Turn on thread page Beta

continueing with girlfriend through uni watch

basically i'd like to here people's opinions about going to university with a boyfriend/girlfriend and whether it works. have herd many conflicting opinions about it.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well my girlfriend went off to uni today. We've been going out for 6 months and love each other. Since shes only 45 mins away (by coach at that) and we really didnt want to break up, decided to stay together.

If your relationship is strong enough to support it, go for it. If youre still in a place where you want to have sex with as many people as possible, then its probably not the best idea. Oh and absolute trust is needed in your other half, otherwise paranoia will destroy your relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Me and the boyfriend are still together after 3 years of uni. We havd some pretty tough times, so don't expect it to be easy, but if you both want it there's no reason for it not to work.

ReputationRep:
    Well me and my boyfriend survived the 1st year of uni (i was away, and he stayed at home). Never had any problems. As long as you trust each other and want it to work, it most likely will.

ReputationRep:
    Well, my boyfriends about to start uni 10 or 11 hours away, and hopefully that should work out ok
    If you've got the trust and willpower, it can be done, I think!

ReputationRep:
    I know several people who were in a relationship before University, none of them are still together after 3 years.

Seems as though people have problems committing to a long distance relationship, even friends who were 40-50 miles away struggled with the distance.

My advice would be to give it a go, and see where you're at at Christmas. Nothing wrong with giving it a go, and if you come to the conclusion that it's not working then you've still got another 2 1/2 years at University to enjoy being single.

ReputationRep:
    We stayed together through one year of Somerset-Aberystwyth, two years of Oxford-Aberystwyth and one year of Oxford-Salamanca (Spain!!), plus a summer with her in America. Piece of piss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    We stayed together through one year of Somerset-Aberystwyth, two years of Oxford-Aberystwyth and one year of Oxford-Salamanca (Spain!!), plus a summer with her in America. Piece of piss.
    Heh couldn't have been easy having a long distance relationship from Aberystwyth, hell of a place to get to!

ReputationRep:
    I thought I trusted my girlfriend. When you go out for nearly 5 years you don't expect them to cheat.

Depends mate. But to be honest I am glad I am single whilst at university. Its one less stress/worry on your mind.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is away at university now
    last year was tough..i have to admit
    I get worried like when he goes out and such.
    if you love each other and want it to work
    then see how it goes
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    ive been with my boyfriend for 3 years and nearly 5 months now. 9 months ago he moved 70 miles away from me. and im going to uni in 2 weeks. i respect and love my bf a lot and i know for a fact that im not going to do anything that will hurt him..

i know anyone could cheat but i think sometimes if your flirty and you act single when your not with your boyfriend that can definately attract a lot of negative attention. and this is worse if you have a flirty personality! ive seen this happen with many girls.

dont worry though if you trust her 100%. have faith in the relationship.

petiso x

ReputationRep:
    Luckily my campus is a stone's throw away from where my girlfriend is studying, so we're staying together

ReputationRep:
    OP, do you mean going to the same uni with your girlfriend/boyfriend or having a long distance relationship? Most/all people have replied about the latter but i read it differently I'm quite interested to know about going to the same uni, as hopefully that's what me and my boyfriend will be doing next year.

Has anyone done this? Did it work out well?

ReputationRep:
    does going to uni with your boyfriend work out
    because mine wants to attend the same as me
    abit worried
    but would it be worse being long distance

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2010
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.