Lincoln or coventry uni for adver and marketing

Watch
raventrigo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
A little dilemma here... I got an offer from both lincon and coventry univeristy for advertising and marketing. My first choice is lancaster uni but im still waiting for their response. Just in case I dont get in, im left with lincoln and coventry. I cant really go to them unis because of covid so I cant explore and see which one i prefer. Im hoping to reach a conclusion by doing A LOT of research.

I did my research and tried to weigh up the pros and cons of both unis. Ranking wise they are pretty similar depending on which league table you look at. Coventry's modules for my course attracts me more than Lincolns because it focuses more on the creative side rather than finance and numeracy that Lincoln focuses on. But in general i don't mind the Lincoln modules that much.

Coventry is closer to me than lincoln. I prefer to be in a more country side environment than a city one, but I know that there are more opportunity in cities. Apparently coventry is more expensive than lincoln. I ve seen the accomodation at coventry and they are soooo expensive.

I also want to go to a uni that allows me to meet people from a lot of different nationalities that are interested in the same things. Im not really big on travelling so i prefer to live closer to my home.

I hope someone can give me a student perspective from these unis and have info on how it is as a school academically, costs and as a city in general.
Last edited by raventrigo; 4 months ago
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Student perspective of Lincoln (friend did English there for 3 years) it’s a tiny, tiny market town - felt like an happy English town from 50 years ago. Low stress, steep hill, to “the world’s tallest building” for centuries. It’s almost the complete opposite of Coventry, de-industrialised midlands city. “Ghost-town” sang The Specials, has it improved?

The (Lincoln) uni is a sort of campus, next to rivers, ducks, swans, punting in summer. My friend stayed about 3 metres off campus, she enjoyed the time. The uni did teach her English, it was international & interesting, and there’s a copy of the Magna Carta to look at, in the castle, that’s next to the formerly world’s tallest building....

I enjoyed my visit, but that hill is very steep!
UniOfLincolnStudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by raventrigo)
A little dilemma here... I got an offer from both lincon and coventry univeristy for advertising and marketing. My first choice is lancaster uni but im still waiting for their response. Just in case I dont get in, im left with lincoln and coventry. I cant really go to them unis because of covid so I cant explore and see which one i prefer. Im hoping to reach a conclusion by doing A LOT of research.

I did my research and tried to weigh up the pros and cons of both unis. Ranking wise they are pretty similar depending on which league table you look at. Coventry's modules for my course attracts me more than Lincolns because it focuses more on the creative side rather than finance and numeracy that Lincoln focuses on. But in general i don't mind the Lincoln modules that much.

Coventry is closer to me than lincoln. I prefer to be in a more country side environment than a city one, but I know that there are more opportunity in cities. Apparently coventry is more expensive than lincoln. I ve seen the accomodation at coventry and they are soooo expensive.

I also want to go to a uni that allows me to meet people from a lot of different nationalities that are interested in the same things. Im not really big on travelling so i prefer to live closer to my home.

I hope someone can give me a student perspective from these unis and have info on how it is as a school academically, costs and as a city in general.
Hi raventrigo

I am currently a 3rd-year student at the University of Lincoln and I study Media Production. I was nervous going to lincoln for uni as its a small city, however each year I have managed to find new things that I didnt see/do the year before! Lincoln is full of different cultures and people so you would definitely meet lots of different types of people who have similar as well as different interests as you.

One thing i will say is Lincoln feels like a very old city, from the cobbled streets and cathedral, making it have a sense of homely country village. However its main high street is always full of people and modern shops like Primark and Wilkos. One of my favourite things is that everything is walkable, from campus to night clubs or your accomodation, this is very helpful when you are bad at time organisation like me

Accademically the university performs well, it's even 'Modern University of the Year' this year! I have found that tutors are always lovely and helpful. they have helped me alot through when my personal issues effecte my Uni work and never left me feeling uncomfortable or like im out of my depth too much.

Cost wise; living in lincoln is great as there is a wide range of places with a range of prices. truthfully, the first year in Uni accomdation will be the most expensive but after that you can find somewhere cheap or if you have the money find a house/flat which is abit more.

I hope this helps you! if you have any other questions please reply with them as I am here to answer University of Lincoln questions.

Is there anything else you would like to know about Lincoln? Any course questions?

Ellie - Media Production
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by raventrigo)

Hello

I am a first-year student at Coventry University and so far I am really enjoying it.
Regarding finance, your first year at any university will always be more expensive than in other years. Personally, I have decided to go to a house share instead of private accommodation, due to the prices. However, I have already had friends living in Coventry before coming here, so I would not recommend going to a house share without knowing anybody. However, I have heard from other students, that the prices of accommodations in Coventry went down this year, so maybe try looking into it. Coventry offers countless options for student accommodation so I am sure you will find one suitable for you.
Moreover, there are approximately 30 000 students in Coventry, which truly makes it a student city. Based on personal experience, you will have plenty of options to meet up with people of various backgrounds. Another great way to meet new people is by joining a society or a sports team at Coventry.

Overall, I believe Coventry University is amazing for student experience as well as for academics. Professors are always willing to help and there are always people and organizations you can reach out to if you need any help.

Hope this helped.

Tereza
Student Ambassador
International Relations Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (102)
5.15%
Uncertainty around my education (297)
15%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (210)
10.61%
Lack of purpose or motivation (277)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (86)
4.34%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (112)
5.66%
Loneliness (174)
8.79%
Financial worries (71)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (87)
4.39%
Exposure to negative news/social media (93)
4.7%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.45%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (176)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (187)
9.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed