cherrybunny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
An increase in the intensity of exercise produces an increase in the volume of carbon dioxide produced.
However, Figure 3 shows that the pCO2 in air breathed out did not show a large increase during the exercise.
Suggest one physiological change that would cause this result. Explain how the physiological change would allow for the removal of the increase in the volume of
Calculate the ratio of pO2 to pCO2 in breathed-out air at this time. Show your working.

You dont need Figure 3 as it explains what it shows anyway.
I can't think of a way that this is possible unless it's because anaerobic respiration is occuring but in this case CO2 is still produced as a byproduct.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi Cherry sorry to hear that your height and weight have become static :mad: - I would suggest cooking some sumptuous meals with high protein and calorie content, as well as rich in B group vitamins [whole grains have a lot] cos growth requires energy and some B vitamins are precursors of coenzymes needed in e.g. the Kreb's cycle [e.g. riboflavine is necessary for synthesis of flavine adenine dinucleotide [FAD - which yields 3 ATP when oxidized]].

Ok now that your stunting is sorted , let us tackle your Q.

Physiological changes that can help get rid of the CO2 include:
(remember we have lungs, but between the two lungs, there is the seat of love [coloquially].

-- Heart rate speeds up[called tachycardia] meaning blood flow to the muscles increases [can do so substantially], hence the ability of the blood to carry CO2 away from muscles increases.

-- The drop in pH is sensed by the medulla in the brain, which sends nerve impulses to the muscles of respiration [intercostal muscles and diaphragm], and this increases the depth and rate of breathing, hence getting rid of more CO2 into the atmosphere.

etc etc.

Let me know when you put on 2 ft of height; I have connections with Harlem Globetrotters lol!
Be safe!

M.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads