The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Biology HELP!

please can someone give me advice on how to improve my wording in questions. I know the knowledge but I struggle with wording and putting into the question. And now that exams are cancelled I feel I should work on it now.
Original post by daymeetsnight
please can someone give me advice on how to improve my wording in questions. I know the knowledge but I struggle with wording and putting into the question. And now that exams are cancelled I feel I should work on it now.

From experience i would say look at the sqa specifications !!! these were the best tool for me and what i based my notes on last year. Also, more is probably always better than less so don't be afraid to expand your point if you feel your answer is weak ( as long as you don't contradict yourself e.g two different answers as this could cost you the mark). Take key words from the question and break it down like in primary level tbh to make it very clwear to the marker that you know your stuff ( blah blah balh is used to .... and this provides this{insert} function for example in .... .) Also do as many past papers as you can and dont be afraid to do them multiple times as not only will this get you used to knowledge but you will see the patterns in way of answering/ asking questions. Make sure you look out for key words in the question ' describe' which is just tell me about... or ' explain' which generally means describe and give an example and 'analyse' which is go into more depth and explain from different standpoints. And don't forget to ask your teacher what way you can improve your answers or ask for model answers. hope this helps xx
Original post by daymeetsnight

This comes down to lots of practice with past papers - and specifically, using the marking schemes after you've finished the paper to pick out where you're not wording things in the way needed to get the marks. The Understanding Standards website is really useful for working on this, as you can look at real student answers and marker comments/marks awarded. https://www.understandingstandards.org.uk/

When you're seeing things that you're not getting the wording right on, make a specific point of those, using whatever way you learn best, whether that's a flashcard you read while brushing your teeth, a poster, or something else that you can revisit regularly.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending