Should I take A level physics as a 4th option ?

Watch this thread
softhbb
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello I’m in year 12 and I take maths•bio•chem
I want to take a level physics as 4th option
Yes i am aware it’s December and I have loads to catch up on but here are some of my reasons I guess:

- I am not enjoying biology as a subject (only the practicals just because I enjoy doing practicals in general with someone at least and I’m doing something physically, I guess I like mixing chemicals and see results ? lol)
not sure if it’s because we’re still being taught the foundation of biology so enzymes, molecules, dna etc... but I am not enjoying it so far

However I love maths and I love chemistry

- since I love maths, I might enjoy the maths side of physics at least** also is it weird I love space and would love to learn more about it in ‘astrophysics’ bruh 😅 I sometimes look at physics students and envy them -wishing I was them

- I have NO IDEA what degree I want to pursue and what I want to become
but I’m considering either medicine or chemical engineering

...pls don’t advise me to follow my passion because I don’t have one and so many people have already told that a thousand times 😞

thank you in advance !!

(Posting it here because posting just on physics and biology forum is a bit biased -sorry)
joshghandi
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Go for it, if you have the drive to catch up then you’ll be fine, I know people who have taken a 4th in September as they go into year 13, you’ll be fine as long as you know you’re determined enough to work out of school hours to catch up!
softhbb
Rep:
(Original post by joshghandi)
Go for it, if you have the drive to catch up then you’ll be fine, I know people who have taken a 4th in September as they go into year 13, you’ll be fine as long as you know you’re determined enough to work out of school hours to catch up!
Seriously September in year 13??? Woah thank you for the encouragement !!
ran-dumb
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Biology will be good for medicine, so if you're thinking of that you probably shouldn't drop it. Have a look at the syllabus and see if the later topics sicken you too. I'm warning against dropping biology for physics because physics for me was very very hard. I struggled so much I got like 47% in my first report, the same one I got around 90% in maths and further maths in. I dropped it right away and I'm doing the 2 maths and chemistry now. If you love maths you might as well do further maths. However that depends on how good you are at them. If you were really good at GCSE physics and not so much maths than it's worth a shot
cbaforausername_
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, I agree with the others. I know from friends that physics is a hard subject but I guess that depends on your strengths. If you’re good at maths that’ll definitely help. It doesn’t hurt to try, you can always drop a subject later on and since you’re in year 12 the topics to catch up on will be more manageable than if you were to start later when harder topics are usually covered.

I did 4 subjects in my first year and dropped one as I really didn’t enjoy it, but regardless I’m glad I tried. Just remember with 4, you’re going to have less free periods and more work (not to scare you, just being realistic!)

I applied to medicine and do bio (it does get more interesting imo) but I know someone who did your exact subjects (and physics!) and dropped bio and applied to chemical engineering. I think by the end of year 12 you’ll have a better idea about where you’re at with your subjects and future (:
Last edited by cbaforausername_; 1 year ago
softhbb
Rep:
(Original post by cbaforausername_)
Yeah, I agree with the others. I know from friends that physics is a hard subject but I guess that depends on your strengths. If you’re good at maths that’ll definitely help. It doesn’t hurt to try, you can always drop a subject later on and since you’re in year 12 the topics to catch up on will be more manageable than if you were to start later when harder topics are usually covered.

I did 4 subjects in my first year and dropped one as I really didn’t enjoy it, but regardless I’m glad I tried. Just remember with 4, you’re going to have less free periods and more work (not to scare you, just being realistic!)

I applied to medicine and do bio (it does get more interesting imo) but I know someone who did your exact subjects (and physics!) and dropped bio and applied to chemical engineering. I think by the end of year 12 you’ll have a better idea about where you’re at with your subjects and future (:
Thank youu, if you’re close to that person, are they enjoying what they’re doing right now ??
charliegoodwin5
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by softhbb)
Hello I’m in year 12 and I take maths•bio•chem
I want to take a level physics as 4th option
Yes i am aware it’s December and I have loads to catch up on but here are some of my reasons I guess:

- I am not enjoying biology as a subject (only the practicals just because I enjoy doing practicals in general with someone at least and I’m doing something physically, I guess I like mixing chemicals and see results ? lol)
not sure if it’s because we’re still being taught the foundation of biology so enzymes, molecules, dna etc... but I am not enjoying it so far

However I love maths and I love chemistry

- since I love maths, I might enjoy the maths side of physics at least** also is it weird I love space and would love to learn more about it in ‘astrophysics’ bruh 😅 I sometimes look at physics students and envy them -wishing I was them

- I have NO IDEA what degree I want to pursue and what I want to become
but I’m considering either medicine or chemical engineering

...pls don’t advise me to follow my passion because I don’t have one and so many people have already told that a thousand times 😞

thank you in advance !!

(Posting it here because posting just on physics and biology forum is a bit biased -sorry)
Honestly, I wouldn't. You are already taking difficult A levels as it is which are quite time consuming. 4 a levels dont really benefit uni courses or anything - and taking an extra one will mean less time is given to your current subjects so your grades wont be as good. obviously grades isnt everything though - whether you enjoy the subject is a big factor. but if you are only interested in physics because the astrophysics side - it's not worth it. I took physics, maths and psych (finished this yr) and the main reason i took physics was because i've always wanted to be an astrophysicist. the course is mostly what i would say is boring physics ( mechanics, electricity, fluids etc) and the only topics i enjoyed were quantum physics and astrophysics and they lasted about two weeks out of the whole school year (i was with edexcel but i assume the other boards are similar). if this gives you any insight - i am now about to do psych at uni (no longer a total space nerd - probably bc that a level). lastly i would say, think about whether you are really interested in the WHOLE physics course offered because it's one of those subjects where its difficult to coast/do well in if you dislike/hate the topics. Its a big commitment taking a fourth especially as physics is regarded as one of - or even the hardest a levels you can take. im not trying to discourage you from taking it , but please take theses into consideration. i hope this helps .
Last edited by charliegoodwin5; 1 year ago
Adssuzza
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
physics is very hard, i wouldnt. I dropped it after year 12, and spent the whole of summer teaching myself year 12 chemistry so I can apply for medicine lol
cbaforausername_
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by softhbb)
Thank youu, if you’re close to that person, are they enjoying what they’re doing right now ??
No problem - I’m not really close to her but she seems happy with her choices.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (234)
41.94%
The paper was reasonable (237)
42.47%
Not feeling great about that exam... (51)
9.14%
It was TERRIBLE (36)
6.45%

Watched Threads