Higher/advanced higher subjects

Watch
wonder girl
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm unsure of which subjects I want to pick in S6. Currently i am studying higher english, maths, modern studies, physics and chemistry and I hoping I'm going to well this year. Next year I was planning on taking higher history, higher psychology and also advanced higher english and advanced higher maths.

I think I want to study sustainable development with either politics or international relations. What do you guys think?
lrs_b
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I can recommend advanced English - Maths not so much but if you are good at it then go for it! Does your school not offer Modern Studies as it is a really good course (and relevant to politics/IR)?

I would say look at entry requirements of your preferred institutions and if there are no essential subjects choose what will be easiest for a good grade, or what you are doing best in this year since they are all strong subjects. Also think about the number of subjects since 3 Advanced Highers is less work IMO than 2 with 2 Highers. Good luck choosing
wonder girl
Rep:
(Original post by lrs_b)
I can recommend advanced English - Maths not so much but if you are good at it then go for it! Does your school not offer Modern Studies as it is a really good course (and relevant to politics/IR)?

I would say look at entry requirements of your preferred institutions and if there are no essential subjects choose what will be easiest for a good grade, or what you are doing best in this year since they are all strong subjects. Also think about the number of subjects since 3 Advanced Highers is less work IMO than 2 with 2 Highers. Good luck choosing
Unfortunately my school does not offer advanced modern studies If I'm being honest maths really isn't my a strong subject for me I just thought that it might be a good qualification to have. I would consider taking 3 advanced Highers but I would have to take advanced higher maths and a science and i really don't think I would be able to do it

Thank you so much for your help!
lrs_b
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wonder girl)
Unfortunately my school does not offer advanced modern studies If I'm being honest maths really isn't my a strong subject for me I just thought that it might be a good qualification to have. I would consider taking 3 advanced Highers but I would have to take advanced higher maths and a science and i really don't think I would be able to do it

That's fair enough. I dropped Chemistry after N5... Your initial suggestion looks good - trust your gut
wonder girl
Rep:
(Original post by lrs_b)
That's fair enough. I dropped Chemistry after N5... Your initial suggestion looks good - trust your gut
I wish I did to tbh May I ask what your currently studying?
lrs_b
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I wish I did to tbh May I ask what your currently studying?
AH English, Modern Studies and French. The psychology is an interesting one, kinda wish my school offered that
wonder girl
Rep:
(Original post by lrs_b)
AH English, Modern Studies and French. The psychology is an interesting one, kinda wish my school offered that
Yeah it's meant to be really difficult kind of scared . Is advanced higher English difficult. I don't really know much about the course but have really enjoyed English this year.
lrs_b
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yeah it's meant to be really difficult kind of scared . Is advanced higher English difficult. I don't really know much about the course but have really enjoyed English this year.
I wouldn't say it is too hard, 60% of your final grade is coursework - folio plus a dissertation comparing two texts of your choice - so that is a good safety net if you get a bad essay question on the day. Main difference in exam is your essay is on two texts, with another paper on unseen textual analysis which is like RUAE but there's other categories to choose from other than prose non-fiction to compensate for there being no Scottish text.
wonder girl
Rep:
(Original post by lrs_b)
I wouldn't say it is too hard, 60% of your final grade is coursework - folio plus a dissertation comparing two texts of your choice - so that is a good safety net if you get a bad essay question on the day. Main difference in exam is your essay is on two texts, with another paper on unseen textual analysis which is like RUAE but there's other categories to choose from other than prose non-fiction to compensate for there being no Scottish text.
Oh okay. Thank you so much for your insight!
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

For maths, it's quite different at AH compared to Nat 5/Higher - not to say it is easier/harder than what you'd expect the step up to AH to be like, just different. At Nat 5 & Higher, you have a lot of maths hidden in some random scenario, whereas at AH it's more just pure maths. Some people find that easier than the application based stuff and some people find it more difficult - it really just depends on what you prefer! Would definitely encourage you to chat to your maths teacher about what the course is like so they can give you some personalised advice on whether they think you'd enjoy it
wonder girl
Rep:
(Original post by Labrador99)
For maths, it's quite different at AH compared to Nat 5/Higher - not to say it is easier/harder than what you'd expect the step up to AH to be like, just different. At Nat 5 & Higher, you have a lot of maths hidden in some random scenario, whereas at AH it's more just pure maths. Some people find that easier than the application based stuff and some people find it more difficult - it really just depends on what you prefer! Would definitely encourage you to chat to your maths teacher about what the course is like so they can give you some personalised advice on whether they think you'd enjoy it
Yeah I have an older brother who studied advanced maths. I have heard that the jump is a lot smaller and I think that pure maths would suit me more. I think I am going to take it. I think it will be a much more practical subject for me to take even though ngl I kind of dont want to
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I have an older brother who studied advanced maths. I have heard that the jump is a lot smaller and I think that pure maths would suit me more. I think I am going to take it. I think it will be a much more practical subject for me to take even though ngl I kind of dont want to
That's good that he can share his experiences too If you get started and find you hate it there are often options anyway to swap to something else or drop it if needed.
wonder girl
Rep:
(Original post by Labrador99)
That's good that he can share his experiences too If you get started and find you hate it there are often options anyway to swap to something else or drop it if needed.
Yeah. Thank u for your help!
cchloepx
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
That doesn’t seem too bad. I’m taking 2 adv highers and 2 highers this year and am doing well- I don’t feel like it’s too much work.

Dropping one of the adv highers or one of the highers is also seen as pretty normal if you aren’t asked for it for your uni course when you get offers.
wonder girl
Rep:
Yeah I think I'm just going to stick with these subjects. What subjects are u studying?

(Original post by cchloepx)
That doesn’t seem too bad. I’m taking 2 adv highers and 2 highers this year and am doing well- I don’t feel like it’s too much work.

Dropping one of the adv highers or one of the highers is also seen as pretty normal if you aren’t asked for it for your uni course when you get offers.
cchloepx
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I think I'm just going to stick with these subjects. What subjects are u studying?
I’m doing Advanced English, Advanced Modern Studies, Higher Politics, and Higher French (:
wonder girl
Rep:
I’m doing Advanced English, Advanced Modern Studies, Higher Politics, and Higher French (:
Oh okay. I wish i could do advanced modern studies but my school doesnt offer it. What is english like? I dont really know much about it
cchloepx
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Oh okay. I wish i could do advanced modern studies but my school doesnt offer it. What is english like? I dont really know much about it
My school doesn’t either. I have to go to another school for Modern Studies and politics (politics is a requirement for advanced mods at the school I go to for it) and I do English at a different school too because my timetable was all muddled :’)

English is alright. The textual analysis isn’t too bad and I quite enjoy the comparative literature studies (which is the other half of the exam)
Folio is just like higher I guess but there’s a lot more flexibility. In my class we’re going to do a few but right now we’re writing poetry.
Dissertation is quite good. It’s shorter than most dissertations- only 3500 words. My mods dissertation is 5000-5500 and I’m already at 3500 so it’s going well, haha. If you pick a text you like for the English dissertation it’ll be a breeze.
wonder girl
Rep:
My school doesn’t either. I have to go to another school for Modern Studies and politics (politics is a requirement for advanced mods at the school I go to for it) and I do English at a different school too because my timetable was all muddled :’)

English is alright. The textual analysis isn’t too bad and I quite enjoy the comparative literature studies (which is the other half of the exam)
Folio is just like higher I guess but there’s a lot more flexibility. In my class we’re going to do a few but right now we’re writing poetry.
Dissertation is quite good. It’s shorter than most dissertations- only 3500 words. My mods dissertation is 5000-5500 and I’m already at 3500 so it’s going well, haha. If you pick a text you like for the English dissertation it’ll be a breeze.
What kind of texts do u get to choose from?
cchloepx
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You can choose basically anything if you have a good idea for the layout of the dissertation / what things you'll look at. There's a list from the Shetland Library I think that has a good list of books based on theme which is good. Mine wasn't on there, though. I'm doing 'Tell my Horse' by Zora Neale Hurston, but one of her other books 'Their Eyes were Watching God' was on the list.

What kind of texts do u get to choose from?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (28)
7.11%
October 2021 (179)
45.43%
November 2021 (42)
10.66%
December 2021 (53)
13.45%
January 2021 (43)
10.91%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (38)
9.64%
Something else (11)
2.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise