Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
je suis un peu confuse parce que in my notes it says that carbon dating uses isotopic data, but how? i searched it up, and I just got that carbon dating uses the radioactive decay of materials to work out the age, so how is isotopic data used? thank you in advance
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
je suis un peu confuse parce que in my notes it says that carbon dating uses isotopic data, but how? i searched it up, and I just got that carbon dating uses the radioactive decay of materials to work out the age, so how is isotopic data used? thank you in advance
It uses the relative proportion of the 2 isotopes, Carbon 12 and Carbon 14.
Carbon 12 is stable and constitutes around 99% of all carbon on earth. Carbon 14 is unstable and decays with a half life of 5730 years.

It is by measuring the amount of C 14 remaining in once living organisms, that their age can be determined. Or more correctly, how long ago the organism died. While alive the ratio of C12 to C14 is thought to have remained constant. After death the C 14 decays but is not replaced.
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Stonebridge)
It uses the relative proportion of the 2 isotopes, Carbon 12 and Carbon 14.
Carbon 12 is stable and constitutes around 99% of all carbon on earth. Carbon 14 is unstable and decays with a half life of 5730 years.

It is by measuring the amount of C 14 remaining in once living organisms, that their age can be determined. Or more correctly, how long ago the organism died. While alive the ratio of C12 to C14 is thought to have remained constant. After death the C 14 decays but is not replaced.
merci beacoup!! x
User135792468
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
Carbon-14 is a radioactive isotope of carbon. It is much less abundant than the standard carbon-12 but we digress.

Life on earth is carbon-based. So everything has a mixture of carbon-12 and carbon-14 within them. The half life of carbon-14 is known so scientists can just measure the radiation from the object of interest then works backwards using the half life to calculate the original age of something
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.23%
Uncertainty around my education (67)
11.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.5%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.75%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (30)
5.23%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (61)
10.63%
Financial worries (36)
6.27%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (23)
4.01%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.92%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.61%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (57)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.19%

Watched Threads