The Student Room Group

Architectural Technology at Salford

Has anyone enrolled for Architectural Technology accelerated degree at University Salford? Are accelerated degrees difficult?
What is the job opportunity for architectural technologists in UK?
Original post by anonymousgirl4
Has anyone enrolled for Architectural Technology accelerated degree at University Salford? Are accelerated degrees difficult?

No idea about Salford University but main job opportunity is to become an Architectural Technician working for architects. Is this exactly what you want to do?
I'm still not sure. I love architectural designing. Their course contains some studio works. I already hold a degree in civil engineering. So wanted to learn something from the beginning and should be accelerated one. The London Metropolitan University also offers something like that.
I'm still not sure. I love architectural designing. Their course contains some studio works. I already hold a degree in civil engineering. So wanted to learn something from the beginning and should be accelerated one. The London Metropolitan University also offers something like that.

So you want to do "Architecture Technician" side rather than "Interior Designing" ?

If you love designing colour schemes, creating beautiful space and, lighting, selecting materials or furniture as well as do some "interior" architecture - for example moving stairs, knocking down walls, perhaps "Interior Architecture & Design" is the right course for you.

To become an architect alone, it will require you to study 5-7 years before you can become one.

To become an Architectural Technician, it might be little too boring when you work for an architect. I was an Architectural Technician for 2 years before I was made reducancy back in 1990. Back then I did not have AutoCAD!
So does that mean we cannot work as an architect with just BA (hons) in Architecture which is a 3 year degree with Part I RIBA exemption ?
So does that mean we cannot work as an architect with just BA (hons) in Architecture which is a 3 year degree with Part I RIBA exemption ?

Yes you can - work for someone else's firm.

From my research there arent many firms hiring people with just a part 1 degree as most people finish the whole 7 years to get hired at the end
Thanks for the info.
Original post by GatoMessi
So you want to do "Architecture Technician" side rather than "Interior Designing" ?

If you love designing colour schemes, creating beautiful space and, lighting, selecting materials or furniture as well as do some "interior" architecture - for example moving stairs, knocking down walls, perhaps "Interior Architecture & Design" is the right course for you.
To reiterate -
The role and functions of the Chartered Architectural Technologist are different to those of the Architectural Technician. A CIAT Accredited Programme such as the one at Salford may lead to progression to Chartered Architectural Technologist, and they are recognised on a par with other Chartered professionals in the UK.
Chartered Members of CIAT are qualified to offer design services, manage projects from inception to completion and/or run their own practice.
To become an architect alone, it will require you to study 5-7 years before you can become one.

To become an Architectural Technician, it might be little too boring when you work for an architect. I was an Architectural Technician for 2 years before I was made reducancy back in 1990. Back then I did not have AutoCAD!

To reiterate -
The role and functions of the Chartered Architectural Technologist are different to those of the Architectural Technician. A CIAT Accredited Programme such as the one at Salford may lead to progression to Chartered Architectural Technologist, and they are recognised on a par with other Chartered professionals in the UK.

Chartered Members of CIAT are qualified to offer design services, manage projects from inception to completion and/or run their own practice.

Architectural Technologists no longer simply work for architects. They can perform same duties as architects, such as design projects but they also manage projects from start to finish or run their own practice. They are also able to earn same amount of money.

The discipline has now evolved, so that is equal to other built environment professions. My brother studied Architectural Technology. You should check the official institution: Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists.

Quick Reply

Latest