How do you organise your studying?

Watch
Stb1750
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hello!

I have tried time and again to create study plans, whether they are made by me or are calculated for me. It's normally done in hours as well. Like 1 hour blocks if I use online planners; or if I do it myself it will look like 'start at 9am finish at 4pm'. It feels like a chore that way and I was wondering how else it could be done; how I could plan and be motivated to do it?

Do people typically do the "I will study from 9am to 3pm on Monday and 1pm to 5pm on Tuesday". Or do you plan differently? I thought about, rather than hours, I would try word count or chapters. So, like, Monday I will read 1 chapter on Criminology and write 200 words on Intro to Policing assessment.

Does anyone have a specific way? Do you plan in hours? use online planner? Do you plan in word counts and chapters? Or do you just wing it but are still disciplined to do an appropriate amount so your not rushing in the last few days?

chibichibi_xx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I have a bullet journal which I use to plan what I’ve got to do for the week, and now that I’ve got exams in January, I’ve also put my revision timetable in it (I didn’t start using revision timetables until my second year of A-Levels (so October/November last year) as I thought they were a complete waste of time but it actually helped me to visualise how much time I had to revise all of the topics for the exams so I’ll definitely be making one again for my uni exams). I prefer working with lists rather than planning my day by the hour - it gives me flexibility so that if I think of something I need/want to do during that day it doesn’t screw up my plans of what I’ve planned to do. I also don’t time myself when I’m studying - there are times I’ll be productive for two hours without me even knowing, and there will be times that I can’t do more than 30min, so once I start and if my mind starts to wonder then I know I need to have a break. This seems to work for me, although it may not work for you.
Stb1750
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by chibichibi_xx)
I have a bullet journal which I use to plan what I’ve got to do for the week, and now that I’ve got exams in January, I’ve also put my revision timetable in it (I didn’t start using revision timetables until my second year of A-Levels (so October/November last year) as I thought they were a complete waste of time but it actually helped me to visualise how much time I had to revise all of the topics for the exams so I’ll definitely be making one again for my uni exams). I prefer working with lists rather than planning my day by the hour - it gives me flexibility so that if I think of something I need/want to do during that day it doesn’t screw up my plans of what I’ve planned to do. I also don’t time myself when I’m studying - there are times I’ll be productive for two hours without me even knowing, and there will be times that I can’t do more than 30min, so once I start and if my mind starts to wonder then I know I need to have a break. This seems to work for me, although it may not work for you.
So, if I tried to visualise that, it would be something like: (I'm not A-level so the subjects and topics are random).
Monday: History (trench warfare) project. Psychology (mental health) revision.
Tuesday: Maths (statistics) revision. History (trench warfare) revision.
Wednesday: Break.
Thursday: etc etc ect.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.74%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.95%
I need help with my personal statement (76)
41.76%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (43)
23.63%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.65%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.69%

Watched Threads