i want to be a lawyer but i don’t know what to pick for GCSE

Watch
eenya155
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
i’m in year 9 and in a few weeks i will have to pick my GCSE options. i want to be a lawyer but i’m not sure what other options besides history i should pick. i’ve also heard that sociology is also a option for someone who wants to be a lawyer but my school doesn’t offer sociology for GCSE, so i’m not sure what else i should pick

i’m also thinking about religious studies or business studies but i’m not sure if they would help me in any way
Last edited by eenya155; 9 months ago
Icosagon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I think it shouldn’t really matter what you pick for gcse! History is great though...
username4910484
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by eenya155)
i’m in year 9 and in a few weeks i will have to pick my GCSE options. i want to be a lawyer but i’m not sure what other options besides history i should pick. i’ve also heard that sociology is also a option for someone who wants to be a lawyer but my school doesn’t offer sociology for GCSE, so i’m not sure what else i should pick
No one will care what GCSE subjects you pick. If you think you might want to do a language at A-Level, pick a language at GCSE. Arts based subjects are not the easy option, they will take up a significant amount of your time. If you are OK/ good at science, pick triple science. Triple scince has less content than double science + an unrelated subject. Equally if your school doesn't offer triple scince, don't panic.

Pick things that you enjoy.
Last edited by username4910484; 9 months ago
username3300916
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
A language is always useful to have,
I say just choose what you enjoy, history would be helpful
_kvymnnn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Don't think it matters too much, just do what you think you'll do well in/what you might want to take at a-level. History's a good option for setting a foundation I guess?
nikkiblonsky
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
word of advice pick the SUBJECTS THAT YOU ARE INTERESTED IN. Gcses dont stop you from being a lawyer so pick you things you actually like and are interested in
nikkiblonsky
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by glassalice)
No one will care what GCSE subjects you pick. If you think you might want to do a language at A-Level, pick a language at GCSE. Arts based subjects are not the easy option, they will take up a significant amount of your time. If you are OK/ good at science, pick triple science. Triple scince has less content than double science + an unrelated subject. Equally if your school doesn't offer triple scince, don't panic.

Pick things that you enjoy.
imo if you aint really passionate about science I wouldnt suggest triple since it can get really boring. Plus triple isnt really needed anyways
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
As above GCSE subjects are unimportant, although grades (i.e. overall grade profile) may matter more or less for various universities. Technically speaking though language qualifications in a language you are fluent in already usually aren't considered by universities, unless they are specifically designed for people fluent in that language already (in which case they will generally be literature or creative writing based or similar).
Danibear_365
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

i’m also thinking about religious studies or business studies but i’m not sure if they would help me in any way
RS would be very helpful, as the new syllabus is based on big questions, arguments (in favour of and against) and debates which is what a lawyer does! More so than business, Although if you have an interest in business, or are looking at corporate law it could be (vaguely) helpful. it is early days yet but make sure you have a decent number of writing subjects (as well as your core Maths, English & Sciences) as GCSEs count for Oxbridge etc.
Triple Science (if you are good at it, have space and enjoy it) might help with law, as you are essentially learning and memorising rigid but ever-changing concepts - just like the law!
Sociology is useful for criminal law but it’s not a prerequisite for law in general so don’t worry about it. If you like it take it for a level but it’s not necessary at all for law if you don’t. I think it might help you to get in the head a of client, and formulate better arguments but search for the benefits and don’t go on our hearsay!

Good luck and best wishes!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (26)
13.54%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.25%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.69%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
41.15%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (48)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.56%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.81%

Watched Threads