How much Maths is needed in Computer Science a level?

Watch this thread
root.
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi.

Some info..

I am currently in yr11 and considering my options for a levels. I am thinking to go for Computer Science, Psychology and Economics.

I am not the best at maths, my target is a 6. I would consider myself pretty good a computing - I achieved an 8 & 9 in my mocks.

I want to be a network engineer after uni, I am heavily invested in networking at the moment and know that I could make a really good career out of it. Here is a reddit post that I made if you're interested.

Anyway, my question:
How much maths is required for computing a level?
For a level CS my 6th form requires a 6 in CS or a 7 in maths if cs wasn't taken at GCSE.
Last edited by root.; 1 year ago
Ukiyomo
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
A-Level maths is extremely difficult so I wouldn't advise you take it unless you genuinely want to. I know people who got 8s and 9s at GCSE maths and now are getting Us, Es and Ds in their Y13 mocks and end of topics. I don't take computer science but I think you could probably do great with any maths in it if you're committed and maybe spend a bit of time outside the lesson doing practice. They will teach you everything you need so you definitely don't NEED maths but its up to you.
username4633536
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by root.)
Hi.

Some info..

I am currently in yr11 and considering my options for a levels. I am thinking to go for Computer Science, Psychology and Economics.

I am not the best at maths, my target is a 6. I would consider myself pretty good a computing - I achieved an 8 & 9 in my mocks.

I want to be a network engineer after uni, I am heavily invested in networking at the moment and know that I could make a really good career out of it. Here is a reddit post that I made if you're interested.

Anyway, my question:
How much maths is required for computing a level?
For a level CS my 6th form requires a 6 in CS or a 7 in maths if cs wasn't taken at GCSE.
You should be fine for A level. Network engineering doesn’t require too much maths, but this depends on what degree you want to do. Hate to say it but any computer science degree will be maths heavy, so you should do A level maths if you want to do this, but you don’t need much for your chosen job as such.
root.
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by hariisawesome)
You should be fine for A level. Network engineering doesn’t require too much maths, but this depends on what degree you want to do. Hate to say it but any computer science degree will be maths heavy, so you should do A level maths if you want to do this, but you don’t need much for your chosen job as such.
Okay thanks.

I did look at some uni courses for networking. e.g This Course at brunel looks like it doesn't need maths a level, just 3 Bs
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (143)
40.51%
They're exactly what I expected (86)
24.36%