The Student Room Group

What to do about my reference?

I am applying to university and my current college requires that they write my reference if I apply through them. I don't want this as I feel that my tutor doesn't know me. My tutor from my old college is willing to write it and I'd be happy for them to do it. My question is whether I should apply as an independent student (they're willing to write it whether I link to the college or not) or with the old college? How will this look to admissions? Will it make my application look weird if it isn't with my current college? I've already missed my college's deadline for handing it in and I can't really apply with them anymore, so don't suggest this please. If you think this is really bad or I'm stupid for missing my current college's deadline and missing that opportunity, please be nice. I'm kind of very stressed out about this and just want advice of what to do, not derision for what I've already done.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Tinyclanger5
I am applying to university and my current college requires that they write my reference if I apply through them. I don't want this as I feel that my tutor doesn't know me. My tutor from my old college is willing to write it and I'd be happy for them to do it. My question is whether I should apply as an independent student (they're willing to write it whether I link to the college or not) or with the old college? How will this look to admissions? Will it make my application look weird if it isn't with my current college? I've already missed my college's deadline for handing it in and I can't really apply with them anymore, so don't suggest this please. If you think this is really bad or I'm stupid for missing my current college's deadline and missing that opportunity, please be nice. I'm kind of very stressed out about this and just want advice of what to do, not derision for what I've already done.

You've said it yourself - you don't have any other options so just go ahead and apply independently now. If unis wonder why hopefully they will ask you and you will get a chance to explain your thinking to them.
Original post by Tinyclanger5

You need to ask your old college/tutor how they want to provide the reference.
If you apply individually now then you can add your reference however they ask once you’ve completed all of your parts of the application

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending