The Student Room Group

Don't know how to title this thread

I have no friends.All my friends are in Italy and since the day I came in this country I haven't made many new friends (actually only 6,but we never talk to each other cause we are too busy).Most of my social interactions happen online with my old italian friends.

One of the reasons why I am unable to make friends in this country is the fact that I am too shy and uncapable of expressing myself with strangers and also because I am not very fluent with my english and cannot understand every accents. (I am the MOST EXTROVERT person when I am in group of people I know well).I am the most quiet and unexpressive person in public.One of my classmates also asked me if I have any feelings since (according to her) I have a "robotic voice" (I think that's because I constantly wear mask at school and I am often dehydrated so my voice becomes low pitched and robotic) and also because I smile or laugh rarely when I am with strangers.

I have no productive hobbies.Everyday is the same...go to school,study,go back to home,study more and go to bed...not saying that I hate doing monotonous things...I LIKE DOING SAME THINGS everyday...but it upsets me the fact that I can't find purpose or meaning in what I am doing.At least playing videogames or watching anime gives me instant gratification.I am doing A-Levels in biology,chemistry,physics and maths.I am excelling in all my a levels and scoring the best grades in the entire science department (not sure about the maths one since there might be kids from further maths who perform better than me...but I am surely the best in my class accademically).This is my routine now.I guess that's the only "talent" I have,which is genuine passion for science.Aside from that I have nothing...I am not very athletic,I can't sing.I can't do anything.I dont even know what I am studying for.
Yes,I love sciences,but where can I go with it..none of the Uni courses seems stimulating or perfect in terms of salary or job satisfaction.I love all 3 sciences equally and unfortunately I dont have money and time to have 3 degrees in Biology,chemistry,physics to satisfy my desire of knowledge and specializing in only one science field by getting only one degree is not very stimulating to me and there arent many safe multidisciplinary science degrees either...I love when the science knowledges join together (reason why I am doing all three sciences,because I want to have a whole picture of the natural and physical world and I am thirsty of knowledge).It's just frustrating that there isn't even a uni science course that gives you high salary and ESPESCIALLY job security guaranteed in addition of being coursewise satisfying.

The second reason why I work so hard accademically is because my parents and my
ENTIRE family are expecting me to get into medicine and do great stuff and contribute for our family respect and prestige.I am listening to my parents because I don't have any dreams even though I am performing brilliantly at school.I don't know what else to do if I didn't follow my parents' orders so I feel safer following their instructions.

If I imagine myself in future I'd like to have my relaxed,mindless routine of when I was in Italy back.

When I was in italy my routine was to go school and once I get home I never studied (ironic...I used to perform VERY poorly back then and get the LOWEST grades in my entire school.The only subject where I outperformed anyone was science.)...Instead I rushed 12 or 20 episodes of anime in one go/played skyrim or any other videogame or simply watch youtube videos or laugh at funny or cringe memes or go playing football with friends and kids of my city.
So in a nutshell,I'd like a quiet and relaxed and low stressed life as a gamer/weeb.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ąśh
I have no friends.All my friends are in Italy and since the day I came in this country I haven't made many new friends (actually only 6,but we never talk to each other cause we are too busy).Most of my social interactions happen online with my old italian friends.

One of the reasons why I am unable to make friends in this country is the fact that I am too shy and uncapable of expressing myself with strangers and also because I am not very fluent with my english and cannot understand every accents. (I am the MOST EXTROVERT person when I am in group of people I know well).I am the most quiet and unexpressive person in public.One of my classmates also asked me if I have any feelings since (according to her) I have a "robotic voice" (I think that's because I constantly wear mask at school and I am often dehydrated so my voice becomes low pitched and robotic) and also because I smile or laugh rarely when I am with strangers.

I have no productive hobbies.Everyday is the same...go to school,study,go back to home,study more and go to bed...not saying that I hate doing monotonous things...I LIVE DOING SAME THINGS everyday...but it uosets me the fact that I can't find purpose or meaning in what I am doing.At least playing videogames or watching anime gives me instant gratification.I am doing A-Levels in biology,chemistry,physics and maths.I am excelling in all my a levels and scoring the best grades in the entire science department (not sure about the maths one since there might be kids from further maths who perform better than me...but I am surely the best in my class accademically).This is my routine now.I guess that's the only "talent" I have,which is genuine passion for science.Aside from that I have nothing...I am not very athletic,I can't sing.I can't do anything.I dont even know what I am studying for.
Yes,I love sciences,but where can I go with it..none of the Uni courses seems stimulating or perfect in terms of salary or job satisfaction.I love all 3 sciences equally and unfortunately I dont have money and time to have a degree in Biology,chemistry,physics...I love when the science knowledges join together (reason why I am doing all three sciences,because I want to have a whole picture of the natural and physical world and I am thirsty of knowledge).It's just frustrating that there isn't even a uni science course that gives you hugh salary and job security guaranteed.

The second reason why I work so hard accademically is because my parents and my
ENTIRE family are expecting me to get into medicine and do great stuff and contribute for our family respect and prestige.I am listening to my parents because I don't have any dreams even though I am performing brilliantly at school.I don't know what else to do if I didn't follow my parents' orders so I feel safer following their instructions.

If I imagine myself in future I'd like to have my relaxed,mindless routine of when I was in Italy.

When I was in italy my routine was to go school and once I get home I never study (ironic...I used to perform VERY poorly back then and get the LOWEST grades in my entire school.The only subject where I outperformed anyone was science.)...Instead I rushed 12 or 20 episodes of anime in one go/play skyrim or any other videogame or simply watch youtube videos or laugh at funny or cringe memes or go playing football with friends and kids of my city.
So in a nutshell,I'd like a quiet and relaxed and low stressed life as a gamer/weeb.

you should put yourself out there and try compliment people or ask "hi what's your name/what subjects are you doing" to try break the ice because a lot of people would love people to talk to them they just dont know how to do it. Even if you feel shy and scared that doesnt mean you cant do it! you got this! because once you keep doing something there will be nothing to fear. You should also try new hobbies like reading or skating or something cool because not only will it be useful in conversation it will be useful for finding out who you are as a person besides a levels and revision. (well done for doing great though that's awesome.) I also I agree with you I'm doing some sciences too and it's so sad that even if you are passionate about something there could be a chance you might not get it. Finding more hobbies and interests also relates to finding out what you want to be and what YOUR dreams are not your parents. Do whatever you desire but before that you need to gain confidence and that means putting yourself in situations that can be scary but you'll be okay once you've opened that door you'll be at home.
hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by akany:)
you should put yourself out there and try compliment people or ask "hi what's your name/what subjects are you doing" to try break the ice because a lot of people would love people to talk to them they just dont know how to do it. Even if you feel shy and scared that doesnt mean you cant do it! you got this! because once you keep doing something there will be nothing to fear. You should also try new hobbies like reading or skating or something cool because not only will it be useful in conversation it will be useful for finding out who you are as a person besides a levels and revision. (well done for doing great though that's awesome.) I also I agree with you I'm doing some sciences too and it's so sad that even if you are passionate about something there could be a chance you might not get it. Finding more hobbies and interests also relates to finding out what you want to be and what YOUR dreams are not your parents. Do whatever you desire but before that you need to gain confidence and that means putting yourself in situations that can be scary but you'll be okay once you've opened that door you'll be at home.
hope this helps :smile:

I tried to have some hobbies in the past.
I once wanted to learn piano but my parents told me that it's pointless and that they are not gonna buy me a piano.But they told me that it's a waste of time and that playing piano is not even a "great thing to do, since even paesants can play piano" (my dad's quote).He lectured me for half an hour afterwards telling me that these wastes of time will only distract me from my studies and that I should be doing other things instead such as working for a charity or do social work (he's got a point,ngl.But it isn't how I would like to spend my free time).And he somehow (like a master speaker) managed to divert the topic on how hard life is.Still bothers me when at the end he commented that I am too immature (while I only asked him to buy me a piano,didn't want to hear half hour off topic and unrelated lecture...if he couldn't buy me a piano than he could just straight say no and i wouldn't insist any further.And by the way he is also being inconsistent...if playing piano is a waste of time what about playing videogames?Why doesn't he complain about it?I think that he just didn't want to spend money,which is understandable since we are a low income family and I dont have any comolain about it.)

Or that time I wanted to join a football club and my parents didn't allow me.

Or that time that I asked my parents if I could apply for karate classes (Since I was a child I was fascinated by karate and I still want to learn it so badly).I think that if my parents allowed me to take karate classes since childhood I would be really great at it.But they told me that's just a waste of time.

But I guess it's too late now,since every year passes my schedules become more and more busy.
Reply 3
Original post by Ąśh
I tried to have some hobbies in the past.
I once wanted to learn piano but my parents told me that it's pointless and that they are not gonna buy me a piano.But they told me that it's a waste of time and that playing piano is not even a "great thing to do, since even paesants can play piano" (my dad's quote).He lectured me for half an hour afterwards telling me that these wastes of time will only distract me from my studies and that I should be doing other things instead such as working for a charity or do social work (he's got a point,ngl.But it isn't how I would like to spend my free time).And he somehow (like a master speaker) managed to divert the topic on how hard life is.Still bothers me when at the end he commented that I am too immature (while I only asked him to buy me a piano,didn't want to hear half hour off topic and unrelated lecture...if he couldn't buy me a piano than he could just straight say no and i wouldn't insist any further.And by the way he is also being inconsistent...if playing piano is a waste of time what about playing videogames?Why doesn't he complain about it?I think that he just didn't want to spend money,which is understandable since we are a low income family and I dont have any comolain about it.)

Or that time I wanted to join a football club and my parents didn't allow me.

Or that time that I asked my parents if I could apply for karate classes (Since I was a child I was fascinated by karate and I still want to learn it so badly).I think that if my parents allowed me to take karate classes since childhood I would be really great at it.But they told me that's just a waste of time.

But I guess it's too late now,since every year passes my schedules become more and more busy.

maybe consider doing charity work or some type of volunteering? come up with list of hobbies and things youd like to do and ask your parents what they would like you to do and see if there is anything that is similar or the same on both lists. even if your schedule does get busy you should still have something to do apart from video games that relaxes you or increases your social confidence.

Quick Reply

Latest