Akb123aca
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Did anyone else sit the Dec 2020 BPT exam and find it quite difficult?
welshmathsnerd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yes I thought it was horrible 😩
acaaccounting20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yeah I hated it..will be lucky if I haven't failed miserably. What did everyone find the worst?
Acastudent93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Q2 just threw me by not giving a life expectancy or which spouse would die first.
welshmathsnerd
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I just felt like I didn’t even get chance to do many calculations or anything (and timing is just an arse!) And the layout of the scenario was horrible had to search for the question within the text. So deflating when it goes rubbish isn’t it 😢
acaaccounting20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by welshmathsnerd)
I just felt like I didn’t even get chance to do many calculations or anything (and timing is just an arse!) And the layout of the scenario was horrible had to search for the question within the text. So deflating when it goes rubbish isn’t it 😢
Completely agree - timing for BPT is completely ridiculous. Seems insane that we don't get 3 hours for it like FAR as it's definitely needed..

Q3 was the worst for me. Never looked at property businesses before and by the time I found the relevant stuff I had about 20 mins left, also made some mistakes in it and left a whole load out. Will be lucky to get any marks for it
welshmathsnerd
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by acaaccounting20)
Completely agree - timing for BPT is completely ridiculous. Seems insane that we don't get 3 hours for it like FAR as it's definitely needed..

Q3 was the worst for me. Never looked at property businesses before and by the time I found the relevant stuff I had about 20 mins left, also made some mistakes in it and left a whole load out. Will be lucky to get any marks for it
I was the exact same so you’re not alone.

I don’t understand why the exams have to be so time pressured, it makes for incomplete answers and mistakes!
Acastudent93
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

I did the same! I found question one ok but went a bit over time on it, then found q2 horrible and by the time I got to q3 I only had about 25 minutes to scramble an answer together 😫
acaaccounting20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by welshmathsnerd)
I was the exact same so you’re not alone.

I don’t understand why the exams have to be so time pressured, it makes for incomplete answers and mistakes!
Completely agree. I don't see how it tests our knowledge/skills when we're all panicked by how much time we have left? Everyone I've spoke to didn't get finished though so I suppose that's reassuring for us at least that we weren't the only ones!

(Original post by Acastudent93)
I did the same! I found question one ok but went a bit over time on it, then found q2 horrible and by the time I got to q3 I only had about 25 minutes to scramble an answer together 😫
Exactly the same for me, found Q1 fine (I think) but spent like an hour and 15 mins on it and that messed me up for the rest of the exam. Q2 was weird - I don't even know if I answered it correctly for what they wanted.

All in all, trying to prepare myself for a resit in March sadly
ACAgony
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Q1 I felt like there was so much to put, def spent too much time on all the overseas and avoidance bits. Also the bankrupt daughter in Q2 threw me - did they want us to talk about a trust? I wasn’t sure and didn’t want to waste time, so just put a quick sentence about it in the end :/
Akb123aca
Rep:
?
(Original post by ACAgony)
Q1 I felt like there was so much to put, def spent too much time on all the overseas and avoidance bits. Also the bankrupt daughter in Q2 threw me - did they want us to talk about a trust? I wasn’t sure and didn’t want to waste time, so just put a quick sentence about it in the end :/
I didn’t understand the Bankruptcy statement.. if anyone knows please let me know.

Also I had the CFC in my head for The first company in the first Q but totally forgot to write about it. I also tabbed up a model answer for Q3 it was Q62 and didn’t use it ffs! Was kicking myself.

I think they had DOTAS considerations for Q3 as well which was time pressured. Literally finished with 1 second left. Never felt that time pressured ever.
acaaccounting20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ACAgony)
I completely just ignored the bankruptcy part, didn't understand the relevance at all but I suppose a trust might have made sense now you've mentioned it. Q1 was insane, the amount of topics they wanted us to fit into that question was too much.

(Original post by Akb123aca)
I didn’t understand the Bankruptcy statement.. if anyone knows please let me know.

Also I had the CFC in my head for The first company in the first Q but totally forgot to write about it. I also tabbed up a model answer for Q3 it was Q62 and didn’t use it ffs! Was kicking myself.

I think they had DOTAS considerations for Q3 as well which was time pressured. Literally finished with 1 second left. Never felt that time pressured ever.
Yeah I wrote literally one sentence on DOTAS for Q3 because I physically didn't have the time to spend on it. My time ran out halfway through my income tax calculation so didn't even get to finish that which I'm sure I'll have lost a lost of marks on. Can only hope I've managed to pick some up in talking about SDLT and IHT stuff although I doubt it'll be a lot for those.
Akb123aca
Rep:
?
I completely just ignored the bankruptcy part, didn't understand the relevance at all but I suppose a trust might have made sense now you've mentioned it. Q1 was insane, the amount of topics they wanted us to fit into that question was too much.

Yeah I wrote literally one sentence on DOTAS for Q3 because I physically didn't have the time to spend on it. My time ran out halfway through my income tax calculation so didn't even get to finish that which I'm sure I'll have lost a lost of marks on. Can only hope I've managed to pick some up in talking about SDLT and IHT stuff although I doubt it'll be a lot for those.
It’s one of those ones mate that you got to just hit and hope with BPT don’t think I’ve met anyone who’s actually come out do the exam and thought ‘I’ve defo passed’. Let’s see what happens when results come. Fingers crossed 🤞
acaaccounting20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Akb123aca)
It’s one of those ones mate that you got to just hit and hope with BPT don’t think I’ve met anyone who’s actually come out do the exam and thought ‘I’ve defo passed’. Let’s see what happens when results come. Fingers crossed 🤞
Completely agree - someone who I work with started revising for it again after he finished the exam because he was so certain he'd failed but he actually hadn't so here's hoping the same thing happens to us all. Good luck for your results!
nik1998
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
really hated the paper.
i felt like for question 1, it was never clear exactly what anti avoidance scheme it was?

i think i had a transfer pricing/thin capitalisation one. and also hybrid mismatch.

and a CFC/the gateway and stuff

but looking back i’m thinking there should have been mention of DPT? and maybe corporate interest restriction? what did you guys talk about?

what did people write for the question about why they release their tax scheme? i didn’t know how much to write/how many marks? and even the share for share exchange was weird because they didn’t give you many questions - so i spoke about disapplying if you’re currently eligible for ER/SSE.

question 3 was horrible!! had no idea what to write!
just hoping they’re lenient
acastudent2020
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
does presentation matter in the exam? All my answers were all over the place in a right mess..

was there an incorporation of PE in question 1? I wrote down all the conditions for incorporation of a PE
Last edited by acastudent2020; 2 months ago
nik1998
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by acastudent2020)
does presentation matter in the exam? All my answers were all over the place in a right mess..

was there an incorporation of PE in question 1? I wrote down all the conditions for incorporation of a PE
i think presentation is a small part - makes it easier for them to mark it and give marks but don’t think it matters too much.

oh yeah i forgot about incorporation! i spoke about that too! said all the conditions and the impact of the sale of the shares! how the deferred gain crystallises on disposal and put a few calcs in
acastudent2020
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by nik1998)
i think presentation is a small part - makes it easier for them to mark it and give marks but don’t think it matters too much.

oh yeah i forgot about incorporation! i spoke about that too! said all the conditions and the impact of the sale of the shares! how the deferred gain crystallises on disposal and put a few calcs in
phew ok.. man my hands were shaking literally once the exam started.. from thinking about having to read understand and rush through. kept getting stuck at understand.. and then just threw an answer in hoping it was the right one.. especially for the first qn
acastudent2020
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
anyone know if they moderate BPT?
Akb123aca
Rep:
?
(Original post by acastudent2020)
anyone know if they moderate BPT?
I would say so... I have heard of so many people who missed out half of questions or even a bit more and still scraped passes. Not 100% though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (536)
51.15%
No (512)
48.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed