The Student Room Group

Songs that make you inexplicably sad

I’m just wondering if anybody else has songs that seem to make them sad for no reason so thought I might as well ask here.

I’m listening to Jaded by Aerosmith at the minute and it just makes me so nostalgic somehow, like Summer of ‘69 by Bryan Adams.

a-ha’s Take On Me also makes me so sad and I can’t understand why, especially if the music video is playing too.

The weirdest ones though are probably club songs that you’d expect to be happy, like Get Lucky by Daft Punk. It makes me feel like the season finale of a show I like or something. It’s not necessarily a depressing feeling, but certainly not happy. Maybe contemplation? Difficult to pin down. It happened with a song my psychology teacher said was voted one of the happiest of all time, but the name of that escapes me at the moment so I might add it later on.

Anyone understand what I mean?

Edit: Just after posting this I found an interesting article on it, which actually briefly mentions Take On Me as well.
(edited 3 years ago)

Spoiler

I mean I could probably explain it if I thought about it, but it still makes me kinda sad.
Promises Nero for some unknown reason

Oh and sub ace and aura my dream
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TJ1997

Queen have a lot of these kinds of songs for me!
Reply 5

this! no clue why but it brings me to tears
Reply 6
John Legend - All of me

Cried way too much to that
Original post by quackxk

this! no clue why but it brings me to tears

Original post by AllGrade999999
John Legend - All of me

Cried way too much to that

These ones both make complete sense to me!
Reply 8

I cry every Hogmanay when I hear this and always have done ever since I was a kid. New year isn't a happy time for me. It makes me reflect on who I lost the previous year and worry about what the new year holds. Maybe its because I am Scottish too that bagpipe music makes me emotional.

Quick Reply

Latest