The Student Room Group

2021 UK-US College Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tobi odeded
do we get actual offer just based on our predicted grades, I am fairly confident that I can get my predicted grades which are 3A*. but at the same time don't they need the real grades as confirmation of our abilities. I know I would be annoyed if someone else got in because they had higher predicted grades but they didnt actually do good in a levels.
I just think that other factor can come in to your predicted grades sometimes than just your ability, eg, teacher preference, or selective test taking (a few people in my school just didn't come to school on day when they had a test that they thought that they would do bad on)

EC are fine and all but I don't think predicted and EC alone are the best metrics ever.

I don't expect to get into MIT I hear that pretty much all the UK applicant have 4A level subjects but I opted for 3 cause it would be easier for me to get into UK universities that way.

if I am mistaken to think that MIT and other US universities only look at the predicted and not the actual real thing then I would appreciate it if someone were to correct me on that fact

thanks.

From what I've read it's basically an unconditional acceptance - unless you massively underperform, they won't rescind it (it may be school dependent though).
Hi! So excited to see this thread. Thought I’d introduce myself.

I’m planning on majoring in religious studies and minoring in political science and maybe classics as well - who knows.

I’ve applied to Baylor, TCU, Notre Dame, USC, Oklahoma, Colorado, Vanderbilt, Stanford, LSU, UNC Chapel Hill, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Nebraska, South Carolina, and Alabama.

Definitely a lot but I’m not full pay so need either financial aid or a merit scholarship and I’m not applying anywhere in the UK - all in on the US.

GCSEs - 9999988777, predicted 4 A*s in my A-levels, 1420 SAT (went test-optional at all T20s)

ECs:
- I've done theology talks in different places around the UK, including one to an audience of about 100k alongside an Oxford theology professor. One was also broadcast internationally to 50+ countries and dubbed into multiple languages.
- I run a theology blog with a couple hundred followers.
- I'm really active in my church - 15+ hours a week. Teach lessons, give sermons and talks at baptisms.
- I've competed in national chess competitions and have placed twice.
- I'm a trained babysitter/part-time carer for special needs children
- Volunteer work with my church.
- I'm part of my school's debate club, Christian Union, coding club, and chess club.

So far I’ve been accepted by TCU, Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU, Nebraska, Tennessee, and South Carolina. Deferred from Georgia and rejected from Notre Dame.

Edit: have since been accepted by Baylor, UNC Chapel Hill, Colorado, Virginia, Florida, and Georgia after the deferral, waitlisted by Stanford and Wake Forest, and rejected from Vanderbilt, USC, and Duke.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by keep_drowning
From what I've read it's basically an unconditional acceptance - unless you massively underperform, they won't rescind it (it may be school dependent though).

I know every school is different, but if it helps I emailed international admissions at TCU after being accepted and asked what A-level grades I would need to get to keep my acceptance and they replied that "if you got all Cs we would be concerned". I'm predicted 4 A*s if that helps. So yeah, very very relaxed.
Reply 23
Original post by tobi odeded
do we get actual offer just based on our predicted grades, I am fairly confident that I can get my predicted grades which are 3A*. but at the same time don't they need the real grades as confirmation of our abilities. I know I would be annoyed if someone else got in because they had higher predicted grades but they didnt actually do good in a levels.
I just think that other factor can come in to your predicted grades sometimes than just your ability, eg, teacher preference, or selective test taking (a few people in my school just didn't come to school on day when they had a test that they thought that they would do bad on)

EC are fine and all but I don't think predicted and EC alone are the best metrics ever.

I don't expect to get into MIT I hear that pretty much all the UK applicant have 4A level subjects but I opted for 3 cause it would be easier for me to get into UK universities that way.

if I am mistaken to think that MIT and other US universities only look at the predicted and not the actual real thing then I would appreciate it if someone were to correct me on that fact

thanks.

they look at your 9th-12th grade grades so GCSEs and predicted A-Levels. pretty sure they look at A-Level grades once you get them- your place isn’t really conditional but if your grades drop significantly from your predicted ones they have the right to rescind their offer of admission. and they look at A-Levels very highly- every admissions officer I’ve spoken to has said that it’s a very challenging curriculum anyway so i think as long as your grades are above a certain threshold then it’s everything else (ECs, essays etc.) that make your application so focus on your essays and you’ll be good! there’s no harm in trying- you’ve got this!
Reply 24
Original post by kamara41
Hi! So excited to see this thread. Thought I’d introduce myself.

I’m lanning on majoring in religious studies and minoring in political science and maybe classics as well - who knows.

I’ve applied to Baylor, TCU, Notre Dame, USC, Oklahoma, Colorado, Vanderbilt, Stanford, LSU, UNC Chapel Hill, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Nebraska, South Carolina, and Alabama.

Definitely a lot but I’m not full pay so need either financial aid or a merit scholarship and I’m not applying anywhere in the UK - all in on the US.

GCSEs - 9999988777, predicted 4 A*s in my A-levels, 1420 SAT (went test-optional at all T20s)

EC wise I’ve done a lot with my church - 15+ hours a week and have done an internationally broadcast talk alongside an Oxford theology professor. I also run a theology blog, am a carer for special needs children, part of four school clubs, done lots of genealogy research, and have done two national chess tournaments.

So far I’ve been accepted to TCU, Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU, Nebraska, Tennessee, and South Carolina. Deferred from Georgia and rejected from Notre Dame.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone! :smile:

Yayyy glad you’re excited to see the thread!! Congrats on all your acceptances that’s amazing! I also applied to UNC and am doing Stanford RD. don’t think i could go to UNC even if i do get in as i didn’t get the scholarship i was hoping for there and they don’t give financial aid but maybe i could get an outside scholarship haha. Good luck with the rest of your decisions!! You got this
Original post by keep_drowning
Hey,

I'm applying to a bunch of LACs: Colby, Colgate, Grinnell, MHC, Oberlin, Wellesley, Whitman, Williams and maybe Wesleyan - all as a prospective Bio major

My GCSEs: 6A*s, 3As, 1B
A Levels (achieved - I'm a gap year applicant): 4A*s + A* epq
Applying test optional because couldn't sit the SAT

ECs: Founded LGBT club and was president and treasurer , Drama club president - acting (inc leading roles), directing, school singing club leader + participant, internship at a major research uni, 2 part time jobs, student council roll involving fundraising,

I've applied RD everywhere so I'm not going to hear back at least for another 2.5 months!

Just wanted to say it's really nice to see British students applying to LACs. They really are such great fits for so many students but often seem overlooked on this forum.
Which colleges you’re applying toGeorgetown, Yale, Northwestern2. GCSEs/predicted A-Levels, IB etc., SAT/ACTGCSEs: 9 9 9 8 8 8 7 7 7 7A level predicted A* A A with A* EPQSAT: unable to take3. ExtracurricularsCaptain of Basketball team for 2 yearsCaptain of running Princeton summer course MUN competitions Senior Ambassador of PoliticsDebating team co-founder History Magazine co-founder Equality discussion group co-founder History discussion group memberCurrent Affairs discussion group member Mentor for younger students (no particular name)Teaching assistant for 1 semester Worked at a museum for two years 2 unrelated internships and a few more but not very significant! 4. Any decisions you’ve receivedGot into Georgetown early!!doing other 2 RD but have heart set on Georgetown!
Original post by emmacharl
they look at your 9th-12th grade grades so GCSEs and predicted A-Levels. pretty sure they look at A-Level grades once you get them- your place isn’t really conditional but if your grades drop significantly from your predicted ones they have the right to rescind their offer of admission. and they look at A-Levels very highly- every admissions officer I’ve spoken to has said that it’s a very challenging curriculum anyway so i think as long as your grades are above a certain threshold then it’s everything else (ECs, essays etc.) that make your application so focus on your essays and you’ll be good! there’s no harm in trying- you’ve got this!

cheers that is good to know
Yayyy glad you’re excited to see the thread!! Congrats on all your acceptances that’s amazing! I also applied to UNC and am doing Stanford RD. don’t think i could go to UNC even if i do get in as i didn’t get the scholarship i was hoping for there and they don’t give financial aid but maybe i could get an outside scholarship haha. Good luck with the rest of your decisions!! You got this

Was that scholarship at UNC the Morehead-Cain? I saw you mentioned earlier in the thread that you were a semi-finalist. Sorry you didn't get the scholarship; that sucks. I think international students can still be considered for the honors Carolina scholarships so there's still hope.

I'm not expecting to end up at UNC either, even if I get in. Although full pay at Carolina is technically under my budget, it's still a financial stretch, and I've been blessed with some incredible merit scholarships elsewhere.

I saw that you did Tulane EA - have you heard from them yet?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 29
Yes it was :smile: and it’s okay- it was still a great experience!! And congrats on your merit scholarships! That’s amazing!And yes i heard back mid December. Basically I could either get deferred or rejected since I could only get in EA if i wasn’t relying on full tuition scholarships to afford it which they decide in the Regular Decision round. I got deferred and they said in the letter that it was purely for financial reasons so that’s good! Not expecting to get the scholarships as they’re extremely competitive but it’s reassuring for my other applications haha @kamara41
Yes it was :smile: and it’s okay- it was still a great experience!! And congrats on your merit scholarships! That’s amazing!And yes i heard back mid December. Basically I could either get deferred or rejected since I could only get in EA if i wasn’t relying on full tuition scholarships to afford it which they decide in the Regular Decision round. I got deferred and they said in the letter that it was purely for financial reasons so that’s good! Not expecting to get the scholarships as they’re extremely competitive but it’s reassuring for my other applications haha @kamara41

@emmacharl That's awesome - congrats!
And that's a great attitude to have about the MC
Hi, I am in year 11 and plan to study in the US for college/uni. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for this stage, especially pertaining to scholarship opportunities but really anything. I've began revision for the SAT (I presume mine won't be cancelled) seeing as GCSEs aren't going ahead so I have more free time. Is there anything else I could be doing at this point to maximise my chances of having a successful application?
Good luck to everyone by the way :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by LoveAmore
Hi, I am in year 11 and plan to study in the US for college/uni. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for this stage, especially pertaining to scholarship opportunities but really anything. I've began revision for the SAT (I presume mine won't be cancelled) seeing as GCSEs aren't going ahead so I have more free time. Is there anything else I could be doing at this point to maximise my chances of having a successful application?

Hey!! That’s really good that you’re preparing already! I started preparing around year 11 too :smile: I’d recommend taking the SAT end of year 12 (March-ish) then if you need to retake it you have the whole summer and the September/October test in year 13. SAT subject tests would also be good- i didn’t manage to take any because of covid but colleges love to see those. Probably two or three based around your intended major (easier if they’re the same subjects as your A-Levels). Let me know if you need help studying for the SAT, and don’t worry if it seems hard right now as my score went up by over 200 points from my first score- practice helps so much and you’re starting really early so that’s good!
Colleges want to see a ‘spike’ which is basically a well developed interest. Honestly i wouldn’t say i have a strong one loll so don’t stress about it too much. What is your intended major? I could give you some ideas of extracurriculars that might strengthen your application :smile:
Hey!! That’s really good that you’re preparing already! I started preparing around year 11 too :smile: I’d recommend taking the SAT end of year 12 (March-ish) then if you need to retake it you have the whole summer and the September/October test in year 13. SAT subject tests would also be good- i didn’t manage to take any because of covid but colleges love to see those. Probably two or three based around your intended major (easier if they’re the same subjects as your A-Levels). Let me know if you need help studying for the SAT, and don’t worry if it seems hard right now as my score went up by over 200 points from my first score- practice helps so much and you’re starting really early so that’s good!
Colleges want to see a ‘spike’ which is basically a well developed interest. Honestly i wouldn’t say i have a strong one loll so don’t stress about it too much. What is your intended major? I could give you some ideas of extracurriculars that might strengthen your application :smile:

Thanks :smile: I want to go down the legal route but it seems that it isn't an option for an undergraduate degree in the US, so I would probably major in philosophy as I find it very interesting. The only extracurricular I have so far that's directly related to philosophy is an online course by Harvard called 'Justice'.
Reply 34
I found out that I got into UNC last night!! So happy :smile:
Me too! Go Tar Heels!
After being deferred from Georgia and flat out rejected from Notre Dame REA, I wasn't feeling great about my application, so was incredibly shocked when I saw the congratulations. Feeling so blessed and thankful for the opportunity.

Congrats @emmacharl !!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by kamara41
Me too! Go Tar Heels!
After being deferred from Georgia and flat out rejected from Notre Dame REA, I wasn't feeling great about my application, so was incredibly shocked when I saw the congratulations. Feeling so blessed and thankful for the opportunity.

Congrats @emmacharl !!!

That’s awesome to hear!! Congrats!!

Yeah definitely.

Once you get into sixth form will be your opportunity to start a club or clubs. Personally, recently I started an “Investing” club since I know a thing or two about it (although I already submitted by app so it’s useless). It’s a 2h a week time commitment, and I get a lot of value out of it. If you need other ideas, you can begin a sport that isn’t played at your school. For example, since I am good at it, I managed to start a basketball team (very very very large time commitment to organise everything). The thing is these are just my examples, but I am sure you will find your passion.

Also, make sure to sign up to things which have to do with your intended major. I want to do politics, so I am in debate and Model UN. If you want to study maths, join a maths team. If there isn’t one, even better, start one.

US universities, although they say they want you to be well rounded, want you to have one specific area of focus with others surrounding. My main appeal was that I was passionate by international politics, and so focused my whole app around that (meeting politicians, attending think tank meetings or even watching Vox videos). You need to build up your profile as: I primarily do this. But I can also do other things (for me, basketball, investing, history club etc...) so really try to introspect how you want to be seen and of course, don’t do anything you are not interested by. (Although I at first wasn’t interested in certain things before joining the club, and then became passionate). If you do things you aren’t interested in after 5 or so sessions, don’t continue, it will drag you down. I played the guitar for a long time and really didn’t like it, and think I wasted time practicing I could have been spending doing other things. Don’t force yourself to keep doing things you don’t like because it will look good on the app.

That’s it for me, if you have any more questions or even want to talk otp I am down, I am trying to help as many ppl as possible.

Also if you want to know my qualifications, I applied (ED) to only one T25 school nationwide, T5 for my concentration and got in, so 100% hit rate I guess ahahaha
Anyway good luck
Original post by michelthavaud
Yeah definitely.

Once you get into sixth form will be your opportunity to start a club or clubs. Personally, recently I started an “Investing” club since I know a thing or two about it (although I already submitted by app so it’s useless). It’s a 2h a week time commitment, and I get a lot of value out of it. If you need other ideas, you can begin a sport that isn’t played at your school. For example, since I am good at it, I managed to start a basketball team (very very very large time commitment to organise everything). The thing is these are just my examples, but I am sure you will find your passion.

Also, make sure to sign up to things which have to do with your intended major. I want to do politics, so I am in debate and Model UN. If you want to study maths, join a maths team. If there isn’t one, even better, start one.

US universities, although they say they want you to be well rounded, want you to have one specific area of focus with others surrounding. My main appeal was that I was passionate by international politics, and so focused my whole app around that (meeting politicians, attending think tank meetings or even watching Vox videos). You need to build up your profile as: I primarily do this. But I can also do other things (for me, basketball, investing, history club etc...) so really try to introspect how you want to be seen and of course, don’t do anything you are not interested by. (Although I at first wasn’t interested in certain things before joining the club, and then became passionate). If you do things you aren’t interested in after 5 or so sessions, don’t continue, it will drag you down. I played the guitar for a long time and really didn’t like it, and think I wasted time practicing I could have been spending doing other things. Don’t force yourself to keep doing things you don’t like because it will look good on the app.

That’s it for me, if you have any more questions or even want to talk otp I am down, I am trying to help as many ppl as possible.

Also if you want to know my qualifications, I applied (ED) to only one T25 school nationwide, T5 for my concentration and got in, so 100% hit rate I guess ahahaha
Anyway good luck

Thank you, this was very insightful and congratulations on getting in :smile:

Extracurriculars. But not resume padding - colleges see right through that.

It would be great if one of your ECs could be related to your intended major, but there is no pressure for your main EC to be. Extracurriculars are just as much about proving to colleges that you'll be a great leader and contributor outside the classroom as well as in - maybe even more so.

Having a great, stand-out extracurricular is a lot easier than it may seem - just invest time into what you're passionate about and do it to the best of your ability.

Here is an article about how to gain admission to top US universities that focuses on extracurriculars. I think that the author is way too optimistic about how easy admission into elite US universities is, but I think the general advice is still excellent, especially with regards to ECS. Highly, highly recommend giving it a read.
https://blog.prepscholar.com/how-to-get-into-harvard-and-the-ivy-league-by-a-harvard-alum

It may seem tough to get involved in ECs due to Covid, but I promise there are tons of things you can still do virtually. My main EC was actually virtual. You just need to get creative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending