The Student Room Group

Working at University

Im worried that my student finance will only cover accomadation costs while at university with very little to spare to actually live from. Obviously I will need some source of income whilst studying to eat and enjoy my time at university but I dont know how this will work.

If I got a regular part time job then I'd have to find some way to make that work around studying and enjoying life and since I plan on going to university away from home, I dont know how that would work when I go home.

If anyone has ideas or personal experience that could help that would be great, thanks :smile:
Original post by Liam A
Im worried that my student finance will only cover accomadation costs while at university with very little to spare to actually live from. Obviously I will need some source of income whilst studying to eat and enjoy my time at university but I dont know how this will work.

If I got a regular part time job then I'd have to find some way to make that work around studying and enjoying life and since I plan on going to university away from home, I dont know how that would work when I go home.

If anyone has ideas or personal experience that could help that would be great, thanks :smile:

Hiya!

I was in the same situation for my uni experience where my student loan only covered my rent for the year so you're definitely not the only one.:smile:

I've had a job throughout my three years at uni doing anywhere from 4-16 hours a week. You have to find what works best for you and stay organised so that your prioritise your uni work/ revision but also manage to have time to relax and chill out.

I found it pretty easy to get a job when at uni, especially because retailers/ coffee shops/ bars are aware they're in a student city so will be hiring students! I started looking for a job in August- September time to get a job for when I started uni. I looked on Indeed for jobs as well as shopping centres own career pages. You can set up alerts on Indeed to send you an email when a new job is posted, and I found this so helpful!

I have worked the past year working as a Student Ambassador, which I have loved so much! Its very well paid and flexible around my uni work. I found the job on my university careers page. This is a really useful source to find a job internally in the University but also an external job in the local area, as I found jobs posted on my careers page that weren't on Indeed.

Sam- official student rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending