Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oritey there guys!

bet you're all excited about coming up to Reading! only 1 week left now eh!!

anyway my name is Jag im going into my third year at Reading uni (studying law if that matters) just wanted to let you lot know about our rave society...yes reading has a rave society, i bet not many other unis can claim that..

I won't lie to you..a lot of societies will take your fiver at the start of the year, you'll go on a half-assed pubcrawl in the first week, and thats about it (I know, i joined a few of them)... we are not like this at all.

RAVE stands for Reading Audio Visual Enterprize... our main objective is to put on phat parties in town...we showcase local talent, with DJs playing stuff like (but not limited to) drum & bass, dubstep, jungle, hip hop, breaks, funk, electronica, trance, hardcore, acid, techno, reggae, dub, dancehall, punk, and so on.. we also have other fun stuff like live visuals, circus performers (including fire dancers hellll yeahhhh) live graffiti battles and the like.

membership is £5 and will get you discount entry to these nights (they are open to the general public, with discount also given to fine art society and RUCUS Circus Skills society members)

Of course I realise this may not sound like everyone's typical night out, but we do not wish to be some kind of exclusive clique...what I would really like to do with the society is branch out and reach a wider audience... for example, I bet a lot of you love pendulum and dance like crazy when blood sugar or slam etc etc comes on in a club...have you ever wondered what it might be like to take a step further into that world? We are a small institution, we don't compete with the massive student nights like "funky frog" and all those nights which are definitely very fun, but get a little bit samey..what we do is offer something a bit different and a bit unique, where independent talent is celebrated and encouraged.

On top of this we have also previous run art and music workshops for local kids in conjunction with a local youth club & arts centre. we've taught kids new skills in percussion, music composition, spraypainting and graffiti and more...getting kids more into the creative arts can only be a good thing right? all of this is funded by money we make from our nights. We are of course a non-profit organisation, we don't make any money, it all goes back into putting on more wicked parties and running workshops..

so if this sounds like your kind of thing, check us out on facebook: http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php...8660691&ref=ts check out photos from previous events and such..

our launch night RAVE: THE RETURN is going to be on friday the 17th of october, Upstairs at The Walkabout, off Friar Street. People have been waiting for this event for over a year (we had a year out last year, i took over recently) and the excitement is building up like ****** mad. weve got everything from drum & bass and jungle mashups to live dub poetry to uv poi and diablo to tripped out visuals and live graff battle.. basically its gonna be mad. the facebook event page is here:
    http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php...id=26104512710

so there we have it...RAVE in a nutshell if youve got any questions or want to find out more then fire away..

we'll also be at freshers fayre so come and say hello!

anyway good luck with the move up to uni! get ready for the best year of your lives!!!

all the best

Jag x

ReputationRep:
    Safe, innit. Reading needs some more psytrance in my extremely honest opinion. But, then again, I would say that.

Will you be doing mixing and production workshops? I wanna get some CD decks at some point, so I can start 'spinning' psytrance.

Anyway, will join this society fo' sho'! When is Freshers' Fayre?

Edit: Acid/London techno would be lush too!

ReputationRep:
    hahaa safe man what you doin here still????

yeah lol my mate nimai is producing his own psy stuff and ive told him he can have a gig whenever hes ready... itsgonna be a bit different but thats what its all about init!

have you been to any of the fushion nights in reading? i never realised what a massive soundsystem they are...they put on stages at glade and glasto and all sorts...sounds impressive...must go down there some time..

you coming on the 17th? you better be! :P

and yeah freshers fayre is on the wednesday & thursday of freshers week, 1st & 2nd of october... its gonna be a laugh man i cant wait...

ReputationRep:
    drum & bass, dubstep, jungle, hip hop, breaks, funk, electronica, trance, hardcore, acid, techno, reggae, dub

JOINING
    lol
    U heard there arn't that many Funkyhouse/bassline/garage events about in Reading though? You gotta bring me through on them serious

Coming up on Sunday, you gotta let me know what events are doin' it lol

Some dark dubstep would go down a treat: D

ReputationRep:
    not too sure about bassline and garage...there might be a night at bamboo but im not sure..

yeah we got BARE dubstep dont you worry mate, the places youll wanna check out are Iguana Bar (re-opening this week thank ****) and Global Cafe...the Beat Feast crew put on good nights as well. On our re-launch night weve got Ed West doing a sick dubstep set. Hes got some releases on OnTheDub records, check it out!

Like i said we'll be at Freshers Fayre so come say hello!

ReputationRep:
    See you loty on wednesday fior the freshers fare/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MetalJag)
    yeah lol my mate nimai is producing his own psy stuff and ive told him he can have a gig whenever hes ready... itsgonna be a bit different but thats what its all about init!
    Ahh, dude, forgot to tell you when I saw you the other day, I actually got speaking to Nimai on PsyForum. He said he was producing psytrance... I look forward to hearing it! I'm trying to produce psy at the moment as well.

have you been to any of the fushion nights in reading? i never realised what a massive soundsystem they are...they put on stages at glade and glasto and all sorts...sounds impressive...must go down there some time..
    Yeah, man! I've been to The Awakening a fair few times. I heard it got moved to Bristol though... I wonder if that's true! The soundsystem was phat, plus I love the small size of Plug 'n' Play. The bass bounces off all the walls.

Howwww do I go about joining the Rave Society at uni?

There's a talk on cannabis and its benefits and dangers in the Palmer building on Tuesday. Looks well interesting.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.