username3477548
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
ive heard that they put psotiron into the bloodstream and then observe the gamma rays produced when postiron electron annihilation happens.

firstlty, this sounds rly stupid but it didnt click that we are made from atoms toooo. so does that mean cells r made from atoms? also, DNA is made from atoms too then?

Secondly, if electron psotrion annihilation happens, doesn't that mean that the e-s are knocked off the atoms, so that will amek them unstable and they'll react with other things? isnt that danrgerous?

thank you for answering ym stupid questions aha
Whallen
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I will answer your questions in the order they come
yes cells are made from atoms
yes DNA is made from atoms
if accepting this is hard then consider the size of a cell vs the size of an atom
the average cell is around 0.01mm in size
the average atom is 0.0000001mm in size
therefore atoms are so small in comparison to cells that you don't really need to worry about individual atoms in comparison to any part of the human body

Next about the PET scanner
In electron positron annihilation two gamma photons are produced which are then detected by the scanner. Will this ionise some atoms? Yes. but removing electrons from a few atoms isn't enough to do anything really that harmful to the human body. I'd be more worried about the gamma radiation if I was you.
If your next question is about whether gamma rays are dangerous then let me answer that for you.
Yes in large amounts but PET scanners only deal in small amounts so its all good
well it's mostly all good
username3477548
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Whallen)
I will answer your questions in the order they come
yes cells are made from atoms
yes DNA is made from atoms
if accepting this is hard then consider the size of a cell vs the size of an atom
the average cell is around 0.01mm in size
the average atom is 0.0000001mm in size
therefore atoms are so small in comparison to cells that you don't really need to worry about individual atoms in comparison to any part of the human body

Next about the PET scanner
In electron positron annihilation two gamma photons are produced which are then detected by the scanner. Will this ionise some atoms? Yes. but removing electrons from a few atoms isn't enough to do anything really that harmful to the human body. I'd be more worried about the gamma radiation if I was you.
If your next question is about whether gamma rays are dangerous then let me answer that for you.
Yes in large amounts but PET scanners only deal in small amounts so its all good
well it's mostly all good
Thanks so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.82%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.45%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (37)
16.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads