Turn on thread page Beta

disabilities watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    well the thread title is pluralised but i only have one notable disability - it's a muscle problem which, with intense physiotherapy, i have hope of .. err, getting rid of? healing? overcoming? whatever, you get the drift

however, i haven't started this intense physio yet (probably start this year) and, well, it still remains an extremely hopeful subject for me; i want to be realistic and think about what my future could be like if i DON'T overcome this problem..

basically, can i have the same future other medical students have? i.e. i will have the same kind of schedule during my foundation years, and night shifts and all of that stuff if i prove to be capable? or will they just take one look at me and assume i'm useless?

i know myself and i know i'm physically capable. i'm not kidding myself or in denial, i know my limits and i'm positive that there isn't anything i can't do that any other medical student could do just because of my disability.

however, although i'm confident in myself, what are the chances potential employers will be? will i have a chance to prove myself or is the rest of my life really just a series of interviews with strangers who will judge me on first impressions?

ReputationRep:
    Urm, so we have next to no idea what your disability is and will be like... I don't know what you expect us to say? It'll be fine? Maybe it won't... no one can say.

ReputationRep:
    I'd normally give it time for the thread to fill up with well meaning but utterly useless 'you'll be fines' but since I'm incommunicado after this evening;

Without saying what the problem is, you're not exactly inviting helpful responses.

But, you cannot say that you are disabled and that there is nothing you can't do - it doesn't work like that, either you are disabled or you're not.

Anyway, the usual 'litmus test' is whether you would be able to perform BLS for a reasonable time. If you can, generally, you're in, if you can't, generally, you're not.

ReputationRep:
    There is a section on GMC website,Gateways to the Professions, that deals with issues surrounding widening participation to include students with disability. It may be of intrest to you Arabie: http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/unde...ance/index.asp

ReputationRep:
    I'm a medical student in a wheelchair and most definitely would not be able to carry out BLS for any length of time (lung issues)
    I will not even claim to be able to do exactly the same as every other medical student - i know that there are certain adjustments that will need to be made for me at every stage and i'm comfortable with this.
    I very much doubt that they will assume you're useless especially as at the moment the GMC and various of the medical schools are encouraging applications from disabled students.
    But as the others have said, it's difficult to advise without knowing the disability

ReputationRep:
    Theres disability officers at the uni maybe you should e-mail the unis.
    Ive had endless problems this year - i think its the reasonable adjustment thing which comes into play.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a duration thing (BLS/ILS), it's usually proving that you could initiate if required...

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.