lixinwei
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Topic;Discover wales, English, Scottish parliament architecture in relation to women citizenship.
‘I am Xinwei li, a year third student on Architecture BA / Architecture International BA at the University of Huddersfield. I am undertaking research on women’s identity and parliament architecture and with permission from the forum moderator (student union of Huddersfield university, the student room, WeChat groups, Facebook) would value a response to my questions concerning parliament architecture and women citizenship in the UK as you have experience in this area. By answering the question, you are agreeing to my using your comments for evaluation. All responses will be anonymised and only viewed by the course tutors and external examiner.

Questions
The research are total of three sections, please just fill in the one/two that apply to you;
1. British citizen for man
2. British citizen for woman (women’s identity in the past has been ignored)
3. international students.

 Please answer the questions using first instinct, because the research is focus on subconscious, rather a rational one.
 Images below are the case study images that the research refers to. The same images are used throughout the questions. Please do come back if you are unsure.

Westminster parliament

Welsh parliament

Schotish parliment

1. Write down where you from? Nationality? Or specify Wales, English or Scottish.
2. highlight your ethnicity; white, mixed/multiple ethic groups, Asian, Asian British, black, black/African/Caribbean British, other ethnic groups.
3. How many years here in the UK?
4. Gender M/F?

Section1: Question for Male British Citizens
(connectivity, opinion about parliament, how identity present)

1. (first instinct) Which of these parliament buildings do you feel more connected with? In which aspect?
Write number in order to show the level of connectivity ( 1 is the most connected …)
a) Westminster parliament building
b) Scottish parliament building
c) welsh parliament building
in which aspect? (eg; exterior/interior/decoration, etc)

2. Which parliament building and in which exact part, do you have a sense of belonging? highlight if related.
Which one
Which aspect; Form / style /complexity/ material/ memories / the place around / icon/ etc (write as many as you can)
answer;

3. (first instinct) Do any of these parliament buildings signify different groups of people eg; elite/ citizen/men/politicians/the architect who design it? if yes specify which (could be more than one) and explain what makes you chose them?

4. (first instinct) What qualities are represented in the parliament building for its citizens and its nation? Write after each corresponding parliament architecture. Explain if you wish. Eg (responsible, sensible, punctuate, sincere, motivated. emotional united) highlight or note down yours.
a) Westminster parliament represent citizen represent nation
b) Scottish parliament building represent citizen represent nation
c) welsh assembly represent citizen represent nation

5. (first instinct) Do you see your identity presented on Westminster parliament building? y/n
6. which symbols signify being English? highlight 3 of these that most represent the nation (searching the result of politics, institutionalisation)
a) Coins
b) Note
c) Flag
d) Atmosphere
e) Victoria clock tower
f) Westminster parliament
g)
7. Style wise, do you prefer new or heritage parliament? and why? (1 is the most like…)
a) Westminster parliament
c) welsh assembly
8. Which parliament architecture do you like in general, explain why?
c) Welsh assembly

Section 2: Questions for Female British citizens.

Westminster parliament exterior/interior

Welsh parliament exterior/interior

Scottish parliament exterior/interior

1. (first instinct) Which of these parliament buildings do you feel more connected with? In which aspect?
Write number in order to show the level of connectivity ( 1 is the most connected …)
a) Westminster parliament building
c) welsh parliament building
in which aspect? (eg; exterior/interior/decoration, etc)
2. Which parliament building and in which exact part, do you have a sense of belonging? highlight if related.
Which one
Which aspect; Form / style /complexity/ material/ memories / the place around / icon/etc/write as many as you can
answer;

3. (first instinct) Do any of these parliament buildings signify different groups of people eg; elite/ citizen/men/politicians/the architect who design it? if yes specify which (could be more than one) and explain what makes you chose them?

4. (first instinct) Are any of these parliament buildings gendered/? (women’s view towards infrastructure, place, city)
a) Westminster parliament (Neutral, Feminity, Musicality)
b) Scottish parliament building (Neutral, Feminity, Musicality)
c) Welsh assembly (Neutral Feminity, Musicality)
5. (first instinct) Do you see yourself as a citizen that had some identity represented in the parliament architecture? Why and which part?
c) Welsh assembly

6. In terms of style, which parliament architecture do you feel attached to? Why?
d) Westminster parliament
e) Scottish parliament building
f) Welsh assembly

7. Which parliament architecture do you like in general, explain why?
g) Westminster parliament
h) Scottish parliament building
i) Welsh assembly
8. Rank how much you feel connected with the Westminster parliament building.
a) Very connect
b) Connect
c) Little connect
d) None.
9. Style wise, Which parliament do you feel that you are connected with (ignore where you from, look at the building from a women’s perspective.)? elaborate which part or aspect.
j) Westminster parliament
k) Scottish parliament building
l) Welsh assembly
10. When you see parliament buildings, what qualities/identity/spirit that express femininity of the nation? Explain which part and how? (eg; caring, loving… )

11. Do you prefer new or heritage parliament buildings? (what do the young citizen prefer in terms of styles of building, changes of aesthetics, where the affiliation lies) and why in general ? Pick one of the following and give the reason why.
d) Westminster parliament
e) Scottish parliament building
f) welsh assembly

Section3: Questions For International Students

Westminster parliament exterior/interior

Welsh parliament exterior/interior

Scottish parliament exterior/interior

1. have you visited London as a tourist / lived here for a long time / studying / working in the UK? y/n if no go to question 3

2. what is your emotional reaction toward the Westminster parliament architecture?

3. Do these buildings demonstrate some kind of spirit of UK citizen, if so in which ways?

4. Do you prefer new or heritage parliament buildings in this country?
a) New
b) Heritage
5. (first instinct) Do these parliament buildings influence your attitude towards the nation? y/n if yes which aspect? eg (admires, appreciated, motivate yourself to be the same)
Explain in short;
6. (first instinct) Do you think heritage building had affect your mood?if yes, in what way?
a) Positive
b) Neutral
c) Negative

7. (first instinct) When you see Westminster parliament building, what qualities can you see that define British people? Eg (responsible, sensible, punctuate, sincere, motivate. emotional united, loving, caring, etc…) write your own or highlight from given.

8. (first instinct) Do you enjoy co-ethic community? y/n Why?
Em395
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
British
White
Nearly 20
Female

Scottish Parliament building - symbolises modern politics rather and looks welcoming which, to me, suggests that there is less of a gap between those within the building (not historical and is that of the postmodern age). The design is up to date and does not look like it would welcome people standing up and shouting over each other like that of Westminster

Welsh Parliament building
Westminster parliament building - historical memories attached and it is not a relatable place but represents oppression of days gone by, classes are still separated

2) I don't really have a sense of belonging but if I had to choose one it would have to be the Welsh Parliament because it has a welcoming structure that is not intimidating and doesn't symbolise oppression. It is also in an area that people tend to go and it is not historical based (area) unlike London where the Monarchy also resides.
I like this one because it does not hold many significant historical memories creating the impression that decisions made there will be more about bringing society into the modern era and try to dispel the history unlike Westminster which is intimidating.

3) Westminster represents the elite because most politicians are of the upper classes due to their social capital making it easier for them to access higher education and certain groups in higher education e.g. the old boys network
Men - both in who use the building and who designed it due to the date of it being built, the building was used by the King originally who held parliament

I would say the other two building represent the public because they look welcoming and it doesn't look like it was designed by an upper class male who wanted to make a status symbol.

4) Personally, I see Westminster as gendered mainly due to the history of the building and the political leaders majoritively being male. Another factor would be the structure of the chamber as, in my mind, it welcomes confrontation due to the opposing groups facing each other, almost welcoming challenge. Additionally, whenever I think of these chambers I picture bickering and I find that it is majoritively men who are throwing their opinions about and insulting politicians who oppose these views. I find the whole building from the structure and its surrounding symbolise male power and aggression which is reflected in the parliamentary chamber. Whereas, the modern outlay of the other buildings suggest them to be more welcoming of opinions and views - subconsciously I see these to be more accepting of women in their parliament due to the more modern outlook suggesting it holds updated ideas on gender equality.
Scottish Parliament building - neutral
Welsh assembly - women but mostly neutral

5) Not really

6) Weirdly, Westminster because although it is very masculine and a symbol of power it also reflects the British history of my ancestors and I feel I should be respectful of it. It might not directly have an impact on my identity but it is the reason we are who we are (important decisions were made there). It represents history, But then again I am torn between the Scottish Parliament building because it makes me feel that what I think matters.

7) Scottish Parliament building - it is inclusive in a sense as it does not look imposing. It also looks like it has a place in society because it does not look out of place (in location or time wise)

8) Little connection

9) Scottish Parliament building - it looks like they would be more inclusive of gender and female opinions due to the modern outlay. It looks like it reflects modern values. It suggests that there is less confrontation and is not imposing suggesting women would feel more welcome to work there and actually discuss their views on things.

10) Subordination - unwelcoming features of Westminster (more welcoming to male counterparts)
Compassion - modern designs of both Welsh and Scottish Parliaments

11) Scottish Parliament building in the sense that it is more reflective of society now and not stuck in the past like Westminster. It doesn't look like it will give the politician an ego complex because they do not have working hours in historical buildings where kings have held conference,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (37)
14.8%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (78)
31.2%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (30)
12%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (21)
8.4%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (14)
5.6%
I think it's an unfair expectation (67)
26.8%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.2%

Watched Threads