The Student Room Group

Fallen Behind With everything in first term + ADHD diagnosis.

So recently, since going to university I realized there is something wrong with me, and somehow ive always known my whole life, I have recently been diagnosed with Inattentive ADHD, and I am currently beginning on medication which is helping tremendously.

However, I have severely fallen behind on my uni work, and I dont know where to start, I have missed Assignments and due Essays which are important.

I would hate for my uni lecturers to kick me off the course because I know I have it in me to rectify the situation. As I have matured and learnt alot within this first term, and I believe I now know how to balance my Work/Social life, and I thoroughly love my courses content.

What should I do? Should I contact my lecturers? My personal Mentor? Or try to file for exceptional circumstances to get the points I need, and then catch up over this Xmas break? I am really scared because my course is what I want to spend my life researching.
You should probably contact your lecturers and let them know of your circumstances, I’m sure there will be a work around as you have a good reason for missing your deadlines. Just out of curiousity, if you don’t mind sharing, what were your signs of adhd? I have the same feeling that there’s something wrong with me but I can’t pinpoint what it is for the life of me but my a lot of my signs seem to match up with adhd, however I’m not sure whether it’s severe enough to go to a doctor
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
You should probably contact your lecturers and let them know of your circumstances, I’m sure there will be a work around as you have a good reason for missing your deadlines. Just out of curiousity, if you don’t mind sharing, what were your signs of adhd? I have the same feeling that there’s something wrong with me but I can’t pinpoint what it is for the life of me but my a lot of my signs seem to match up with adhd, however I’m not sure whether it’s severe enough to go to a doctor.

Thanks for the advice, Idk Im very big into personal developement, because as a Kid I always thought there was something wrong with me and there was, I always tried to work extremely hard because I was always made to believe the problem was with me. Ive been raised the exact same as my brother and Sister, but I cant seem to focus for the life of me, and im extremely lethargic and 'lazy', but its not who I am as a person psychologically.

I am always looking for innovative ways to be disciplined and work hard but it just gets to a point where it feels ridiculous, as Most 'Normal' people dont put in nearly as much mental energy, Discipline and hard work on things as me but seem to surpass me in every way, its so depressing. Believe me I want to work hard but once I start Its physically and Emotionally exhausting as I have to expend tonnes of mental energy, 'All or nothing attitude' and its all done through self hatred.

However, Recently I decided to take the UK equivalent of Adderall at University to give me the kick up the arse I so desperately want (Dexamfetamine Sulfate) and It literally turned to lights on for me. I realized whats been wrong with me my whole life, its never been my Attitude or Personality traits It was a Dopamine//Reward system deficiency or some other neurochemical imbalance. in 'Neurotypical' brains ' it can usually be solved through some level of discipline and hard work or other 'Self Developement Techniques' I literally Know endless techniques , they were of some help for GCSES and A levels but Im extremely Burnt out and emotionally exhausted now, Hence why Im behind on Uni work in the first term lol, Ive been on countless holidays and outings to Chill out and Undo my 'Burntoutness' to no avail.

When I was bed ridden and 'lazy' all I could do with my time was work on myself, and Learn from psychologists and people who have made things of themselves online 'youtube' 'podcasts' etc, from the age of 12 to 19 (Now) all done through force of will. But It all meant nothing because my reward system wasnt working.

BUT, when I started taking those meds, I felt like a normal person, I felt a wave of calmness and pure bliss fall over me, I almost cried, I felt like a new man, my burnout, Brainfog, lethargy, Social anxiety and my anhedonia left. work felt like it wouldnt be so impossible anymore, not easy, but not impossible, and my Motivation instantly returned. and I can see how discipline works now because I watched tv and played videogames instead of work lol, but working didnt seem as daunting as it once did. I am currently being diagnosed with ADHD, and I believe I have Inattentive-ADHD, Im so excited to get put on Medication for the new year.

Honestly, your mental health is the most valuable thing you can invest your money in, so I implore you , if you think there is a problem with yourself, there probably is, Despite what most of society will say to you.
Thanks for the advice, Idk Im very big into personal developement, because as a Kid I always thought there was something wrong with me and there was, I always tried to work extremely hard because I was always made to believe the problem was with me. Ive been raised the exact same as my brother and Sister, but I cant seem to focus for the life of me, and im extremely lethargic and 'lazy', but its not who I am as a person psychologically.

I am always looking for innovative ways to be disciplined and work hard but it just gets to a point where it feels ridiculous, as Most 'Normal' people dont put in nearly as much mental energy, Discipline and hard work on things as me but seem to surpass me in every way, its so depressing. Believe me I want to work hard but once I start Its physically and Emotionally exhausting as I have to expend tonnes of mental energy, 'All or nothing attitude' and its all done through self hatred.

However, Recently I decided to take the UK equivalent of Adderall at University to give me the kick up the arse I so desperately want (Dexamfetamine Sulfate) and It literally turned to lights on for me. I realized whats been wrong with me my whole life, its never been my Attitude or Personality traits It was a Dopamine//Reward system deficiency or some other neurochemical imbalance. in 'Neurotypical' brains ' it can usually be solved through some level of discipline and hard work or other 'Self Developement Techniques' I literally Know endless techniques , they were of some help for GCSES and A levels but Im extremely Burnt out and emotionally exhausted now, Hence why Im behind on Uni work in the first term lol, Ive been on countless holidays and outings to Chill out and Undo my 'Burntoutness' to no avail.

When I was bed ridden and 'lazy' all I could do with my time was work on myself, and Learn from psychologists and people who have made things of themselves online 'youtube' 'podcasts' etc, from the age of 12 to 19 (Now) all done through force of will. But It all meant nothing because my reward system wasnt working.

BUT, when I started taking those meds, I felt like a normal person, I felt a wave of calmness and pure bliss fall over me, I almost cried, I felt like a new man, my burnout, Brainfog, lethargy, Social anxiety and my anhedonia left. work felt like it wouldnt be so impossible anymore, not easy, but not impossible, and my Motivation instantly returned. and I can see how discipline works now because I watched tv and played videogames instead of work lol, but working didnt seem as daunting as it once did. I am currently being diagnosed with ADHD, and I believe I have Inattentive-ADHD, Im so excited to get put on Medication for the new year.

Honestly, your mental health is the most valuable thing you can invest your money in, so I implore you , if you think there is a problem with yourself, there probably is, Despite what most of society will say to you.

Thank you so much for sharing your story, im so happy that you’re getting the help that you need, it’s so inspiring!

I’m currently doing A levels and i really want to get top grades but I’m falling behind because although i want it so badly, i constantly feel burnt out and exhausted - both mentally and physically. I can’t sit at my desk for more than an hour sometimes because i can’t bring myself to focus and i get a lot of brainfog all the time. My parents just think im lazy but on some days i literally cannot move my body. I also get very stressed and panicked quite often which i think is a sign of anxiety. It’s so difficult because i really want to do well but it feels impossible when I’m like this
Reply 4
Thank you so much for sharing your story, im so happy that you’re getting the help that you need, it’s so inspiring!

I’m currently doing A levels and i really want to get top grades but I’m falling behind because although i want it so badly, i constantly feel burnt out and exhausted - both mentally and physically. I can’t sit at my desk for more than an hour sometimes because i can’t bring myself to focus and i get a lot of brainfog all the time. My parents just think im lazy but on some days i literally cannot move my body. I also get very stressed and panicked quite often which i think is a sign of anxiety. It’s so difficult because i really want to do well but it feels impossible when I’m like this

I mean im no doctor, im a Neuroscience student currently so I have quite a good understanding of the brain, and also experiencing what certain neurochemicals feel like, when theres an imbalance and when theres too much. DOPAMINE, you could have some sort of deficiency, or you could be depressed, however, Research Innattentive ADHD, I used to think ADHD just meant hyperactivity but its a broad spectrum, with many sub sets. If you think theres a problem, that you cant overcome with any level of self discipline or self developement, its probably a Neurochemical Imbalance or a psychological problem, if your parents think your lazy (I AM IN THE EXACT SAME BOAT, WHEN IM A VERY HARD WORKING PERSON ITS V V ANNOYING LOOL) keep bringing it up, OVER AND OVER again, until it becomes their problem, so that they realize it is a real problem.

Believe me, if you can sort it out, what lies for you on the other side is nothing but success, because since you may not have a 'neurotypical brain' you have developed your willpower and 'hard working' side of your personality, much more than the average person. and when you Rebalance your brain, you will still have your will, and your success will sky rocket.
So recently, since going to university I realized there is something wrong with me, and somehow ive always known my whole life, I have recently been diagnosed with Inattentive ADHD, and I am currently beginning on medication which is helping tremendously.

However, I have severely fallen behind on my uni work, and I dont know where to start, I have missed Assignments and due Essays which are important.

I would hate for my uni lecturers to kick me off the course because I know I have it in me to rectify the situation. As I have matured and learnt alot within this first term, and I believe I now know how to balance my Work/Social life, and I thoroughly love my courses content.

What should I do? Should I contact my lecturers? My personal Mentor? Or try to file for exceptional circumstances to get the points I need, and then catch up over this Xmas break? I am really scared because my course is what I want to spend my life researching.

I haven't posted in a while on TSR, but I read this and could instantly relate. I can't offer any advice, although I would say contact your academic advisor/ pastoral support.

When I was younger I knew I was different cognitively to my peers somehow, some things that came to others very easily did not come to me at all, things like reading attentively (I would either zone out or read the same sentence over and over and over, then give up), watching movies and understanding what is going on (which gets better with subtitles), or even being able to decipher words in songs. However this did not affect my grades, and I suspect this was due to coping mechanisms (I have written literally more than one thousand flashcards to make up for my poor memory), and pretty decent problem solving skills (bearing in mind I have to remember the information). I ended up doing very very well in primary and secondary school and even sixth form.
But then university happened and it was clear that I couldn't keep this up any longer. My first lecture was enough proof of this. I would be listening for maybe two minutes, laptop and Microsoft Word open, before I found myself thinking about something completely different and staring into space. This happened pretty much every lecture for weeks and I concluded that lectures just weren't how I learned best. Fine. So I took to just reading course notes and I found that I had to battle again with my attention span when reading, as I did in the past. I haven't even read a book out of my own free will for many years, despite buying them and really forcing myself to start.

Upon discovering what ADHD actually is (its actually a bit of a misnomer, you don't have to be hyperactive), and reading more about it, I was shocked to see how many other people online resonated with my experience. Clever child in school who crashed in university due to lack of structure and immediate consequences. A consistent struggle with anxiety and an elevated sensitivity to sensations (can't stand clothing tags). I struggle with intense procrastination and can only get going once stress levels are unhealthily high and I have experienced panic attacks and sleep paralysis because of it. As a matter of fact I have a summative in for tomorrow and I haven't even read the course notes necessary to answer the bloody questions.

Anyway, I tried to get a diagnosis/test on the NHS last year (which was my first year of uni) who told me that since there were no significant concerns of hyperactivity, I wouldn't get a test and instead they would give me talking therapy for anxiety/depression. Weird since it seemed they were unaware of the Predominantly Inattentive subtype. It was useless and I still struggle with the same problems I always did. As a result I'm thinking of taking a year out to try and manually increase my attention span myself, even if doctors won't help me. Its like I'm walking right into the stereotype of clever kid who crashed hard the moment there was adversity, and there is nothing I can do about it.

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Hello.

Can someone please help me. I don't have much time left I will fail the year otherwise. This is my only chance. I've changed uni 3 times and 3 courses already thanks to my adhd and won't get funding anymore beyond this year if I fail. Nhs doctors won't help at all. Thanks to the pandemic mental health issues have been pushed back many many months to get any referral at all.
I'm happy to pay a lot of money if someone can help me focus and pass the year.
Thanks so much.

Hello.

Can you please help me. I'm having this exact same problem. I don't have much time left I will fail the year otherwise. This is my only chance. I've changed uni 3 times and 3 courses already thanks to my adhd and won't get funding anymore beyond this year if I fail. Nhs doctors won't help at all. Thanks to the pandemic mental health issues have been pushed back many many months to get any referral at all.
I'm happy to pay a lot of money if someone can help me focus and pass the year. Is there a way to email each other directly on this site?
Thanks so much.
Reply 8
My friend, the best place to look is reddit on r/adhd, watch dr russel barkleys lectures, totallyadd, and attentiontalkvideos, theyre very very helpful, and GO PRIVATE, if u can, save up some money or etc.

Medication will help amazingly, I know your most likely desperate, but dont go around the internet offering money, because ppl will just teach you nothing and take your money, find an ADHD coach! Theres alot online, i think attentiontalkvideos is a coach, hes very good at what he does because he has adhd himself
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest