The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I havn't felt any changes to be honest.

It's been on the news, in my textbooks and shoved down my throat on TV and radio so much that I am just immune to it now. However, I still think something needs to be done.
I feel a little fatalist about it...I guess eventually it will stabilise itself somehow since food shortages will probably kill a lot of people.

Only speculation, but I suspect that increased atmospheric CO2 concentration combined with an increased temperature will result in higher ocean acidity due to dissolved CO2 and kill off a lot of our food chain.
Reply 102
I hope Canada warms up. Bring on the heat.
SoundDevastation
control nuclear?! as only one of billions of species on the planet we do not have the right to even try to 'control' something that could potentially wipe out areas of the planet (the same goes for LHC imo).

Nuclear is NOT an answer.

And of course things you do can help towards the problem, even if you're just another one of the masses that uses energy efficient bulbs, every little step is at least a step in the right direction. And if you actually want to change something, take on direct action. we are capable of changing anything. The suffragettes, the civil rights movement.. these were normal people changing the world for the better, we can do the same.

we know what the problems of nuclear power are, it leave dangerous crap that we can efficiently dispose of, and if not correctly maintained can cause serious environmental problems. As long as we maintain the plants well we can control where we leave our waste and what it will affect.

Energy saving light bulbs are great for saving power but they still use power so only slow the problem. Our main areas of pollution, i would guess would be power and transport, and possibly industry but that is partly covered under power. Changing our light bulbs and putting the sky box on standby won't save the planet, at this point we need drastic changes. All the examples you have given are social changes they only change the world which we live in, not the plant as a whole, this is on a far bigger scale, and one which we clearly don't understand.
SoundDevastation
a combination of renewables and low-energy living. tackling the problem from both sides.

i captain nothing!

I saw a guy at Cambridge university who did a quick lecture as we were shown round and demonstrated that the UK couldn't power itself on renewable energy with its current power demands and realistically they are not going down anytime soon.
fnxz_87
5 Live at lunchtime there was a discussion on it. On an everyday survival level is it really important though? especially for the lower income demographic.

Lies.
Climate change is all lies.
It is a conspiracy by Greenpeace, PETA and the Lefties.:shifty:
Pocket Calculator
i'd say it depends on how fast it happens. even if it does happen quickly, organisms can still rapidly spread polewards to follow their favoured climatic belt without needing to adapt to anything new. anything that lives in polar climates would suffer, obviously - but you have to remember that they're a tiny minority of species; the number of species that can live in polar climes is probably orders of magnitude below those that live in temperate zones such as the UK.

we are currently going through a mass extinction event that is more rapid than any other in the history of the planet. The ability of specices that have become specalised in their habitat to adapt is very limited. The majorty of larger organisms are very vulnerable to changes in the climate and cannot simply move to a more temperate climate, where as smaller thigs such as bacteria and amebias are more adaptive and can cope with changes in temperature.

Pocket Calculator
heating up the oceans will open up vast new areas of ocean that were previously too cold. but i think you've got a good point there. in parts of the paleozoic and mesozoic when the world was much warmer, corals (and other reef-building organisms) have thrived and been much more prolific than today. but i guess modern corals would take a long time to adapt to warmer oceans.

Warm oceans are not that abundant with life. Yes the larger creatures do enjoy the warmth but the more important aquatic life such as algae strugle to survive when the surface temperature of the ocean rises above 10c as nutrients become scarce.

SoundDevastation
control nuclear?! as only one of billions of species on the planet we do not have the right to even try to 'control' something that could potentially wipe out areas of the planet (the same goes for LHC imo).

Go to chernobyl and see the place and you will notice a city that has been recalimed by nature. Nuclear has to be part of the solution now as it is what is avaliable, as change in society behaviour takes time.
doggyfizzel
I saw a guy at Cambridge university who did a quick lecture as we were shown round and demonstrated that the UK couldn't power itself on renewable energy with its current power demands and realistically they are not going down anytime soon.

exactly! which is why we need to drastically cut our demands.

Society and the world needs to change on every single level, and i beleive that the change needs to happen bottom-up, powered by the people.
not really - what difference can we REALLY make in the grand scheme of things?
Reply 109
T-o dore
not really - what difference can we REALLY make in the grand scheme of things?

Some countries can benefit from a warmer climate...Miami is not one of them, but people live in other places that are colder.
Reply 110
UGeNe
Some countries can benefit from a warmer climate...Miami is not one of them, but people live in other places that are colder.

:banghead:
Like I said on the other thread, we are a selfish virus of a species. Raping and destroying everything we come across is just what we do.

And this thread proves that the majority of TSR doesn't care.
ali567149
Warm oceans are not that abundant with life. Yes the larger creatures do enjoy the warmth but the more important aquatic life such as algae strugle to survive when the surface temperature of the ocean rises above 10c as nutrients become scarce. .

10c doesnt sound all that warm to me. Besides we had NO summer this year. I'll be dead by the time the plantet frys itself so i say crank up the heat.
Selfish i know, but i dont think anyone actually gives a sod.
It is a leftie lie.
There is NO climate change.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
flugestuge
It is a leftie lie.

How would that help anyone.
bass_belle
10c doesnt sound all that warm to me. Besides we had NO summer this year. I'll be dead by the time the plantet frys itself so i say crank up the heat.
Selfish i know, but i dont think anyone actually gives a sod.

It could get wetter here, and possibly colder... this summer was a taste of what is to come. The changes are why we had no summer. What people don't understand is that "global warming" doesn't mean we can all lie out in the sun all the time, it means extremes of weather, like crazy humidity, hurricanes, flooding, and winters where it rains all the time.

Yay.
flugestuge
It is a leftie lie.
what makes it a leftie thing?
Reply 117
flugestuge
It is a leftie lie.

Wow, you're such an idiot.

Any evidence for this mighty claim? Want to call me a hippy, next?
To the people in places like UK/Canada who quite like the notion of having a warmer climate. Even though your posts are probably tongue in cheek I'd just like to convince you anyway that your point is not valid.

Climate change is bad for everybody because:

- It'll cause food shortages as areas currently used for farming become barren (e.g. western United States, and there are signs of this happening already.)

- It'll cause mass immigration as 6 billion people attempt to squeeze into Canada, UK and Scandanavia. Creating a rise is fascist governments, housing shortages, more food/water shortages etc etc

- Even if areas become warmer, they will also be more extreme. For example it is predicted that in a warmer world for the UK we will regularly be hit by tsunamis, there will be severe heat waves in summer (the effects of that were seen in the summer of 2003 in Europe, many elderly people died) etc

And that's just what's bad for the people in the well-off areas. There is also the idea that we should give a damn about people who happen to be elsewhere, in places such as Africa which really cannot afford to warm up anymore; and all low-lying places which will be consumed as sea levels rise e.g. Holland, Bangladesh, New York etc

Edit - not to mention the effects on other species which simply cannot adapt to change this fast paced. Already some species are dying out as a result of global warming, and many more are to follow. I think we should give a damn about nature, as well.
ashy
Wow, you're such an idiot.

Any evidence for this mighty claim? Want to call me a hippy, next?

You hippies want to shut down industry in the USA by claiming that there is climate change.

Latest

Trending

Trending