What structure to follow for an AQA English lit essay

Watch
IkathleenI
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I often find it hard to structure my answers coherently so does anyone have any advice on how to structure a clear paragraph when it comes to writing essays.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by IkathleenI)
I often find it hard to structure my answers coherently so does anyone have any advice on how to structure a clear paragraph when it comes to writing essays.
Follow the PEEL structure.

Point - what are you actually saying? Clear concise, one sentence, two at most.
Evidence - show the backing behind that point.
Explain - describe how the evidence supports the point.
Link - link what you've just said to the overall question. If you can't link it to the question, then the point is irrelevant and you won't benefit from writing it.
IkathleenI
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)

Link - link what you've just said to the overall question. If you can't link it to the question, then the point is irrelevant and you won't benefit from writing it.
Thanks, this helps a lot
cleveranimal56
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)

No! I like PEE better. And tbh you can link back to the question throughout your explanation, no?
Last edited by cleveranimal56; 11 months ago
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by cleveranimal56)
No! I like PEE better. And tbh you can link back to the question throughout you explanation, no?
Technically, you don't need either.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by cleveranimal56)
No! I like PEE better. And tbh you can link back to the question throughout you explanation, no?
Each to their own. I personally preferred making the link explicitly clear at the end of the paragraph to avoid any debate or confusion about whether the link is there or not.
giella
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Make a point that responds to the task you’ve been given. This varies depending on the question.
Report evidence that directly relates to your point. Don’t just bang the quote in, report who says it, to whom, when, where, why. For instance, “Othello’s conflicted state is evident in the manner in which he delays the act of murder, saying to himself...” This is important as it sets up your analysis for AO3.
Analyse holistically, extracting meaning as you go. Analyse not only how something is said ie the type of language used, structure etc. but also the context ie who, what, where, when and why. This gets you your AO2 and AO3 marks.
Finally, draw conclusions about the potential impact of the writer’s choices on the reader/audience. Try to present it in terms of what they are encouraged to think or feel about a character rather than a definitive answer as audiences and readers are diverse and you can’t speak for everyone.

Drive the paragraph from writer’s choices to reader/audience’s possible reactions. This is where your other AOs come into play.

If you’re writing a comparative point, try for a B-shaped point in which you begin talking about them together, expand on one, bring them back together and expand on another and then come back together, following roughly the same structure in each expansion as for a single text point. Your point should be comparative, focussing on a similarity or difference between aspects of the texts. Don’t talk about the texts separately.
thatstudent004
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
PEAZLLL

point
evidence
analysis
zoom
link to context
link to play
link back to question
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Hello

This is a plan

Point
Evidence by way of quotes
Explain in detail
Construct a argument
Refer to original question
Provide examples
List reasons too
Write three or four paragraphs
Have a short conclusion
Read beyond the lines of the play
Uncover background clues that are embedded in the text regarding historical periods etc
cleveranimal56
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Tolgash)
Technically, you don't need either.
True
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.29%
Okay (64)
29.49%
A bit lacking (81)
37.33%
Not good at all (54)
24.88%

Watched Threads