FierceDeity
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
So I'm pretty sure I want to apply to Cambridge for Economics (I think my GCSEs are not good enough for oxford, esp. contextually), and I have found a tutor for them:
https://www.cambridgetutors.com/

I just wanted to ask whether anyone has used them before for applying to oxbridge or their partner site https://oxfordtutors.com/.

I also wanted to find out if anyone knew the best tutors for the admissions process, if there's a list out there or a few well known / regarded names.

(Not looking for answers that say "just don't"— even if it boosts my application only slightly it will be worth it + they give personal statement advice so would be useful for any uni)
stereotypeasian
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
what about zero gravity Oxford Mum
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thousands of students are admitted every year without the use of paid "tutors" or "coaches", which are also things both Oxford and Cambridge actively discourage, design their admissions processes to mitigate any advantage that might give an applicant potentially, and also multiple admissions tutors from various Oxford and Cambridge colleges have indicated in both print media and online that such coaching tends to be quite obvious to spot and doesn't do the applicant favours when it is spotted. So there is really little benefit in spending money on something that is not going to help you and may in fact hinder you.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by FierceDeity)
So I'm pretty sure I want to apply to Cambridge for Economics (I think my GCSEs are not good enough for oxford, esp. contextually), and I have found a tutor for them:

I just wanted to ask whether anyone has used them before for applying to oxbridge or their partner site https://oxfordtutors.com/.

I also wanted to find out if anyone knew the best tutors for the admissions process, if there's a list out there or a few well known / regarded names.

(Not looking for answers that say "just don't"— even if it boosts my application only slightly it will be worth it + they give personal statement advice so would be useful for any uni)
These two companies charge money for their services, and there is no guarantee, even though you are paying them money, that you will get in! I have heard about private companies (not this one) who charge about £4,400 for a two week course! I have looked at their programmes and really, they are not much cop.

Are you at state school, from the UK and, crucially, do you have at least 7 x 8/9s at GCSE? If so, you could be eligible for one hours FREE mentoring each week from a current Cambridge Economics student!

I have just spoken on TSR for about 30 minutes about Zero Gravity and its benefits, for someone who specifically asked about tutoring as well. Please see the link to the thread here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post92564966

and my many comments on this subject!

Here is another disclaimer... Cambridge economics is an extremely hard course to get into (not that you won't get in, of course) but please do take this into consideration.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by FierceDeity)

Oh and whilst we are at it, right here on TSR you can get help with your personal statement!!!

Click on the blue "applying to uni" button at the top of this page, then "personal statements". They have a personal statement builder, to help you make a start. There is an article about how to write a great personal statement. There are real statements for your subject for you to look at (BUT NO PLAGIARSM please). Once you have written your statement, TSR has PS checkers to look over it for you. DO NOT print out your PS on these public thread, ask a community rep for the link to the PS checkers.

Now I bet this is exactly the type of help you are paying these private companies tonnes of money for.
*****deadness
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Thousands of students are admitted every year without the use of paid "tutors" or "coaches", which are also things both Oxford and Cambridge actively discourage, design their admissions processes to mitigate any advantage that might give an applicant potentially, and also multiple admissions tutors from various Oxford and Cambridge colleges have indicated in both print media and online that such coaching tends to be quite obvious to spot and doesn't do the applicant favours when it is spotted. So there is really little benefit in spending money on something that is not going to help you and may in fact hinder you.
Regurgitating a rehearsed answer may be obvious, but how about STEM subjects? Being tutored for admissions tests, and practicing interview questions doesn't seem that obvious to spot, and is something I'm doing. Would you think it'll give me problems at some point, particularly at my interview?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
They're just students. None of them are going to have spectacular insight, and there are plenty of them available elsewhere.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (16)
6.06%
Uncertainty around my education (30)
11.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (31)
11.74%
Lack of purpose or motivation (39)
14.77%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (15)
5.68%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (10)
3.79%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (25)
9.47%
Financial worries (17)
6.44%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (9)
3.41%
Exposure to negative news/social media (17)
6.44%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (31)
11.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (18)
6.82%

Watched Threads