The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Kettensägenmassaker
I would never have gone to a gym class during the day - I couldn't risk my hair getting messed up!

I'm not sure if we are/were required to take a gym class at uni or not, but I'm a varsity athlete again so I think I could get out of it if I wanted. Luckily, the gym classes are better - last term I trained for and competed in my first triathlon with a great coach. I wish she taught that class every term.

Required to take gym at Uni :eek:

Jesus!

I forget about the american uni system and it's prescriptiveness; I prefer it in some ways but not if it involves compulsory sport!
History Lost in Physics
I forget about the american uni system and it's prescriptiveness; I prefer it in some ways but not if it involves compulsory sport!

sounds like laziness to me. :yep:
Kettensägenmassaker
sounds like laziness to me. :yep:

Laziness :eek:

I'm not lazy - I simply dislike being made to do certain sports with people I can't stand. I walk too much to be lazy though - as in when my friends get the bus I will walk for two hours (I just have to get up earlier).

Now you're going to say i'm cheap :p:
History Lost in Physics
Now you're going to say i'm cheap :p:

Well you very well might be, but I would never say that to your face (at least not until i knew you well)!

Anyway, I'm not even sure if gym is compulsory (and it certainly varies uni to uni), and even if it is there are tons of classes to choose from. It's really not bad.
Kettensägenmassaker
Well you very well might be, but I would never say that to your face (at least not until i knew you well)!

Anyway, I'm not even sure if gym is compulsory (and it certainly varies uni to uni), and even if it is there are tons of classes to choose from. It's really not bad.

Hmm, when are you an adult in america? Seems odd to force people to exercise if indeed they do. We shall see (as long as they do fencing i'm fine) :yep:
History Lost in Physics
Hmm, when are you an adult in america? Seems odd to force people to exercise if indeed they do. We shall see (as long as they do fencing i'm fine) :yep:

at my uni we do have a pretty good fencing club. I've never tried it, but I do go out of my way to make fun of 'em. :smile:

I expect fencing will catch on more in the next few years since the Americans swept the medals in Beijing.

Anyway, uni isn't the same thing as being an adult - you submit yourself to the uni's requirements, or the uni doesn't confer a degree. It's really not that complicated.
Kettensägenmassaker
at my uni we do have a pretty good fencing club. I've never tried it, but I do go out of my way to make fun of 'em. :smile:

I expect fencing will catch on more in the next few years since the Americans swept the medals in Beijing.

Anyway, uni isn't the same thing as being an adult - you submit yourself to the uni's requirements, or the uni doesn't confer a degree. It's really not that complicated.

Isn't like that here. Besides; I can quite happily tell my uni where to stuff their degree and go somewhere better to be honest. The joys of good grades :yep:
History Lost in Physics
Isn't like that here. Besides; I can quite happily tell my uni where to stuff their degree and go somewhere better to be honest. The joys of good grades :yep:

Well you can do that here, too. It just never occurred to me that someone would be so hostile to the occasional workout. :p:
Kettensägenmassaker
Well you can do that here, too. It just never occurred to me that someone would be so hostile to the occasional workout. :p:

I'm not... I'm hostile to being bossed around :p:
History Lost in Physics
I'm not... I'm hostile to being bossed around :p:

If you think flexible curriculum requirements are equal to being bossed around, then it's a good thing you're not at an American university.
Kettensägenmassaker
If you think flexible curriculum requirements are equal to being bossed around, then it's a good thing you're not at an American university.

No I just don't really get the system. I go to university because I want them to teach me my subject - I don't go there to be told I have to do anything else. I understand that you don't apply for a particular subject at an american university but i'm surprised as how school like it is.

We stop having anything compulsory past attending your chosen classes once we are 16.
Reply 151
It's hardly flexible if they make you do sports. Whatever happened to independence?

Is it, in fact, just an excuse for PE teachers to try and call themselves professors?
History Lost in Physics
No I just don't really get the system. I go to university because I want them to teach me my subject - I don't go there to be told I have to do anything else. I understand that you don't apply for a particular subject at an american university but i'm surprised as how school like it is.

We stop having anything compulsory past attending your chosen classes once we are 16.

It's a little more complicated than that. You can be admitted to university without knowing what you want to study because many focus on liberal arts education - that is, you graduate knowing a little about a lot of things rather than a lot about any one thing (there are exceptions, of course). The degree may not give you a high level of expertise in a field, but it shows a certain ability to follow through with what you started.

Having double checked, we don't have a requirement for gym. We do have lots of other requirements, though - an english, two semesters of foreign language (my department requires 4), a certain level of math, at least one class in performing or studio art, etc.

The requirement that's bugged me most is that you have to pick between a religion or philosophy course, and we've had no classes in those disciplines that interested me and also fit into my schedule. Luckily we have a trip to Greece next semester that I can use to fulfill that requirement, so I narrowly escape in my final term. :biggrin:

The requirements can be annoying, but it is what it is. In the long run, probably no better or worse - just different. Plus it's 4 years instead of 3, so you have more time to do it all in.
cpchem
Is it, in fact, just an excuse for PE teachers to try and call themselves professors?

Not really. Our gym instructors are generally called coach, very few (none that I can think of off the top of my head) would consider themselves professors. They typically have a very high level of training in one sport or other rather than specialized academic training.

My triathlon coach, for example, has completed 9 full Iron Man triathlons, which is something astounding to me (says the girl applying to a 4500 mile, 70 day bike ride).
Kettensägenmassaker
It's a little more complicated than that. You can be admitted to university without knowing what you want to study because many focus on liberal arts education - that is, you graduate knowing a little about a lot of things rather than a lot about any one thing (there are exceptions, of course). The degree may not give you a high level of expertise in a field, but it shows a certain ability to follow through with what you started.

Having double checked, we don't have a requirement for gym. We do have lots of other requirements, though - an english, two semesters of foreign language (my department requires 4), a certain level of math, at least one class in performing or studio art, etc.

The requirement that's bugged me most is that you have to pick between a religion or philosophy course, and we've had no classes in those disciplines that interested me and also fit into my schedule. Luckily we have a trip to Greece next semester that I can use to fulfill that requirement, so I narrowly escape in my final term. :biggrin:

The requirements can be annoying, but it is what it is. In the long run, probably no better or worse - just different. Plus it's 4 years instead of 3, so you have more time to do it all in.

Aww that does just sound so nice - I knew a little about it because of people i've met and spoken to but didn't quite understand it. You major in a particular subject I presume (hence your department?). Luckily for me my degree is 4 years - but still only focusing on 3 subjects!

Do you know whereabouts in Greece you are going - or are you going all over?
History Lost in Physics
Aww that does just sound so nice - I knew a little about it because of people i've met and spoken to but didn't quite understand it. You major in a particular subject I presume (hence your department?). Luckily for me my degree is 4 years - but still only focusing on 3 subjects!

Do you know whereabouts in Greece you are going - or are you going all over?

Yeah, we major in a particular subject, and it's not uncommon to double major or to have a minor or less often students do more - major and double-minor or double major and minor, essentially being fairly fluent in up to 3 disciplines. I've never heard of anyone completing more than that, though, because the "core curriculum" (compulsory classes) take up quite a bit of time. I have two majors - International Relations and Studio Art - and a minor in Economics. I wanted to double major with Economics and IR, but classes in the Econ department and the IR department are usually offered at similar times, so it was virtually impossible. And of course outside your core curriculum classes, there are compulsory and optional classes for your major that may be outside your field but are deemed relevant. The 4 semesters of foreign language study, for example - not my field, but required for IR. Also relevant (mostly) history and other political science classes. For Studio Art I've had to take some Art History, for Econ some Business classes.

We don't have anything like PPE here (that I've ever heard of), but I think the idea of combining Philosophy, Politics, and Economics are brilliant. Most people find my IR/Econ combination somewhat odd, but I've always thought that you couldn't understand a country's external policy unless you had a firm grasp of their economics. It would appear to me that the good folks in Britain think the same thing, which is cool. It's an affirmation of my common sense. :p:

As for Greece, we're going a lot of places - Athens, Corinth, Epidaurus, Nauplia, Olympia and Delphi. This class is great fun to me because you can register it in any one of about 7 different departments. The department you choose to register is the discipline in which you write a final research paper (of your choosing). I'll probably register the class as a Religion credit, so I could write about Paul's travels and ministry in Corinth if I wanted to. There are a million options, really.

And we're doing some kind of cheesy simulation game. Everyone has to read Plato's Republic in the first week or two of class, and then everyone in class is assigned a role for the simulation, and we 'try' Socrates for his 'crimes.' I'm told we will render a final verdict once we're in Athens.

What I do know is that I'll get a good tan while we're there. :biggrin:
Sorry that I'll have to interject a post before reading all the posts above.

Regarding to the ethnicity issue: it appears to be totally unfair when it comes to East Asians. I know lots of Asians achieve high grades because of their pushy parents but it's still discriminatory to reject loads of talented and hard-working Asians.

To me as a Chinese, I felt extremely uncomfortable with the selection on the basis of ethnicity/nationality. Chinese normally need much higher SAT score in comparison with other international students. As a result, the competition within China for a spot at any top-notch university in the states is so fierce that it's a bit unhealthy to me.

So I decided to choose Oxford as I don't feel I'm being looked down upon from the first place.
Kettensägenmassaker
Yeah, we major in a particular subject, and it's not uncommon to double major or to have a minor or less often students do more - major and double-minor or double major and minor, essentially being fairly fluent in up to 3 disciplines. I've never heard of anyone completing more than that, though, because the "core curriculum" (compulsory classes) take up quite a bit of time. I have two majors - International Relations and Studio Art - and a minor in Economics. I wanted to double major with Economics and IR, but classes in the Econ department and the IR department are usually offered at similar times, so it was virtually impossible. And of course outside your core curriculum classes, there are compulsory and optional classes for your major that may be outside your field but are deemed relevant. The 4 semesters of foreign language study, for example - not my field, but required for IR. Also relevant (mostly) history and other political science classes. For Studio Art I've had to take some Art History, for Econ some Business classes.

We don't have anything like PPE here (that I've ever heard of), but I think the idea of combining Philosophy, Politics, and Economics are brilliant. Most people find my IR/Econ combination somewhat odd, but I've always thought that you couldn't understand a country's external policy unless you had a firm grasp of their economics. It would appear to me that the good folks in Britain think the same thing, which is cool. It's an affirmation of my common sense. :p:

As for Greece, we're going a lot of places - Athens, Corinth, Epidaurus, Nauplia, Olympia and Delphi. This class is great fun to me because you can register it in any one of about 7 different departments. The department you choose to register is the discipline in which you write a final research paper (of your choosing). I'll probably register the class as a Religion credit, so I could write about Paul's travels and ministry in Corinth if I wanted to. There are a million options, really.

And we're doing some kind of cheesy simulation game. Everyone has to read Plato's Republic in the first week or two of class, and then everyone in class is assigned a role for the simulation, and we 'try' Socrates for his 'crimes.' I'm told we will render a final verdict once we're in Athens.

What I do know is that I'll get a good tan while we're there. :biggrin:

That sounds like a really good system; though it is odd that they don't allow the option of studying double economics with the double IR (I would also agree with your take on it). PPE is brilliant though :yep: though it does seem somewhat quaint as it is such a traditional 'route' for certain things.

Pain that you have to write on religion - I would fail due to my almost non-existant knowledge of the bible... Greece is a brilliant place though - and you will get a tan certainly - epidauros is my favourite though; has such an amazing square. If you get a chance get to Mycenae - should not be missed on a tour of greece. I think I need to read plato's republic really, but after reading Gibbon's decline and fall i'm a bit full of long books for the moment!

Latest

Trending

Trending