sociology (education) - reproduction of social inequality

Watch this thread
agnos987
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In what ways does the education system reproduce class inequality?
JT_888
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bbubble061)
In what ways does the education system reproduce class inequality?
Try not to overthink this question, but consider things you may have experienced yourself or kind of seen happen.

Labelling -> Self-Fulfilling Prophecy - Look at how some teachers may label particular students from a particular ethnic group.
Streaming -> Students are put in sets usually for core subjects, i.e. English, maths and sciences and students in the top sets are being stretched by their teachers whereas those in the bottom sets aren't necessarily.
Marxist theory of education -> Think about how the education system replicates the workplace via the correspondence system and how this prepares students to work in a capitalist system that reproduces class inequality, etc.

There are probably a few more examples I have missed out as I'm listening this from the top of my head, but it would be helpful to think about CAGE (class, age, gender, ethnicity) factors if they're applicable and also sociological theory - you should definitely be talking about Marxist theory here and evaluating/critiquing that with other sociological theory perhaps with feminism (looks at gender inequality) and/or functionalism to name a few.

Hope this gives you a rough idea of how to approach this question.
agnos987
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Try not to overthink this question, but consider things you may have experienced yourself or kind of seen happen.

Labelling -> Self-Fulfilling Prophecy - Look at how some teachers may label particular students from a particular ethnic group.
Streaming -> Students are put in sets usually for core subjects, i.e. English, maths and sciences and students in the top sets are being stretched by their teachers whereas those in the bottom sets aren't necessarily.
Marxist theory of education -> Think about how the education system replicates the workplace via the correspondence system and how this prepares students to work in a capitalist system that reproduces class inequality, etc.

There are probably a few more examples I have missed out as I'm listening this from the top of my head, but it would be helpful to think about CAGE (class, age, gender, ethnicity) factors if they're applicable and also sociological theory - you should definitely be talking about Marxist theory here and evaluating/critiquing that with other sociological theory perhaps with feminism (looks at gender inequality) and/or functionalism to name a few.

Hope this gives you a rough idea of how to approach this question.
Thank you! This is so helpful! :heart:
JT_888
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bbubble061)
Thank you! This is so helpful! :heart:
You're welcome. xD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?