The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think Tony Blair's son is there, isn't he?
Reply 2
Yup, he is
Reply 3
I met his tutorial partner once. But she wasn't allowed to talk about him (signed some secrecy thing). Spoilsport.
Reply 4
K'uin K'ra
I met his tutorial partner once. But she wasn't allowed to talk about him (signed some secrecy thing). Spoilsport.

He had a tute at Lincoln a while ago. I know several ppl hung around the lodge waiting to catch a glimpse of him (actually I think LD wanted to talk to him!) but he didnt appear.
Reply 5
Hoofbeat
He had a tute at Lincoln a while ago. I know several ppl hung around the lodge waiting to catch a glimpse of him (actually I think LD wanted to talk to him!) but he didnt appear.

You people joking!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Blair's son in LMH - what year is he in, and what course is he doing? Is he a snob?, lol, or normal - try and avoid him as much as possible then. And where did you people learn of that from? or did he come and tell you all, lol
Reply 6
K'uin K'ra
I think Tony Blair's son is there, isn't he?

Yup, and he's looking right over my shoulder in the Matriculation photo! To think Tony will be showing his mates the same photo, and without realising they'll all be looking right at me. :biggrin:

Anyway, yeh, I'm a first year engineer there. Nice place, good atmosphere, nice people, and not boring! I take it you saw the place at interview? What did you think? I may have met you, I was a runner, though maths was in the second week so I'd probably have been half dead and/or hungover by then, and being up by 9am to run around the place won't have helped!

Any more questions, fire away!
Reply 7
So its true - just read some past news paper archive!!!

http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/1/low/england/oxfordshire/3581462.stm

He's smarter that Euan Blair then. Bet he got in with an EEE offer, or something - LMH needs more alumini, lol; they've got noone special up to now!

PKerai
Reply 8
Pkerai86
You people joking!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Blair's son in LMH - what year is he in, and what course is he doing? He he arrogant and posh, lol, or normal - try and avoid him as much as possible then. And where did you people learn of that from? or did he come and tell you all, lol

First year, modern history. Spoke to him a few times in freshers week but not much since then, see him around college every so often though. Seems pretty normal, certainly not arrogant/posh type. A photo one of my mates took at the fresher's bop with him in it made the papers!

(Go to "freshers bop04" on the photos page of the JCR website and see if you can find him, he's a 118 runner. There's also me as a pimp on there, though one of the pictures is horrendously bad, please ignore it!)
Reply 9
calumc
I may have met you, I was a runner, though maths...

Any more questions, fire away!

Those 4 days were so boring in college, i must admit, lol!!!

I never understood why you watched those crazy films!!! Romeo and juliet, Bring it on, and that puppet DVD - like who's idea was that, lol. :confused:

Now i understand why you all didn't talk!! you must have been tired - i ended up leaving thinking all LMH people were boring adn sad, and they all give one word answers, lol; i got so bored with the TV culture i used to go to the room and play the piano, and sit on the PCs all day - no offence - must have had a hard time you lot.

Oh, and you can't have missed me - i'm the indian chap who came late to both interviews, lol :biggrin: was too busy walking around town all day, lol.

You never guess what! When i went to my last interview on Wednesday 15th, to Queens, i arrived 15 mins late!! and the guy was cool about it, hehehe - i thought he'd screw at me but it was fine.

do you rememeber me?
Reply 10
Pkerai86
Those 4 days were so boring in college, i must admit, lol!!!

I never understood why you watched those crazy films!!! Romeo and juliet, Bring it on, and that puppet DVD - like who's idea was that, lol. :confused:

Now i understand why you all didn't talk!! you must have been tired - i ended up leaving thinking all LMH people were boring adn sad, and they all give one word answers, lol; i got so bored with the TV culture i used to go to the room and play the piano, and sit on the PCs all day - no offence - must have had a hard time you lot.

Oh, and you can't have missed me - i'm the indian chap who came late to both interviews, lol :biggrin: was too busy walking around town all day, lol.

You never guess what! When i went to my last interview on Wednesday 15th, to Queens, i arrived 15 mins late!! and the guy was cool about it, hehehe - i thought he'd screw at me but it was fine.

do you rememeber me?

I had all my interviews in one day so was only in Oxford for just over that, and spent nearly the whole time in the JCR! The odd thing is, during the term nobody uses it. It's almost always empty apart from the odd thing lots of people seem to watch, like the Simpsons and the OC, and "welfare tea"s/brunches (free food) every other weekend. When we were running though, we were pretty much forced to stay there, either on the end of the phone or taking candidates to interviews every 10/15 minutes, which was bloody boring!

I don't know whose idea the films were but they could have at least picked some good ones! I preferred just having music on as then it was more of a background thing rather than something people would actually focus on, which I also thought might have been more useful for nervous candidates!

I was running for engineering mainly in the second week (since it's my subject) so don't know if I'd have met you, though no doubt saw you in the JCR some time.
Maths and Comp Sci - AAA at LMH for 2005 :biggrin:
Reply 12
So you people do have a life then...lol. I got the impression that u enjoyed torturing everyone with those cranky films - they really drove me up the wall!!! aghh thinking about it pisses me off :aetsch:

Anyway, do you know of anyone that is into rock-climbing in the college? I'm really into it, and it sort of feels like i'm the only one going to be joining the OUMC:frown:

Oh and also, were you expecting LMH applicant to be nervous??? :secruity: why did you think we all applied tehre - because we are lazy buggers whom have few worries - we are realists, lol - we get in, , or we don't; as simple as that. And thinking about it logically, worrying isn't going to help anybody, is it :confused: ?

I didn't really give a damn about my interview - i was like "ahh what the heck, just gonna talk to a maths prof. so what" type of thing. Come to think back at it, i think i should have been a bit more nervous :rolleyes: but wasn't; spent most my time in town walking round with the other laid back applicants :biggrin: .

And there were a few weirdo applicants!!! There were these two guys i only saw at dinner and in JCR if they had interviews...they used to read book in thier room in prep for the interview teh rest of the time :eek: weirdos!!!
Reply 13
Pkerai86
So you people do have a life then...lol. I got the impression that u enjoyed torturing everyone with those cranky films - they really drove me up the wall!!! aghh thinking about it pisses me off :aetsch:

Anyway, do you know of anyone that is into rock-climbing in the college? I'm really into it, and it sort of feels like i'm the only one going to be joining the OUMC:frown:

Oh and also, were you expecting LMH applicant to be nervous??? :secruity: why did you think we all applied tehre - because we are lazy buggers who care about nothing, lol.

I didn't really give a damn about my interview - i was like "ahh what the heck, just gonna talk to a maths prof. so what" type of thing. Come to think back at it, i think i should have been a bit more nervous :rolleyes: but wasn't; spent most my time in town walking round with the other laid back applicants :biggrin: .

And there were a few weirdo applicants!!! There were these two guys i only saw at dinner and in JCR if they had interviews...they used to read book in thier room in prep for the interview teh rest of the time :eek: weirdos!!!

Yes we do have lives! lol.

Nope, can't say I know anyone that does rock-climbing, though that's probably just because I don't do it myself! Don't worry about being "the only one", as there's every likelyhood you won't be, and even if you were you'd make friends at other colleges.

There were some proper nervous applicants! There were also a few who seemed a bit upset after interview, though I think most tried not to show either.

From my experience most of the weirdo and overconfident people I met last year didn't get in.
Reply 14
Pkerai86
cool!

You remember that posh git?? a guy called ra***al from Haberdashe's askes school applied for physics - he was weird. His poshness made me laugh, lol. that was about the only pleasure i got from teh interview stayover - taking the piss out of all the posh brats, lol

are you from state school or private - i'm a statey :wink:

Can't say I remember him! I'm state.
Reply 15
Pkerai86
cool!

You remember that posh git?? a guy called ra***al from Haberdashe's askes school applied for physics - he was weird. His poshness made me laugh, lol. that was about the only pleasure i got from teh interview stayover - taking the piss out of all the posh brats, lol

are you from state school or private - i'm a statey :wink:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why are you so obsessed with whether people went to state or independant schools? Does it really matter? You seem just as bigoted as someone who claims all people from the state-sector are 'chavs'. You've got an offer, so you're clearly intelligent, but the erroneous stereotyping of everyone from private schools as 'posh brats', which you've repeated in a number of threads, belies this, and is really beginning to annoy me.

And you insulted Catz, which wasn't very nice. :mad:
To be honest, I often find it very hard to tell the difference between state and private, the only way I can ever tell is the accent. I reli think people need to think again about the stereotypes, is someone who's parents are a nurse and a policeman scraping enough money to pay for them to go to a private school inherantly a 'posh brat'? I really do find it insulting that people brand other people less than them because of where they go to school, do people not realise by
taking the piss out of all the posh brats
they are infact showing the very same arrogance they are supposedly laughing at?
Nicky Blair went to my school, as did Euan Blair. They did not get special offers for Oxford, in fact Euan Blair didn't get his offer so went to Bristol, he was a bit of a **** if you ask me. Nicky was a decent dude, now their sister is in my school, she's fat and ginger, name's Catherine. I got to a state school, so Tony's being politcally correct by sending them to my school. Sorry if I don't make any sense, I'm drunk.
Reply 18
Pkerai86

Oh and also, were you expecting LMH applicant to be nervous??? :secruity: why did you think we all applied tehre - because we are lazy buggers whom have few worries - we are realists, lol - we get in, , or we don't; as simple as that. And thinking about it logically, worrying isn't going to help anybody, is it :confused: ?

i applied to lmh. i got a place. i;m not a "lazy bugger who has few worries." And yes i did prep for my interview and would do all that again.

i picked lmh partly cos it seemed like a tolerant community where ppl work hard but also know how to have lots of fun. What is worrying to me is that they offered someone like u a place, someone who has such narrow-minded opinions about things. Maybe i should have considered applying somewhere else...
Reply 19
LadyNamibia
i picked lmh partly cos it seemed like a tolerant community where ppl work hard but also know how to have lots of fun.

I've just finished at LMH myself, and I think you'll like it there. It is a tolerant community, and most people there seem to balance the amount of work / play to their own satisfaction, which is what it's all about I suppose. There'll always be one or two objectionable people at any college.

Good luck, anyhow.