maxsmith06
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How hard is it to get grade 9's at GCSE in Maths, English lit and land, Triple science (Bio, Phys, Chem)?
Slett
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I think as long as you revise well you should be able to achieve grade 9’s. For maths and triple science I would suggest doing past papers and making flash cards for some of the equations. You could also make some mindmaps in biology or chemistry. For English literature I’d make sure I have annotated all the books needed and make notes of the quotes and a short analysis. For English language I think its Mr Bruff on YouTube who talks through how to answer all the questions. If you start doing little bits per day, by GCSE season you should be able to achieve some Grade 9’s.
sturm
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by maxsmith06)
How hard is it to get grade 9's at GCSE in Maths, English lit and land, Triple science (Bio, Phys, Chem)?
For me (I got 10 9s and an A in additional maths) it was pretty much just doing all the practice papers I could find and for English lit and lang that also means finding a teacher who is willing to mark a heck of a lot of essays - then do maybe 1 essay a week/every 2 weeks (and up the intensity closer to the exam) and ask them to mark it. Also get used to the markscheme for English yourself: the questions may vary year-on-year, but the fundamental marking criteria really don't - and if you know what the examiner is looking for, you can answer a question to methodically ensure you get a high mark. For me, I also wrote somewhat generic essay 'checklists' for each kind of english question (so for example for the Macbeth question, I would have a box on my checklist that was for having a smattering of context in every paragraph, and then I would mentally check off that box in the exam).
For maths and science, it really is just doing a ton of questions and self-marking them. There is really no shortage online, but a couple of things to search up on Google (or Bing or whatever) are 'physics and maths tutor' and 'Maths Made Easy'. Also make flashcards that cover everything on the sillibus (you can find the sillibus online).The good thing about science and maths is that the examiners are frankly not that inventive and questions repeat themsleves a lot, and you can nab a lOT of marks just by getting used to answering the standard questions!

I hope that's somewhat helpful?

What are your predicted grades at the moment??
maxsmith06
Rep:
(Original post by sturm)
For me (I got 10 9s and an A in additional maths) it was pretty much just doing all the practice papers I could find and for English lit and lang that also means finding a teacher who is willing to mark a heck of a lot of essays - then do maybe 1 essay a week/every 2 weeks (and up the intensity closer to the exam) and ask them to mark it. Also get used to the markscheme for English yourself: the questions may vary year-on-year, but the fundamental marking criteria really don't - and if you know what the examiner is looking for, you can answer a question to methodically ensure you get a high mark. For me, I also wrote somewhat generic essay 'checklists' for each kind of english question (so for example for the Macbeth question, I would have a box on my checklist that was for having a smattering of context in every paragraph, and then I would mentally check off that box in the exam).
For maths and science, it really is just doing a ton of questions and self-marking them. There is really no shortage online, but a couple of things to search up on Google (or Bing or whatever) are 'physics and maths tutor' and 'Maths Made Easy'. Also make flashcards that cover everything on the sillibus (you can find the sillibus online).The good thing about science and maths is that the examiners are frankly not that inventive and questions repeat themsleves a lot, and you can nab a lOT of marks just by getting used to answering the standard questions!

I hope that's somewhat helpful?

What are your predicted grades at the moment??
Thanks, this was really helpful. At the moment I am predicted 7's, but I think this is mainly because I didn't try at all during year 9, so I am definitely hoping for better!
sturm
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks, this was really helpful. At the moment I am predicted 7's, but I think this is mainly because I didn't try at all during year 9, so I am definitely hoping for better!
That's great!! Although 7s are already fantastic, you can absolutely push them up to 9s

Wait so you're in year 10? I'd just assumed you're in year 11 for some reason - but that is great, it gives you plenty of time!! If you ever have any questions I think there is a private messaging thing on this website (I'm relatively new so I don't quite know how it works!), so feel free to message me?
maxsmith06
Rep:
(Original post by sturm)
That's great!! Although 7s are already fantastic, you can absolutely push them up to 9s

Wait so you're in year 10? I'd just assumed you're in year 11 for some reason - but that is great, it gives you plenty of time!! If you ever have any questions I think there is a private messaging thing on this website (I'm relatively new so I don't quite know how it works!), so feel free to message me?
Thanks. Just out of interest, how 'hard' was additional maths? I'm also considering that for when I get to year 11.
sturm
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks. Just out of interest, how 'hard' was additional maths? I'm also considering that for when I get to year 11.

I mean for me I didn't find it half as hard as English GCSE (I really don't like essay exams!!), and really its just learning new maths facts - at my school it's just seen as an extra curricular club for people who like maths, which happens to have an exam at the end of it.. There isn't particularly much new problem solving compared to maths GCSE, so I'd say go for it!! Especially if you intend to study A level maths or further maths, it can only help you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
29.58%
As I expected (22)
30.99%
Harder (25)
35.21%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed