do grammar schools typically have higher grade boundaries ?

Watch
idk_wth123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
i go to a grammar school and we did mocks a few weeks ago. Most of our mock papers were the 2019 past papers. A lot of my grades were lower then i expected, lots of people scored almost 8s,9s in every subject and these were often equivalent to 80 or 90 percent. the grade boundaries for aqa and edexcel are a lot lower to the schools, and according to them i would have got much higher grades.

for example is english language paper 1 i would have got a 7 according to the official 2019 AQA grade boundaries, but instead i go a 5, the lowest in my class(who mostly got 8s and 9s)

i just wanted to know why thats the case. i was quite disappointed with my results.

sorry if i don't make sense lol
AI073
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi, I go to a grammar school and I don’t believe that grade boundaries are lower. It is possible that your school created their own mock papers since they are not regulated by exam boards. Therefore, they could have estimated the grade boundaries according to results of previous years. This may cause the discrepancy between your results and official boundaries. For the real exams in the summer, I know that exams are moderated and grade boundaries are determined by the individual cohort of students of that year. There will be some fluctuation between years but there shouldn’t be a difference between grades because of different grade boundaries. If anything, private schools are advantaged because they can take some texts into the exam. (E.g, you can take a blank copy of the Macbeth script in if you studied it.) This is not the case in non-private schools. Therefore, if anything, the grades in a private school are likely to be higher because of this advantage.
JaffaCakeBiscuit
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
At my school, for GCSE tests / mocks, the school generally used 90% = 9, 80% = 8 etc. as grade boundaries. While the grade boundaries in the real exams were often lower, it took into account the fact that we hadn't learnt all the content yet. Eg. if you take a test that doesn't include all the topics in the course, then the grade you get doesn't reflect what you may achieve in the exam, because once you learn the rest of the content which may be harder, you are likely to get a lower result that in tests on easier topics. It also allows schools to be on the safer side when predicting grades, so you're more likely to achieve you're predicted grade or higher in the real thing, rather than scoring lower.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (44)
5.8%
Uncertainty around my education (88)
11.61%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.55%
Lack of purpose or motivation (97)
12.8%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.15%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (43)
5.67%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (82)
10.82%
Financial worries (51)
6.73%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.22%
Exposure to negative news/social media (47)
6.2%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.17%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (72)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (59)
7.78%

Watched Threads