a way of the tutors seeing if you have the potential to succeed via their tutorial system. They know the sort of people they are looking for, and it’s not suited to everyone.
I wish you well in the process, and people who know you believe you will. Be confident in your ability, and if you feel you’ve done your very best then that’s brilliant. You can do it!

Due to the pandemic, the only Uni open days we experienced were all online virtual events. We did go and wander around some campuses, but couldn’t go inside and have at look at any of them. We toured the outside of Lancaster’s campus and the city, same for Manchester, Southampton and Oxford. Even when we did get a tour of Catz in July, we didn’t get to see the accommodation nor into the Physics department. Hopefully all of you applying this year will at least be able to get to visit some of your chosen uni’s in person.
Subject applying for: Computer Science
College applying to: St. Anne's
A Levels/ equiv taking: Comp. Sci, Maths, Physics
Predicted/ Achieved grades: A*AA
Achieved GCSE grades: 999988887
Why Oxford?: Oxford's reputation is unmatched besides Cambridge, and I thought I may have a chance :tongue:
Why that college?: Close to the CS building, college itself looks nice in general
State/Private/Grammar/Home: State
Original post by Theloniouss
This FOI request gives you the scores of offer holders and applicants, at a guess there is an average difference of about 1.5 across the sections for every college - should give you some idea of the importance of BMAT in decision making.

This one gives the BMAT scores of every applicant (and whether or not they received an offer), handily in an excel file so you can sort the columns (plus more insightful data analysis) to get an idea of the distributions of BMAT scores for offer-holders and applicants. I've constructed a graph for this, but you might want to look into it further (for example, is average BMAT a useful measure or should sections 1 and 2 be considered separately etc.)

BMAT scores.PNG

Thanks @Theloniouss, I'm just terrified my score won't be enough to get in and that Oxford medicine is going to be even more competitive this year because of CAGs so BMAT scores for interviews will skyrocket and I'll have missed my chance!
Just wanted to let my fellow law applicants know that the ‘Oxford Women In Law’ society is offering a free personal statement checking service. I received some amazing feedback which has increased my confidence so much in my application. The details are on their instagram @oxwomeninlawsoc :smile:
(only for law applicants unfortunately)
Original post by isabel13x
Just wanted to let my fellow law applicants know that the ‘Oxford Women In Law’ society is offering a free personal statement checking service. I received some amazing feedback which has increased my confidence so much in my application. The details are on their instagram @oxwomeninlawsoc :smile:
(only for law applicants unfortunately)

Guessing this is only for women/young ladies as well?
Original post by TheClaimsGuys
Guessing this is only for women/young ladies as well?

Most likely unfortunately as it is a women’s society but the post didn’t specify, only that they’re only reviewing law personal statements. It’s worth asking though
College statistics for Geography 2021 cycle, amount of applicants is shown. It should be noted Oxford have an extensive pooling system university wide :smile: This means although applying to a popular college (like Keble, St Catz, Hertford) is a risky game, there’s always other colleges that candidates are pooled to. And whatever college you apply to/get into, I’ve heard everyone says theirs is the best! Just thought these stats may help some fellow geographers.

A1A19814-A0E5-4BF4-A66A-A494C449DAF7.jpeg
(edited 2 years ago)
Subject-PPE

College-Balliol

A levels-Maths,Further Maths,Economics,Politics

Prediction-A* x 4

GCSE-99999999999

Why Oxford?-Its my only UK application,Im only interested in studying PPE at Oxford,other unis only have pale imitations of the course,HSPS has initials I have little interest in.Im applying to a few Ivys and because of my supercurriculars expect some offers so Im not really worried if Oxford doesnt work out.

Why Balliol?-Family reasons and its regarded as the best for PPE

State/Private-Couldnt be more Private..

Please take the following in the spirit its written.(.large smiley face with tongue in cheek),not of this is a mystery to me,so nothing needs to be demystified and I dont need to see photos of a BTEC Clanger on a day trip to Oxford.

Latest

Trending

Trending