The Student Room Group

A Level Choices? Need some advice...

Hi! Currently I'm in year 12 (I live in Northern Ireland so it's probably different in England) and will be choosing my A levels in about a month or two. I've been pondering over this for a long time and want to have my choices narrowed down as soon as possible, so I hope that coming here for advice would benefit me in some way.

These are the subjects I've narrowed it down to:
Spanish
French
Maths/Chemistry/Biology

For context:
Both my languages teachers are strongly encouraging me to do their language, and they are my strongest subjects. However, I'm wondering if doing two would narrow my options for post A levels because I'm still not sure about what I want to do and want to keep my options as open as possible (I have yet to decide whether I want to go to uni or not and what I would do if I go there)

In terms of maths/chem/bio, I'm constantly switching between the two I want to do out of the three. I enjoy them all equally, but maths is my weakest out of them. The reason I've been considering maths is because I enjoy it and know it's useful for keeping options open. With chem and bio, I can't seem to choose between them because I find chem fascinating but more challenging, while bio for me is slightly easier but I don't enjoy as many of the topics.

When it comes to my other subjects, I don't have any weak ones. I get As and A*s in all of them, and got an A* in Maths last year (I do further maths). The only thing I know I'm definitely not doing is music; while I am doing ok as of now, I don't enjoy it as much as the others. So I am open to looking at other options if it results in a better combination of a levels :smile:

What I'm taking for GCSE:
Maths (A*)
Further maths
English literature
Geography
Music
Religious studies
French
Spanish
Double award science

I'd just like to know your thoughts on my choices, and where they could possibly take me later on in life. I'm completely open to suggestions and am willing to alter my choices if it will benefit me.
Thank you so much for reading this!! Also feel free to comment which a levels you're doing, I'd love to know what combinations people are choosing.
Well a language is always a good choice for keeping options open, the thing with chemistry is at uni it is heavily linked to maths, so if you want to do a chem degree or chem end degree maths would most likely be required. I don’t take biology but it’s a great subject. I would try to think about your most likely outcome job wise. You seem like a really smart person so whatever alevel s you take you should do super well in, if you have a specific uni curse in mind search the entry requirements just to be safe
hey
i have heard taking 2 languages is v hard!! but if you want to do it, go for it.
i think maths would be great to have as it does open up quite a few pathways and compliments lots of subjects well.

if im being honest, i wouldn't do two languages unless you are certain that you would like to study languages at uni cos it is difficult and won't add much benefit from you doing 2 languages if you apply to uni for a course that isn't languages

i do maths, bio and chem :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Jessica03
Well a language is always a good choice for keeping options open, the thing with chemistry is at uni it is heavily linked to maths, so if you want to do a chem degree or chem end degree maths would most likely be required. I don’t take biology but it’s a great subject. I would try to think about your most likely outcome job wise. You seem like a really smart person so whatever alevel s you take you should do super well in, if you have a specific uni curse in mind search the entry requirements just to be safe

Thank you so much for the advice! I'll definitely go look at the career paths for the A levels, which will hopefully help me find what I want to do.😊
Reply 4
Original post by c1student
hey
i have heard taking 2 languages is v hard!! but if you want to do it, go for it.
i think maths would be great to have as it does open up quite a few pathways and compliments lots of subjects well.

if im being honest, i wouldn't do two languages unless you are certain that you would like to study languages at uni cos it is difficult and won't add much benefit from you doing 2 languages if you apply to uni for a course that isn't languages

i do maths, bio and chem :smile:

I really appreciate the advice! Yeah I think I'll go ask my teachers for more info about what studying two languages is like and whether I would be able to cope with it, and do some more research on career paths if I really want to go into the linguistics field. Thank you so much for the help!😊
I think you should take maths one science and one of the languages.
There aren't many options for university with 2languages.
However science and maths are very versatile.
Hi, im Y13 doing bio, chemistry and maths A-levels. If you're set on doing a language at uni id recommend choosing maths as your third subject to maybe ease the workload a bit. If you're looking into a science career, bio and maths with a language would go well. Unis like to see when people have taken a third subject that shows they have interests outside of their career path. Chemistry is also very difficult- if you love chemistry then go for it but if you can, i would recommend taking bio/ maths instead.
hope this helps :smile:
Original post by ericajoanne
Hi! Currently I'm in year 12 (I live in Northern Ireland so it's probably different in England) and will be choosing my A levels in about a month or two. I've been pondering over this for a long time and want to have my choices narrowed down as soon as possible, so I hope that coming here for advice would benefit me in some way.

These are the subjects I've narrowed it down to:
Spanish
French
Maths/Chemistry/Biology

For context:
Both my languages teachers are strongly encouraging me to do their language, and they are my strongest subjects. However, I'm wondering if doing two would narrow my options for post A levels because I'm still not sure about what I want to do and want to keep my options as open as possible (I have yet to decide whether I want to go to uni or not and what I would do if I go there)

In terms of maths/chem/bio, I'm constantly switching between the two I want to do out of the three. I enjoy them all equally, but maths is my weakest out of them. The reason I've been considering maths is because I enjoy it and know it's useful for keeping options open. With chem and bio, I can't seem to choose between them because I find chem fascinating but more challenging, while bio for me is slightly easier but I don't enjoy as many of the topics.

When it comes to my other subjects, I don't have any weak ones. I get As and A*s in all of them, and got an A* in Maths last year (I do further maths). The only thing I know I'm definitely not doing is music; while I am doing ok as of now, I don't enjoy it as much as the others. So I am open to looking at other options if it results in a better combination of a levels :smile:

What I'm taking for GCSE:
Maths (A*)
Further maths
English literature
Geography
Music
Religious studies
French
Spanish
Double award science

I'd just like to know your thoughts on my choices, and where they could possibly take me later on in life. I'm completely open to suggestions and am willing to alter my choices if it will benefit me.
Thank you so much for reading this!! Also feel free to comment which a levels you're doing, I'd love to know what combinations people are choosing.

since u dont like maths as much, maybe do biology since u find it easy? what are your career choices, what do u wanna become one day? take these into consideration because when u apply for uni in the 2 years, they do ask for specific A-levels sometimes, (i do psychology and they ask for either psy, maths, bio, chem ect..) so checkout the university qualifications and maybe choose like that? overall i think that Biology is best for you but chemistry does sound fun (and heavily contented)
Bio and Chem are very very hard A levels, And since you have done double science, Im not sure whether you will be able to cope with them. Also it is pretty pointless doing Bio but not CHem because most courses at uni want both as a lot of chemistry is involved in biology (even for example, bioengineering, Medicine, Pharmacy). Id suggest you either Go down the Maths Chem Language route (as maths and chemistry are good enough for chemical engineering), But picking bio on its own is pretty useless and to some extent if you want to do languages at uni you need minimum 2 languages.

Quick Reply

Latest