The Student Room Group

Night time job at Tesco

Hi, I’m applying for a night job at Tesco and was wondering if anyone knows what’s it’s like? I have social anxiety too so I don’t know if I’d be able to do it or not. And was also wondering if I should mention my social anxiety on the cover letter, it’s severe to the point I can’t talk to people sometimes. I thought because it’s at night it would be something I’d be able to do it because surely it would be quieter at night

Thanks
Hi, I used to work the very early morning shift at a tesco in London (4am start) I knew some of the nightshift workers.
How are you going to travel? When do you have to get there for? Try get in a few mins early, I usually ate when I arrived (4am start).
I used to cycle at 3am but after 3 weeks? I was being stalked by a creepy Indian guy so try driving or getting a lift from someone. My manager helped with me getting a lift and stuff from a female coworker so I was okay.
Get sleep, unlike me right now.
You can listen to music on speakers or headphones until customers come in (usually 8am), I knew the frozen section guys usually blared out music so it can be loud-ish.
My manager knew of my mental health issues when applying, but she was fine with it as long as it didn't affect my work. I would mention it but be prepared to have some levels of conversation with your coworkers otherwise it may be a bit difficult. I don't have serious anxiety but I tried to talk and be more sociable to make a good impression on my first day. You will be partnered up with a coworker on your first day as they'll be your mentor to teach you the ropes until you get the hang of stuff. The most I had to talk to the night shift stockers was when trying to find items that were missing and stuff, but apart from that I just droned on with the work.
During lunchtime for the night shift maybe 5am? they would sit together but some people took naps or ate alone, do what makes you feel comfortable.
If you have any problems speak to someone you trust e.g. for me it was my manager she was checking up on me after the stalking stuff and she also made sure I was okay (regarding mental health) and because I was one of the youngest (18) working that shift.

I hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply