14t
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I've got mocks in a month so I need to revise for my psychology paper. I got a low c in my September mocks (in all honesty I didn't put that much effort in as I was so focused on my other subjects) and I'd like to maybe bump that up to a B or even an A (probably won't get that in these mocks though because I've got a month lol)

In my textbook (green/pink-haired girl aqa one) there are check it questions at the end of each sub-topic, they seem to ask questions on everything that was covered in that subtopic (e.g there's a topic on coding, capacity and duration of memory. the questions asked are about the duration of STM, coding of LTM, a research study of duration of LTM and a 16 marker, outline and evaluate the research related to the features of STM so that's the whole sub-topic covered in question formate) if I did every one of those check it questions for each sub-topic (using my textbook for help lol) and asked my teacher to mark the 16 markers (to make sure my answer is actually good) then use that as my 'revision guide' and repeat the questions until I remember the answers without a textbook (then do exam papers to work on application). Would that be a good method as for my other mocks all I did was copy the textbook and write notes?

Oh and for the 16 markers, if my teacher says they're good, I can condense them into essay plans so its a bit less to remember.
Ukiyomo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yes yes yes!! I mentor some GCSE students in revision and exam techniques because I want to be a teacher (in psych) and what you want to do is ACTIVE REVISION!! Answering practice questions on that is active revision, so is making essay plans, mind maps, revision cards (with condensed notes), quizzing yourself and others, etc. Avoid passive revision ! This is just reading notes or copying them word for word. I'm sure those methods you have mentioned will help you a lot in getting those top grades good luck!
14t
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Ukiyomo)
Yes yes yes!! I mentor some GCSE students in revision and exam techniques because I want to be a teacher (in psych) and what you want to do is ACTIVE REVISION!! Answering practice questions on that is active revision, so is making essay plans, mind maps, revision cards (with condensed notes), quizzing yourself and others, etc. Avoid passive revision ! This is just reading notes or copying them word for word. I'm sure those methods you have mentioned will help you a lot in getting those top grades good luck!
Thank you and I hope you succeed in your psychology teaching career! Is it okay for me to use the textbook when answering the questions first time around though?
Ukiyomo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by 14t)
Thank you and I hope you succeed in your psychology teaching career! Is it okay for me to use the textbook when answering the questions first time around though?
Yes that would be okay for the first time round but make sure to leave time to do some without! Open book will help you with structure and closed book will help you with content if that makes sense. I would recommend though that when you do them open book, (instead of copying straight) read the paragraph/page you're gonna write about and then write that section and repeat so that you're still having to memorise slightly. And maybe as an inbetween stage you could write the questions without the notes but if you really blank on something then you write it in a different colour so you can see how much you know and what to work on more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (110)
35.71%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.64%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (19)
6.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.39%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.01%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (36)
11.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.39%

Watched Threads