The Student Room Group

2021 UK-US College Applicants Thread

Hey!
I can’t find a thread for this anywhere else so I thought I’d make one to discuss our applications!

Introduce yourself with:

1. Which colleges you’re applying to

2. GCSEs/predicted A-Levels, IB etc., SAT/ACT

3. Extracurriculars

4. Any decisions you’ve received

Excited to get to know you all!

Scroll to see replies

Hey,

I'm applying to a bunch of LACs: Colby, Colgate, Grinnell, MHC, Oberlin, Wellesley, Whitman, Williams and maybe Wesleyan - all as a prospective Bio major

Edit - Jan 3rd: Also applying to Muhlenburg, Gettysburg, Dickinson and Agnes Scott - I love Agnes Scott and their acceptance rate is 70%, so hopefully I stand a chance unlike all my others...

My GCSEs: 6A*s, 3As, 1B
A Levels (achieved - I'm a gap year applicant): 4A*s + A* epq
Applying test optional because couldn't sit the SAT

ECs: Founded LGBT club and was president and treasurer , Drama club president - acting (inc leading roles), directing, school singing club leader + participant, internship at a major research uni, 2 part time jobs, student council roll involving fundraising,

I've applied RD everywhere so I'm not going to hear back at least for another 2.5 months!

28th Jan - Acceptance from Agnes Scott!
16th Feb - Invitation for the Marvin B Perry Presidential Scholarship
26th Feb (25th Pacific time) - Rejection from Whitman College

10th March - Rejection from Muhlenberg
12th March - Rejection from Grinnell
15th March - Rejection from Dickinson

16th March - Waitlist from Gettysburg (:confused::confused::confused: still don't think my application was complete and was fully expecting a rejection) - Declined Waitlist Spot

19th March - Rejection from Colby
20th March - Rejections from Wellesley and Oberlin

23rd March - Rejection from MHC (I love my life so much rn...)
24th March - Rejection from Colgate (was such a cute rejection letter!! Made me smile :smile: )

25th March - Waitlist from Williams - Accepted Waitlist spot
???th March - Wesleyan

edit - March 26th: So I've basically finished this all! (I have Wesleyan coming out on Saturday (unconfirmed) but I'm 100% getting rejected so :dontknow:.
Right now I'm waiting to hear back about financial aid information from AUC in the Netherlands, but unless I get accepted off the waitlist at Williams, I'll probably be going to LIS (London Interdisciplinary School) in September, which I'm very excited about!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by keep_drowning
Hey,

I'm applying to a bunch of LACs: Colby, Colgate, Grinnell, MHC, Oberlin, Wellesley, Whitman, Williams and maybe Wesleyan - all as a prospective Bio major

My GCSEs: 6A*s, 3As, 1B
A Levels (achieved - I'm a gap year applicant): 4A*s + A* epq
Applying test optional because couldn't sit the SAT

ECs: Founded LGBT club and was president and treasurer , Drama club president - acting (inc leading roles), directing, school singing club leader + participant, internship at a major research uni, 2 part time jobs, student council roll involving fundraising,

I've applied RD everywhere so I'm not going to hear back at least for another 2.5 months!

WOAHH you’ve done so much!! Good luck with everything! I might apply to colby but I’m not 100% sure still haha
Reply 3
Forgot to introduce myself haha!

1. Which colleges you’re applying to
UNC Chapel Hill, Tulane, Stanford, Yale, Harvard, UChicago, Brown, Cornell, Amherst, maybe Colby, Dartmouth, and maybe Davidson
GCSEs 9,9,9,9,9,9,9,8,8A, A-Levels A*A*A*A predicted, 1450 SAT but going test optional for most
3. Extracurriculars
Co-founded and co-direct online British Sign Language learning platform and creating book for publishing where profits will buy copies for local primary schools to teach sign language, co-founded and co-direct a platform connecting young people to local opportunities, 3-month research project with undergraduate students on Zika Virus, editor of scientific articles for high school students and educational resources for international elementary and middle schools, co-director of community engagement at an organisation, part-time job as barista, photography (top 7 youth international in 2019 SWPA), 7 instruments and school clubs/regional choir

I got semi-finalist for the Morehead-Cain scholarship at UNC and am waiting for EA decisions from UNC and Tulane, all the rest I’m doing RD :smile:
Original post by emmacharl
WOAHH you’ve done so much!! Good luck with everything! I might apply to colby but I’m not 100% sure still haha

You've really done a lot and a good proportion is super unique! And well done for the SF!

I really like Colby - but regardless, it's a free app and no supplemental essay - Nothing to lose by applying!

Are you applying with a specific major? Or undetermined?
Reply 5
You've really done a lot and a good proportion is super unique! And well done for the SF!

I really like Colby - but regardless, it's a free app and no supplemental essay - Nothing to lose by applying!

Are you applying with a specific major? Or undetermined?

Thankyou so much!! I’m also applying for a biology major! Have you applied to schools in the UK as well?
Thankyou so much!! I’m also applying for a biology major! Have you applied to schools in the UK as well?

Yeah - biology/biological sciences at Oxford, Imperial, Durham, Lancaster and Manchester. You?

I'm fairly sure I won't get any acceptances from my US schools because most of them are very selective and financial aid makes things more difficult, so applying to universities here was a must.
I am almost done with my application, were is still a lot I don't know so maybe ill be asking a lot of questions in this chat since you guys seem to be a bit more knowledgable that me.
while my grades are good they are no where near as stellar as both of yours.
GCSE: 8,8,8,8,7,7,6,,5,5
A level predicted: A*A*A*
EC: head boy in high school, grade leader(my school had grade rank I don't know why), volunteer work at local church, hall captain in sixth form, English literature exemplar award (dunno how can't even spell) , tutoring GCSE, track and field and rugby, half marothons winner(Tesco and cancer research), went to national fro basketball with my school ages ago, and completed the imperial college recommended EDX Course.

although I have a fair amount I can potentially talk about the arent unique at all, they are just opportunities I took, unlike the opportunities that you both created for yourself which is insanely impressive.

BTW I am only applying to MIT because its really the only school I would move to the US for and also don't have enough time to do another application this month.
oh I also have had a part-time job this year Aden last year but I dont know if that is a good thing or bad thing for US colleges.
Reply 8
Original post by tobi odeded
I am almost done with my application, were is still a lot I don't know so maybe ill be asking a lot of questions in this chat since you guys seem to be a bit more knowledgable that me.
EC: head boy in high school, grade leader(my school had grade rank I don't know why), volunteer work at local church, hall captain in sixth form, English literature exemplar award (dunno how can't even spell) , tutoring GCSE, track and field and rugby, half marothons winner(Tesco and cancer research), went to national fro basketball with my school ages ago, and completed the imperial college recommended EDX Course.

although I have a fair amount I can potentially talk about the arent unique at all, they are just opportunities I took, unlike the opportunities that you both created for yourself which is insanely impressive.

BTW I am only applying to MIT because its really the only school I would move to the US for and also don't have enough time to do another application this month.
oh I also have had a part-time job this year Aden last year but I dont know if that is a good thing or bad thing for US colleges.

everything you’ve done is so amazing!! I’m pretty sure most places like to see that you’ve had a part-time job- i guess it shows responsibility and stuff like that but I’m not 100% sure haha
Reply 9
Yeah - biology/biological sciences at Oxford, Imperial, Durham, Lancaster and Manchester. You?

I'm fairly sure I won't get any acceptances from my US schools because most of them are very selective and financial aid makes things more difficult, so applying to universities here was a must.

Ahh i applied for biomedical sciences at Oxford, Sheffield, Warwick and Cardiff, and Cancer Biomedicine at UCL. Got rejected from oxford because i did so badly in the BMAT lmaooo but have offers from everywhere else except Warwick at the moment so at least i have somewhere to go if the US fails. I’m also asking for so much financial aid so i don’t think anywhere will want me but it’s worth a shot!
Original post by tobi odeded

Your grades are good! They show an upwards trajectory which can really support an application!
The school environment I was in allowed my opportunities to be created (we love lack of funding), but everyone's school experience is different and AOs know that - also yours are very well-rounded! (-Mine convey a dislike of sport.:colonhash:)

Good luck!
Ahh i applied for biomedical sciences at Oxford, Sheffield, Warwick and Cardiff, and Cancer Biomedicine at UCL. Got rejected from oxford because i did so badly in the BMAT lmaooo but have offers from everywhere else except Warwick at the moment so at least i have somewhere to go if the US fails. I’m also asking for so much financial aid so i don’t think anywhere will want me but it’s worth a shot!

Which is your top choice now in the UK?

Spoiler

We never know! But whatever happens will work out for the best and we'll have amazing opportunities and experiences regardless of were we go.

(I'm going to see this comment tomorrow and probably puke at its cheesiness)
Which colleges you’re applying to

Georgetown, Yale, Northwestern

GCSEs: 9 9 9 8 8 8 7 7 7 7

A level predicted A* A A with A* EPQ

SAT: unable to take

3. Extracurriculars

Captain of Basketball team for 2 years
Captain of running
Princeton summer course
MUN competitions
Senior Ambassador of Politics
Debating team co-founder
History Magazine co-founder
Equality discussion group co-founder
History discussion group member
Current Affairs discussion group member
Mentor for younger students (no particular name)
Teaching assistant for 1 semester
Worked at a museum for two years
2 unrelated internships

and a few more but not very significant!

Got into Georgetown early!!

doing other 2 RD but have heart set on Georgetown!

I know my A level grades aren’t amazing but I think my ECs compensate to an extent.
Reply 13
Original post by michelthavaud
Which colleges you’re applying to

Georgetown, Yale, Northwestern

GCSEs: 9 9 9 8 8 8 7 7 7 7

A level predicted A* A A with A* EPQ

SAT: unable to take

3. Extracurriculars

Captain of Basketball team for 2 years
Captain of running
Princeton summer course
MUN competitions
Senior Ambassador of Politics
Debating team co-founder
History Magazine co-founder
Equality discussion group co-founder
History discussion group member
Current Affairs discussion group member
Mentor for younger students (no particular name)
Teaching assistant for 1 semester
Worked at a museum for two years
2 unrelated internships

and a few more but not very significant!

Got into Georgetown early!!

doing other 2 RD but have heart set on Georgetown!

I know my A level grades aren’t amazing but I think my ECs compensate to an extent.

WOAHH you got into Georgetown?!! That’s so amazing congrats!
Reply 14
Which is your top choice now in the UK?

Spoiler

We never know! But whatever happens will work out for the best and we'll have amazing opportunities and experiences regardless of were we go.

(I'm going to see this comment tomorrow and probably puke at its cheesiness)

I’d probably say UCL since it’s such a unique course and has societies i would love to join etc. but London living is so expensive idk if i can afford it! If not then probably Sheffield. I’m going to see where my twin gets offers to as well and we’ll probably decide together haha!
Hi guys

What colleges are you applying to?: Penn, Cornell, Duke, Michigan, Maryland, USC
Are you filling out common app/coalition app/...: Common App
Any particular majors that you're interested in?: Philosophy and Political Science
Are you applying to any colleges early decision/early action?: No
What are your GCSE grades/A-level predicted grades?: GCSEs were 5 9s, 5 8's. I'm predicted AAA at A-level.
Extra Curriculars?: Started a business, Founded African Caribbean Society at my school, Secretary of my school's Amnesty International, Teaching assistant at an orphanage throughout 2 summers, Yr 6 teaching assistant for a year, School Prefect, Member of Philosophy Club, Member of Social Science Club
Reply 16
Original post by justdoingit
Hi guys

What colleges are you applying to?: Penn, Cornell, Duke, Michigan, Maryland, USC
Are you filling out common app/coalition app/...: Common App
Any particular majors that you're interested in?: Philosophy and Political Science
Are you applying to any colleges early decision/early action?: No
What are your GCSE grades/A-level predicted grades?: GCSEs were 5 9s, 5 8's. I'm predicted AAA at A-level.
Extra Curriculars?: Started a business, Founded African Caribbean Society at my school, Secretary of my school's Amnesty International, Teaching assistant at an orphanage throughout 2 summers, Yr 6 teaching assistant for a year, School Prefect, Member of Philosophy Club, Member of Social Science Club

Wow this is all so good!! Good luck with your apps!
I’d probably say UCL since it’s such a unique course and has societies i would love to join etc. but London living is so expensive idk if i can afford it! If not then probably Sheffield. I’m going to see where my twin gets offers to as well and we’ll probably decide together haha!

I'm a Londoner and if I end up going to Imperial I'll probably commute even though I'd love to move out - but London accommodation especially is absurdly expensive.

What course is your twin applying for?
WOAHH you got into Georgetown?!! That’s so amazing congrats!

Thank you so much! I was quite surprised when I got accepted actually 😂
do we get actual offer just based on our predicted grades, I am fairly confident that I can get my predicted grades which are 3A*. but at the same time don't they need the real grades as confirmation of our abilities. I know I would be annoyed if someone else got in because they had higher predicted grades but they didnt actually do good in a levels.
I just think that other factor can come in to your predicted grades sometimes than just your ability, eg, teacher preference, or selective test taking (a few people in my school just didn't come to school on day when they had a test that they thought that they would do bad on)

EC are fine and all but I don't think predicted and EC alone are the best metrics ever.

I don't expect to get into MIT I hear that pretty much all the UK applicant have 4A level subjects but I opted for 3 cause it would be easier for me to get into UK universities that way.

if I am mistaken to think that MIT and other US universities only look at the predicted and not the actual real thing then I would appreciate it if someone were to correct me on that fact

thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending