How do you get rid of the feeling...that everyone is doing better than you?

Watch
meticulouswizard
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I am in Year 12 and I feel like everyone is doing so much more revision than me and are way ahead of me.

I have procrastinated and made a big mistake.

So I have to start making my notes now for all the content we have covered so far in detail followed by flashcards so I can test my self on the content followed by exam qs to get the practise as our mocks start on the 4th, although we only have 6 papers in total for all 4 subjects, I want to take these seriously.

But I have two issues:
1) Whenever I do revision I go into a lot of detail, like I delve into the topic so much and I don't know WHEN to stop
2) I feel like everyone is doing better than me and I don't know whether this being competitive or selfish but I want to be better than everyone else in my class , help?
username5484000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Study6076)
I am in Year 12 and I feel like everyone is doing so much more revision than me and are way ahead of me.

I have procrastinated and made a big mistake.

So I have to start making my notes now for all the content we have covered so far in detail followed by flashcards so I can test my self on the content followed by exam qs to get the practise as our mocks start on the 4th, although we only have 6 papers in total for all 4 subjects, I want to take these seriously.

But I have two issues:
1) Whenever I do revision I go into a lot of detail, like I delve into the topic so much and I don't know WHEN to stop
2) I feel like everyone is doing better than me and I don't know whether this being competitive or selfish but I want to be better than everyone else in my class , help?
Hi! I'm in year 11 and to be honest I'm currently feeling what you are feeling right now, I have mocks this week and next week and have barely revised so I'm stuck as **** right now.
When revising, remind yourself to take a break, a friend and teacher suggested that put a timer on how long you want the break for or lock some apps so you can't go on it. Ask your classmates to help you or tell you which topics to go over and what if the really detailed revision helps you ace your exams? You're not being selfish, you're really not. We all have those moments where we compare ourselves to the people around us but everyone works at different paces, and what if the idea of you wanting to do better is a huge motivation or push for you? We should all try to aim high so there's nothing wrong with that.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
aim to improve
cleveranimal56
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
aim to improve
Probably not what they had in mind (short and to the point I guess ). But really, I'm in year 11 and have my mocks in Feb (yay lucky me, late mocks!) but haven't revised for them. Oh and I am aiming for all 9s competing with 179 other students that go to a selective all boys school with me in London). So you can see that I'm more screwed than you xD, but in reality you're going to do good! Your revision looks like it is going at a steady pace, and as for delving into too much detail, I normally figure out when to stop based on how much time it takes. E.g (if it takes me 1hr to complete notes on one page of a textbook, I know I need to shorten this). I hope this helped!
//yoyo//
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
See, it's ok to feel this way, you are not selfish. but what isn't ok is comparing yourself to others. Just as much how others suffering doesnt belittle yours, others success shouldn't undervalue yours. Yes, procrastination is a horrible habit, but now your time management skills HAVE to be in activation mode. Since it seems like you don't have much time, I suggest you don't waste your time in making notes rather read and practice question simultaneously. This way you will get used to the format, and actively recall information, or start with the flashcards immediately. trust it will help a lot. And as mysteryjoestarkj said, have breaks between sessions but PLAN them, it will help too if you use the syllabus as a check list.
Your time , effort and success is between your hands,
YOU GOT THIS!!!!!!!
go destroy your classmates >:-D
meticulouswizard
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by //yoyo//)
See, it's ok to feel this way, you are not selfish. but what isn't ok is comparing yourself to others. Just as much how others suffering doesnt belittle yours, others success shouldn't undervalue yours. Yes, procrastination is a horrible habit, but now your time management skills HAVE to be in activation mode. Since it seems like you don't have much time, I suggest you don't waste your time in making notes rather read and practice question simultaneously. This way you will get used to the format, and actively recall information, or start with the flashcards immediately. trust it will help a lot. And as mysteryjoestarkj said, have breaks between sessions but PLAN them, it will help too if you use the syllabus as a check list.
Your time , effort and success is between your hands,
YOU GOT THIS!!!!!!!
go destroy your classmates >:-D
I do have notes already but I want to add to them and make them more detailed and we haven't covered that much content ? If i work hard would it end well for me? Also if I don't make them now , I will have to do them after mocks and we will have covered much more content then...so when?
Last edited by meticulouswizard; 7 months ago
username5484000
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Study6076)
I do have notes already but I want to add to them and make them more detailed and we haven't covered that much content ? If i work hard would it end well for me? Also if I don't make them now , I will have to do them after mocks and we will have covered much more content then...so when?
if you know that after the mocks you'll have covered more content, go ahead and start doing them right now, there's seriously nothing wrong with that! Plus if you understand the concept of the new topic before anyone else does then that's just brilliant, you can help them out. There's never been anything wrong with extra learning BUT don't force yourself if you don't want to and give yourself a mini study break
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (49)
28.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.19%
No I am happy with my choice (95)
55.56%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (13)
7.6%

Watched Threads