Which is harder chemistry or biology a level?

Watch
Cooliyoni
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Which is harder and why?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Chemistry, due all the simple chem reactions, Then rate-equations, Then nuclear physics, Then all the chiral organic isomers, or not.(1)

Biology, is remembering a lot of facts, but a young teenage mind can remember lots of facts

Made up question (1) What’s the rate-equation of istopically labelled 2-methylpropane in acidic solution with red Mercurius praecipitatus at 3 atmospheres with a current of 3 amperes at the anode? (Remembering to factor in the Arrhenius rate equation window to ask for values of Pre exp factor and activation energy)
(Meaningless question, but this is how I remember Chem A-level)
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Biology has a lot more memorising, while chemistry is largely understanding, so I'd say chemistry would be easier when you think about the fact that you've got to memorise stuff for all your other subjects at the same time too.
etohin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
personally, i find chemistry easier because i find the exam technique for biology a lot harder as you have to be quite specific whereas in chemistry as long as you understand the material youll be completely fine
username5442900
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Biology imo because the exam techniques are hard and the marks schemes are so specific (which is why the grade boundaries for biology is always so low whereas for chemistry is high)
Last edited by username5442900; 6 months ago
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
They're different. Biology mark schemes are much more specific and difficult to get right, and biology involves a lot of learning information. Chemistry is more applied and requires intelligence but there is much less learning involved. I'm not sure it's fair to say that either is more difficult than the other.
Nuttyy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
Chemistry, due all the simple chem reactions, Then rate-equations, Then nuclear physics, Then all the chiral organic isomers, or not.(1)

Biology, is remembering a lot of facts, but a young teenage mind can remember lots of facts

Made up question (1) What’s the rate-equation of istopically labelled 2-methylpropane in acidic solution with red Mercurius praecipitatus at 3 atmospheres with a current of 3 amperes at the anode? (Remembering to factor in the Arrhenius rate equation window to ask for values of Pre exp factor and activation energy)
(Meaningless question, but this is how I remember Chem A-level)

I'd disagree. Imo A level Bio is much much harder. The memorisation is the easy part lol. I basically memorised all the content to its core, but still came out with a B. I just couldn't master the exam technique. Whereas with Chem, you just need to understand and apply principles which you can practice over and over pre-exam. Bio exam papers are too unpredictable
Last edited by Nuttyy; 6 months ago
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
They're different. Biology mark schemes are much more specific and difficult to get right, and biology involves a lot of learning information. Chemistry is more applied and requires intelligence but there is much less learning involved. I'm not sure it's fair to say that either is more difficult than the other.
Agree with this.
They can't really be compared and either way, everyone will give you a different opinion of difficulty based on their own experiences which won't necessarily be helpful or relevant to you, OP.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (187)
43.39%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.37%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.66%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
21.11%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.67%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.8%

Watched Threads