The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
SolInvictus
First part, yes. The rest should be treated as a mid-Atlantic accent.

It's all American to me.
Kettensägenmassaker
At this point, if none of those got 'em it would've been old age.

Well I did go to an Ocmulgee Festival today, so the thought had occurred to me ... but in an effort to pretend to be civilized, I suppose I could wait a while.

Thats a good attitude. If it comes down to it, do like the paleface, and use disease blankets.
Teebs
It's all American to me.

Mid-atlantic is the neutral, or semi-Anglicized accent of the US upper classes.
SolInvictus
Mid-atlantic is the neutral, or semi-Anglicized accent of the US upper classes.

That's pretty generalized. There are plenty of upper class folks where I come from and none of them speak in your semi-Anglicized accent. :wink:

quick to war, quick to smile.
SolInvictus
Thats a good attitude. If it comes down to it, do like the paleface, and use disease blankets.

If I'm gonna kill someone, I think I'd rather hatchet them to death. Or use a chainsaw.

I don't think I look particularly Creek, though. When I lived in San Diego and Texas most people assumed I was mixed of some sort. I got the oh-so-delicate What are you mixed with? question quite a bit.
Kettensägenmassaker
That's pretty generalized. There are plenty of upper class folks where I come from and none of them speak in your semi-Anglicized accent. :wink:

Owning three pigs does not make you upper class..... ok maybe throw in a few head of cattle and they can join int.

quick to war, quick to smile.

Now your learning. One thing, when you are two Americans far away from home, you become like friends, and will immediately have a brother-sister sense of familiarity. On that note, I am not interested in marriage.
Kettensägenmassaker
If I'm gonna kill someone, I think I'd rather hatchet them to death. Or use a chainsaw.

I don't think I look particularly Creek, though. When I lived in San Diego and Texas most people assumed I was mixed of some sort. I got the oh-so-delicate What are you mixed with? question quite a bit.

People just speak Spanish to me all the time.
SolInvictus
Now your learning.

I just meant to say I'm moody and temperamental. And shouldn't it be you're learning? /asks the ignorant southerner.
SolInvictus
People just speak Spanish to me all the time.

Ugh, that happened to me all the time when I lived in San Diego. I speak three languages relatively well, and outside of ordering my dinner at a Mexican restaurant, none of those languages are Spanish.

When I lived in College Station people assumed I was most likely half black (I think it's the lips).
Kettensägenmassaker
Ugh, that happened to me all the time when I lived in San Diego. I speak three languages relatively well, and outside of ordering my dinner at a Mexican restaurant, none of those languages are Spanish.

When I lived in College Station people assumed I was most likely half black (I think it's the lips).

Oh God! People really do say Howdy there!
SolInvictus
Oh God! People really do say Howdy there!

It's the official greeting, yes. And I must admit, I've picked it up as a result.

If I told you I briefly attended TAMU as a BS candidate in the College of Agriculture I suppose that would only solidify your stereotype, yes? :yep:
Kettensägenmassaker
It's the official greeting, yes. And I must admit, I've picked it up as a result.

If I told you I briefly attended TAMU as a BS candidate in the College of Agriculture I suppose that would only solidify your stereotype, yes? :yep:

Aw, ain't vat sweeyt shug!
SolInvictus
Aw, ain't vat sweeyt shug!

And I now attend a private college that only admits women. opposite ends of the collegiate spectrum for sure, and most definitely more fodder for your bait-mobile. :p:
Kettensägenmassaker
And I now attend a private college that only admits women. opposite ends of the collegiate spectrum for sure, and most definitely more fodder for your bait-mobile. :p:

Being prepared for marriage to the local 'Big Jim' who owns a neighbourhood, made his family fortune in tobacco and hog farming, and lives in the ancestral plantation?
SolInvictus
Being prepared for marriage to the local 'Big Jim' who owns a neighbourhood, made his family fortune in tobacco and hog farming, and lives in the ancestral plantation?

no, actually. Less a reputation as a finishing school and more a reputation (however unfair) of a lesbian school. The honest truth is that we're just a big collection of geeks who can't be bothered to go hunting dates off campus.
Kettensägenmassaker
no, actually. Less a reputation as a finishing school and more a reputation (however unfair) of a lesbian school. The honest truth is that we're just a big collection of geeks who can't be bothered to go hunting dates off campus.

I would tease you for that, but I am off to bed. Goodnight!
Reply 76
Kettensägenmassaker
If I may ask, where is the Creek nation? Never heard of it (Blame my cultural insensitivity :p:)

You have a mighty long username.
Reply 77
Kettensägenmassaker
I'm neither Texan nor a hillbilly and I abhor those who look down upon anyone who would dare speak in their native dialect. I'm southern and I am not ashamed of it. Drawling my Is and making use of the occasional colloquialism should in no way imply any lack of intelligence. In fact, I think those who harbor the most disdain for folks with southern accents are those who are least secure with who they are.

All that said, my accent is not particularly strong (until I get angry and start speaking quickly). Luckily, unless Oxford has embedded some new technology I am not yet aware of into their online application software, no one will be able to hear my accent. Not that it should matter either way. :rolleyes:

SolInvictus was making a joke. You won't like the UK if take everything people say to you literally.
SolInvictus
Isn't that a Scottish football match?

Ah you've got a point there; though they are convinced it's due to religion.
And it's only within glasgow I believe anyhow.
cabso1
1. If I may ask, where is the Creek nation? Never heard of it (Blame my cultural insensitivity :p:)

2. You have a mighty long username.

1. Well, with native tribes it's not so much a matter of where but of whom. There is a physical reservation in Okmulgee, Oklahoma, but Creek nationals are not required to live there (obviously) or to have ever even been there. Creeks (also known as Muscogee) were native to the southeastern US before final cession of lands in the early 19th century.

http://www.muscogeenation-nsn.gov/history/history.htm

2. Such is the nature of German verbiage.

Latest

Trending

Trending