shausutton
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Since September I have been working towards gaining a BA (Hons) in Philosophy and Psychology from the Open University. I have already obtained a 2:1 in Theatre and Performance at the University of Surrey. I wanted to continue education but did not want to narrow my knowledge by doing a masters. However, I am starting to worry that I have made the wrong decision and not sure a second degree will actually benefit me.

Any help/advice would be great!
Dee-Emma
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Worth and benefit? Define. Personal satisfaction? Lifetime income? Social recognition? Can you clarify your concerns?
shausutton
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Dee-Emma)
Worth and benefit? Define. Personal satisfaction? Lifetime income? Social recognition? Can you clarify your concerns?
I'm mainly looking at the benefit in terms of a future career. I'm beginning to question if doing a second degree as opposed to a masters in theatre and performance has hindered my career prospects as opposed to furthering them. Socially, I feel as though others may see my second degree as an example of indecisiveness rather than curiosity about a range of disciplines.
Dee-Emma
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by shausutton)
I'm mainly looking at the benefit in terms of a future career. I'm beginning to question if doing a second degree as opposed to a masters in theatre and performance has hindered my career prospects as opposed to furthering them. Socially, I feel as though others may see my second degree as an example of indecisiveness rather than curiosity about a range of disciplines.
I guess it all comes down to how you see the cohesiveness of your study path. Have you got a personal narrative that links your study, and what do you perceive to be your career direction? From my limited perspective I can see the commonality of themes between the artistic performance of the stage and the social performance of life. What do you see?
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Since September I have been working towards gaining a BA (Hons) in Philosophy and Psychology from the Open University. I have already obtained a 2:1 in Theatre and Performance at the University of Surrey. I wanted to continue education but did not want to narrow my knowledge by doing a masters. However, I am starting to worry that I have made the wrong decision and not sure a second degree will actually benefit me.

Any help/advice would be great!
Hi,

Well done for obtaining a 2:1 in Theatre and Performance here at the University of Surrey. I am currently studying Psychology so if you have any questions about Psychology in general then please let me know.

I would advise you to have a think, and weigh up the pros and cons of doing a second degree compared to a masters or just getting a job with the qualifications you have. This way it may be easier to see what one you will benefit from most. Is there a particular reason why you want to study Philosophy and Psychology as this may also help with with your decision.

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)
shausutton
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep)
Hi,

Well done for obtaining a 2:1 in Theatre and Performance here at the University of Surrey. I am currently studying Psychology so if you have any questions about Psychology in general then please let me know.

I would advise you to have a think, and weigh up the pros and cons of doing a second degree compared to a masters or just getting a job with the qualifications you have. This way it may be easier to see what one you will benefit from most. Is there a particular reason why you want to study Philosophy and Psychology as this may also help with with your decision.

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)
Hi Becca,

Thanks for your response and I appreciate the option to discuss Psychology.

Personally, it feels like a difficult one. I thought of doing a masters, but nothing really appealed to me and I have not wanted to narrow my education to one topic. In sixth form, I had a personal passion for Psychology and obtained a high mark. Also, it is lockdown which spurred me to begin a second degree. It was too late to apply for a masters, my mental health was suffering and I wanted something to keep me going. Now I am starting to think I have made a step-back decision rather than something that will actually help me in my degree.

I am also starting to worry that choosing a second degree rather than a masters will negatively impact employers view of me.

I still love theatre, I just don't feel there is a long-term career here for me.

I hope this provides some extra context and information!
Thanks,
Shauna
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What careers are you looking at? I'm not sure that a second undergrad enhances your appeal to employers - in many cases a masters doesn't either. I don't think that should discourage you from doing something you enjoy.
shausutton
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
What careers are you looking at? I'm not sure that a second undergrad enhances your appeal to employers - in many cases a masters doesn't either. I don't think that should discourage you from doing something you enjoy.
That's a good point, I hadn't really thought that a masters doesn't necessarily improve my appeal to employers.

I got a graduate job as a technical events co-ordinator until the Covid-19 redundancies hit, and since then I've just been thinking about jobs I could try. Psychologist, performer, writer, perhaps journalism.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I got a graduate job as a technical events co-ordinator until the Covid-19 redundancies hit, and since then I've just been thinking about jobs I could try. Psychologist, performer, writer, perhaps journalism.
Well - a broader education could be helpful in all of those options. Plus you are probably not missing out on valuable work experience at the moment....
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi Becca,

Thanks for your response and I appreciate the option to discuss Psychology.

Personally, it feels like a difficult one. I thought of doing a masters, but nothing really appealed to me and I have not wanted to narrow my education to one topic. In sixth form, I had a personal passion for Psychology and obtained a high mark. Also, it is lockdown which spurred me to begin a second degree. It was too late to apply for a masters, my mental health was suffering and I wanted something to keep me going. Now I am starting to think I have made a step-back decision rather than something that will actually help me in my degree.

I am also starting to worry that choosing a second degree rather than a masters will negatively impact employers view of me.

I still love theatre, I just don't feel there is a long-term career here for me.

I hope this provides some extra context and information!
Thanks,
Shauna
Hi Shauna,

Thank you for getting back to me with extra context and information

I think regardless of a second degree or masters it wouldn't change the employers view of you negatively, either way they will see you are committed to learning, and have interests and want to continue to build up your skillset in different areas especially if you decide to do a second undergrad course. It's definitely a hard decision and shouldn't be decided easily and quickly. If it's something your passionate about and you are dedicated to the course then the undergrad course may be better. There's nothing worse than doing a course you are interested in but not too sure as it makes learning the content harder as you are not fully committed if that make sense?

I hope this helps!

Becca
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
14.9%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (97)
32.12%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.58%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.61%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.63%
I think it's an unfair expectation (76)
25.17%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.99%

Watched Threads