How common are flatshares that allow tank pets in Sheffield?

Watch
ADage13
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm headed to Sheffield for Sociology with Foundation at Sheffield next year and have a sweet little roborovski hamster named desmond who is coming with me. I know it's a pretty safe bet that he won't be allowed in student accommodation, but how common is it for flatshares to be ok with tank pets like fish, hamsters, reptiles? Here in london most places don't count hamsters for the sake of "no pets" leases. Am I totally wrong about student accommodation? Let me know fellow Sheffielders!

EDIT FOR ANYONE LOOKING: Look on SpareRoom! I found multiple places open to pets and you can even use it to screen out anti-pet places.
Last edited by ADage13; 4 months ago
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ADage13)
I'm headed to Sheffield for Sociology with Foundation at Sheffield next year and have a sweet little roborovski hamster named desmond who is coming with me. I know it's a pretty safe bet that he won't be allowed in student accommodation, but how common is it for flatshares to be ok with tank pets like fish, hamsters, reptiles? Here in london most places don't count hamsters for the sake of "no pets" leases. Am I totally wrong about student accommodation? Let me know fellow Sheffielders!
Halls 100% don't allow any pets even something like Sea Monkeys (brine shrimp) most house shares (for students) the land lord won't allow pets either although sometimes fish are allowed. really you'll need to ask the land lord and forget it in halls they'll tell you to get rid of the hamster or find anew place that will allow the hamster.
ADage13
Rep:
?
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
Halls 100% don't allow any pets even something like Sea Monkeys (brine shrimp) most house shares (for students) the land lord won't allow pets either although sometimes fish are allowed. really you'll need to ask the land lord and forget it in halls they'll tell you to get rid of the hamster or find anew place that will allow the hamster.
Yeah, I was pretty sure halls were out of the question, just trying to gauge how easy it will be to find a private place that will allow a hamster.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yeah, I was pretty sure halls were out of the question, just trying to gauge how easy it will be to find a private place that will allow a hamster.
Really depends go to a student letting agency and ask for houses that would allow it I'm sure you'll be able to find a couple of land lords who might allow it the thing is what if it escapes.
ADage13
Rep:
?
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
Really depends go to a student letting agency and ask for houses that would allow it I'm sure you'll be able to find a couple of land lords who might allow it the thing is what if it escapes.
Cage is made of acrylic and an inch thick wood, opening is a foot above the base with a lock. I'm so confident Desmond wouldn't escape I would put a rodent trap out if they requested. All proper rodent cages should be escape proof.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Cage is made of acrylic and an inch thick wood, opening is a foot above the base with a lock. I'm so confident Desmond wouldn't escape I would put a rodent trap out if they requested. All proper rodent cages should be escape proof.
It's more kind of if your handling him (because it's hamster of course you will be)and he twists out of your hands (my gerbils always used to do that but I don't have them anymore) and then he turns off and you can't catch or find him
University of Sheffield Alumni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi ADage13,

As jonathanemptage has already mentioned, it is worth contacting landlords / lettings agencies individually to find out what their specific rules are on pets. If you're wondering where to start your house search, I'd really recommend using SmartMove Sheffield. This is a service run by the Students' Union and University to advertise student properties available in Sheffield. To appear on SmartMove, the property must be registered with Sheffield City Council's SNUG scheme, which assess that the property is well maintained and suitable for students.

Once you have agreed with a landlord that you can have a pet, double check the housing contract to make sure that you can definitely have a hamster. I'd recommend seeking help from the Student Advice Centre to check the contract, and to get the agreement in writing from the landlord. All of these services are completely free to students studying at The University of Sheffield

If you have any other questions just let me know!

- Ben
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology (2016-19)
MSc Human and Molecular Genetics (2019-20)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads