cherrybunny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
A student dilutes 25.0 cm3 of 0.500 mol dm–3 propanoic acid by adding water until the total volume is 100.0 cm3
Calculate the pH of this diluted solution of propanoic acid. Give your answer to 2 decimal places.

is the answer 2.82?
great0
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
How did you go about working this out.
cherrybunny
Rep:
?
(Original post by great0)
How did you go about working this out.
why? am i wrong
great0
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by cherrybunny)
why? am i wrong
you might be right
Pyruvic Acid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I am also interested in how you arrived at your answer. I'm more used to working out pH of solutions when strong acids/bases are involved. I'm curious as to how you got past the idea that propanoic acid only partially dissociates - did you have some sort of dissociation constant?
Last edited by Pyruvic Acid; 6 months ago
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by cherrybunny)
A student dilutes 25.0 cm3 of 0.500 mol dm–3 propanoic acid by adding water until the total volume is 100.0 cm3
Calculate the pH of this diluted solution of propanoic acid. Give your answer to 2 decimal places.

is the answer 2.82?
Since Ka = 1.35 x 10^-5, you should have got 2.89.

I guess you've divided the conc. by three (since you're adding three volumes of water to the 25 to make 100. But if you think about it, you divide the conc. by four, since the volume is 4x larger than when you started.
cherrybunny
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)
Since Ka = 1.35 x 10^-5, you should have got 2.89.

I guess you've divided the conc. by three (since you're adding three volumes of water to the 25 to make 100. But if you think about it, you divide the conc. by four, since the volume is 4x larger than when you started.
ahh i see, i was actually working out the no. of moles and then i did the moles / (75/1000) which gave me 0.1666 as the conc lol, i know it was wrong but i didnt know how to go about this question
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (228)
43.43%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.05%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (40)
7.62%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (112)
21.33%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (59)
11.24%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise