Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7625173.stm

What do you make of it?

ReputationRep:
    Nice guys finish last.

ReputationRep:
    Guardian readers will have a heart attack.

ReputationRep:
    Having traditional views isn't exactly 'sexism'. But it's obvious that men with these views are going to have to earn more if they provide the only income. Men whose wives also work don't have to earn as much to sustain the same lifestyle as there are two incomes in their family.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Any fool can see that having traditional views in itself doesn't make you richer. However, having these views may affect what type of career you choose. I'd be willing to bet that there are more traditionalists in my engineering course than there are in courses like politics or woman's studies.

Not all careers pay the same and it could be that men with more traditional views are more likely to seek out these higher paying careers.

ReputationRep:
    Even if it's true still doesn't hide the facts that those men are complete tossers.

ReputationRep:
    This study is a farce

ReputationRep:
    Huzzah!

ReputationRep:
    The study says that men who are sexist tend to be more succesful because they like power rather than it being the sexist views. So, no, guardian readers won't have a heart attack. It just confirms what we all think domineering sexist men are anyway

(Original post by she)
    The study says that men who are sexist tend to be more succesful because they like power rather than it being the sexist views. So, no, guardian readers won't have a heart attack. It just confirms what we all think domineering sexist men are anyway
    I'd extend that to say that anyone who uses discrimination, is power-hungry to some extent.
    Would you say that is a fair judgement?

ReputationRep:
    To quote an australian I once met "All b***ards are b***ards. But some b***stards is real b***stards".

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be poor and happy.

(Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    I'd rather be poor and happy.
    Have you ever met anyone who is both poor and happy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    I'd extend that to say that anyone who uses discrimination, is power-hungry to some extent.
    Would you say that is a fair judgement?
    It depends on what you mean by discrimination. For example, I don't think racists are racist because they are power hungry, but because they are afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It's easy to be poor and jolly, rich and stressed. The less I can buy the more content I'm with what I have, but if I can buy more then I need more.

(Original post by she)
    Yes. It's easy to be poor and jolly, rich and stressed. The less I can buy the more content I'm with what I have, but if I can buy more then I need more.
    how can you be content with what you have if it is crap stuff??

ReputationRep:
    how can you be content with what you have if it is crap stuff??

Why should someone be happier because they have a flat screen tv instead of a normal one, or a jaguar instead of a second hand car? That's an attitude I can't understand.

(Original post by she)
    Why should someone be happier because they have a flat screen tv instead of a normal one, or a jaguar instead of a second hand car? That's an attitude I can't understand.
    That is not answering my question.

How can be happy if you can't afford to have the luxuries other people can afford?

ReputationRep:
    Depends how poor you mean. The non-sexists in this survey still have a job. So they'd probably have a house. And poor people in crappy houses can still be happy. I'm not sure about people on the street.

(Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    And poor people in crappy houses can still be happy.
    How? From the way you sound, I doubt you lived in a 'crappy house'.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.