The Student Room Group

Maths

Hey. I'm a new member but have always read these forums. Im in Year 13 and studying Mathematics A Level Edexcel. I've never gotten a grade on ANY exam above a C and my actual exams are coming up as you probably know. I've tried everything: flashcards, physicsandmathstutor, mathsgenie, past papers, questions by topic and nothing seems to work. I've told my teachers and they just didnt seem to care and im very confused. With my other subjects, Economics and English Lit, i think im doing pretty well, working at a B1 towards an A. Any advice or tips from anyone who went from a grade C to a grade A? I want to attend kings which needs A*AA, and obvs Maths would be an A because its never gonna be an A* :frown:
Hi, dk if this will be much help but I got an A in maths A level Edexcel and at the start of yr 12 I was getting Cs all the way through. I gather from all the things you've tried you are practicing a lot, but honestly the only way I brought my grade up was by practicing loads and every time I didn't understand something I would ask someone who was in my class bc I find they often explain it better that teachers. I really struggled with the applied math so I'd watch youtube videos on how to do them and then after every question I would do 5 similar questions from a textbook - I found that worked really well for learning mechanics and stats. Pure maths i would say is harder to grasp but once you find a method of doing them it becomes a lot easier. I found that my teachers method of doing something wasnt always the easiest for me so i would sometimes look up different methods online or even use photomath (app) and see the method they would use. Also as you probably know a lot of the marks in maths comes from accuracy and method marks - also follow on marks. so even if you know youve done something horrifically wrong - follow it on to part b/c etc and you may pick up marks this way too.
Reply 2
Original post by charliegoodwin5
Hi, dk if this will be much help but I got an A in maths A level Edexcel and at the start of yr 12 I was getting Cs all the way through. I gather from all the things you've tried you are practicing a lot, but honestly the only way I brought my grade up was by practicing loads and every time I didn't understand something I would ask someone who was in my class bc I find they often explain it better that teachers. I really struggled with the applied math so I'd watch youtube videos on how to do them and then after every question I would do 5 similar questions from a textbook - I found that worked really well for learning mechanics and stats. Pure maths i would say is harder to grasp but once you find a method of doing them it becomes a lot easier. I found that my teachers method of doing something wasnt always the easiest for me so i would sometimes look up different methods online or even use photomath (app) and see the method they would use. Also as you probably know a lot of the marks in maths comes from accuracy and method marks - also follow on marks. so even if you know youve done something horrifically wrong - follow it on to part b/c etc and you may pick up marks this way too.

Thank you so much for replying. I've been feeling really bummed about it. Do you think it would be better for me to practice questions from the textbook or from online? And if ones from the textbook, do you suggest doing the easy questions or the last 5 ones which are the hardest?
Original post by et3dmin
Thank you so much for replying. I've been feeling really bummed about it. Do you think it would be better for me to practice questions from the textbook or from online? And if ones from the textbook, do you suggest doing the easy questions or the last 5 ones which are the hardest?

I'd do some of the easy ones easy ones from text book if you find the topic hard and then work up to doing the harder questions. It's useful to do a mix but definitely aim to be able to do the harder ones, you'll get there with practice! Questions online can be useful but the most useful are past papers and mock past papers (if you want a challenge do the 2019 edexcel past paper i'm pretty sure that was the horrific one lmao).

Quick Reply

Latest