Maths: helpp I am scaredd

Watch this thread
Fantastik-em
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello I am doing my GCSEs (I am in year 11) so I am doing foundation maths and i want to do higher because i want to be a dentist or anything mathematics or medic or technology field. I talked to my teacher she said that Because I am the new student and they have been doing higher since year 9 then I will fail because I have missed it. So do you think maths higher gcse is really hard? And will the universities even accept me for dentist or mathematics degree with a grade 5? I am really scared.
Judy O
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi there
so basically all most of the medical schools across the uk want an A level maths, in order to go to A level maths u need at least a B in gcse maths higher, but u can still get there if u go to intermediate tier and get a B , BUT you will struggle cuz you have not got enough knowledge about it , meaning the knowledge in higher maths... so I would say as long as you try and you really want it then Do it!, and if u miss so much u can catch up in the holidays and teach ur self the things that u did not study with them in class by going to ur subject bored and see the specification to pick up the listed topic and revise them... I know it sounds much but it worth it I wanna do medicine too and I am still confused where to take maths or another science instead so yeah DO NOT BE SCARED there is nothing easy and nothing hard all worth trying , trying is ur key to succeed trust me..
Best wishes
anything else anytime, ready to help!
annatikhomirova
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fantastik-em)
Hello I am doing my GCSEs (I am in year 11) so I am doing foundation maths and i want to do higher because i want to be a dentist or anything mathematics or medic or technology field. I talked to my teacher she said that Because I am the new student and they have been doing higher since year 9 then I will fail because I have missed it. So do you think maths higher gcse is really hard? And will the universities even accept me for dentist or mathematics degree with a grade 5? I am really scared.
Hiya there, personally i say go for it. Having done higher math two years ago, it isn't as difficult as it is made out to be, plus personally i think its more admirable to aim higher and then fall slightly, rather than not to try at all. If you stay in lower you aren't giving yourself the chance to try even. Up to you of course, but i think with hard work and determination you could do really well in higher.
Here are some free online resources which should help you if you decide to do higher:
Topic by topic explanations: http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resourc...aths-ebook.pdf
Pdf summary of notes: (link to download) https://www.smartnotesonline.com/cie...ath-0580#notes
Tis -John637
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I would not recommend doing higher teir because it will be too late due to all the new topics you have to revise.But you could sit november paper next year and do higher.You would have enough time to revise higher in november.However you need to ask your college if they will let you take a level maths.If they will not let you you can self study it but you will need to work hard if you want to do well self studying it
Fantastik-em
Rep:
(Original post by Tis -John637)
I would not recommend doing higher teir because it will be too late due to all the new topics you have to revise.But you could sit november paper next year and do higher.You would have enough time to revise higher in november.However you need to ask your college if they will let you take a level maths.If they will not let you you can self study it but you will need to work hard if you want to do well self studying it
Yes I know it is too late but I heard that many university of medic don’t accept students with a retake gcse That’s why I am scared!!!!
Fantastik-em
Rep:
(Original post by Judy O)
Hi there
so basically all most of the medical schools across the uk want an A level maths, in order to go to A level maths u need at least a B in gcse maths higher, but u can still get there if u go to intermediate tier and get a B , BUT you will struggle cuz you have not got enough knowledge about it , meaning the knowledge in higher maths... so I would say as long as you try and you really want it then Do it!, and if u miss so much u can catch up in the holidays and teach ur self the things that u did not study with them in class by going to ur subject bored and see the specification to pick up the listed topic and revise them... I know it sounds much but it worth it I wanna do medicine too and I am still confused where to take maths or another science instead so yeah DO NOT BE SCARED there is nothing easy and nothing hard all worth trying , trying is ur key to succeed trust me..
Best wishes
anything else anytime, ready to help!
Thank you I know I need to work hard but I am just scared and I don’t know what do or even be in the future and I am afraid If i did higher I will fail because I have a little time left!!!!
Tis -John637
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yes I know it is too late but I heard that many university of medic don’t accept students with a retake gcse That’s why I am scared!!!!
As long as you retake it and do well. I don't think they would mind. They mostly care about A levels. But you need to get a 6 in maths when you retake it.
Last edited by Tis -John637; 1 year ago
Fantastik-em
Rep:
(Original post by Tis -John637)
As long as you retake it and do well. I don't think they would mind. They mostly care about A levels. But you need to get a 6 in maths when you retake it.
I hope so.. thank you for your help.
Fantastik-em
Rep:
(Original post by annatikhomirova)
Hiya there, personally i say go for it. Having done higher math two years ago, it isn't as difficult as it is made out to be, plus personally i think its more admirable to aim higher and then fall slightly, rather than not to try at all. If you stay in lower you aren't giving yourself the chance to try even. Up to you of course, but i think with hard work and determination you could do really well in higher.
Here are some free online resources which should help you if you decide to do higher:
Topic by topic explanations: http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resourc...aths-ebook.pdf
Pdf summary of notes: (link to download) https://www.smartnotesonline.com/cie...ath-0580#notes
I want to do higher but in foundation i think I am going to get 3 on my mocks which is not good enough to do higher and I don’t think I am smart enough to do it...
Reanna.xxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
If you want to study mathematics at university then you will need A level maths which you usually can’t take if you haven’t done higher maths at gcse. Similarly, a few med schools require maths A level and most require atleast a 6 in maths gcse. I was really bad at maths in year 11 and managed to improve by 70 marks (from a grade 5 to a 7) between November and February, with a lot of hard work! So, it’s definitely possible and honestly not as horrific as it seems. Speak to your teacher and explain to them that you’re willing to put the work in
Last edited by Reanna.xxx; 1 year ago
Fantastik-em
Rep:
(Original post by Reanna.xxx)
If you want to study mathematics at university then you will need A level maths which you usually can’t take if you haven’t done higher maths at gcse. Similarly, a few med schools require maths A level and most require atleast a 6 in maths gcse. I was really bad at maths in year 11 and managed to improve by 70 marks (from a grade 5 to a 7) between November and February, with a lot of hard work! So, it’s definitely possible and honestly not as horrific as it seems. Speak to your teacher and explain to them that you’re willing to put the work in
Ok thank you very much!!
Reanna.xxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Ok thank you very much!!
No problem, goodluck! You are definitely smart enough to do higher maths and get a decent grade, it’s all practice and you’ve got plenty of time!😁
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (144)
42.35%
Not yet, but I will soon (61)
17.94%
No (135)
39.71%

Watched Threads