The Student Room Group

Year in industry or year abroad??

I'm going to be applying for a computer science degree, not sure which uni yet. I already have an A* in media A level and am predicted A*A(possibly A*) A in maths, physics and economics. I'm certain about doing computer science but I can't decide if I do a year in industry, a year abroad or neither. Would appreciate knowing the pros and cons of them and any experiences you have with any of the options, thanks :smile:
Hi!

You should consider Edinburgh Napiers BSc (Hons) Computing Science degree with an opportunity to take a placement at the end your second year which would cover the year in industry that you mentioned above. Ive added both links below for you to check out.

https://www.napier.ac.uk/courses/bscbsc-hons-computing-science-undergraduate-fulltime

https://www.napier.ac.uk/about-us/our-schools/school-of-computing/placements#students

If theres anything else that I can help with, please give me a shout!

Thanks

Steph @ ENU
^Since when were universities allowed to spam advertise here?

Anyway, you can do both, 1 semester erasmus and 1 semester a placement. You don't need it formalized before joining a university.

And if you can only do 1:
1. erasmus
2.placement
3.neither
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ra011
I'm going to be applying for a computer science degree, not sure which uni yet. I already have an A* in media A level and am predicted A*A(possibly A*) A in maths, physics and economics. I'm certain about doing computer science but I can't decide if I do a year in industry, a year abroad or neither. Would appreciate knowing the pros and cons of them and any experiences you have with any of the options, thanks :smile:

Hey :smile: from the sounds of it you’re going to be looking at going to the top unis based on your predicted grades! I’d deffo go with either a year in industry of the two as usually the company will also offer you a place on their graduate scheme for when you have finished uni. It’s also a chance for you to decide if that’s the line of work you’d like to go into after uni - and you get paid quite well for it too! You can apply for a year industry and if you change your mind (ie if you didn’t want to do one and opt for an internship instead for example) this is allowed too. Most unis are quite flexible with it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending