Car Insurance help

Watch
Tanimir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I have been insured with More Than Smart Wheels young driver insurance which includes a Blackbox. The way it works is they track the mileage I do and I can only drive my car for the mileage which I have purchased. This policy ends in 16 days. Rather than buying more miles which is stupid expensive I took out another insurance early that is without a backbox at a great price, when I called the old insurance they said that I cannot cancel my insurance without losing my No claims and can't have two policies. I called the new insurance and they advised me to keep my old insurance until it ends and provide them with the no claims after the policy ends and that they have no issue that I have dual insurance.
I am now confused as to what to do, do I cancel this insurance I just took and just buy miles or if there is a way that they can disable/freeze my box and not cancel my policy as if I exceed the mileage they will probably revoke the policy and I lose the NCB even if I am insured on another insurance.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Tanimir)
I have been insured with More Than Smart Wheels young driver insurance which includes a Blackbox. The way it works is they track the mileage I do and I can only drive my car for the mileage which I have purchased. This policy ends in 16 days. Rather than buying more miles which is stupid expensive I took out another insurance early that is without a backbox at a great price, when I called the old insurance they said that I cannot cancel my insurance without losing my No claims and can't have two policies. I called the new insurance and they advised me to keep my old insurance until it ends and provide them with the no claims after the policy ends and that they have no issue that I have dual insurance.
I am now confused as to what to do, do I cancel this insurance I just took and just buy miles or if there is a way that they can disable/freeze my box and not cancel my policy as if I exceed the mileage they will probably revoke the policy and I lose the NCB even if I am insured on another insurance.
It's usually always against the terms of the policy to be doubly insured and you are now liable for a cancellation. This can have a lasting impact for life.
TheDE
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It’s a weird one, legally you can be insured by as many people as you want. However, to claim on more than one of your policies would be fraudulent.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
It's usually always against the terms of the policy to be doubly insured and you are now liable for a cancellation. This can have a lasting impact for life.
I agree- quite a few companies can get funny about it. And for the companies that don't like it, it will most likely be in their terms and conditions somewhere.

Couldn't you just buy a few extra miles to last you until the end of the policy?
Joshkav
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
I agree- quite a few companies can get funny about it. And for the companies that don't like it, it will most likely be in their terms and conditions somewhere.

Couldn't you just buy a few extra miles to last you until the end of the policy?
From when I was with More Than nearly 2 years ago, they wanted to charge me £300 per 1,000 miles top-up. And the minimum top-up is 1,000 miles. Or at least, when I was with them. I got my policy with them for 5,000 miles, then got a new job which would take my mileage to about 20,000 miles a year. Needless to say, I cancelled with More Than and just went with someone else, no way was I paying an another £4,500 just for the 1 years NCD. Not worth it.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Joshkav)
From when I was with More Than nearly 2 years ago, they wanted to charge me £300 per 1,000 miles top-up. And the minimum top-up is 1,000 miles. Or at least, when I was with them. I got my policy with them for 5,000 miles, then got a new job which would take my mileage to about 20,000 miles a year. Needless to say, I cancelled with More Than and just went with someone else, no way was I paying an another £4,500 just for the 1 years NCD. Not worth it.
All this paying for extra miles is why I always say stay away from black box policies. Complete rip off.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (44)
27.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.81%
No I am happy with my choice (89)
55.97%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.55%

Watched Threads