The Student Room Group

dealing with rejection

Does abt have any tips for dealing with rejection and feeling like you don’t know where you’re headed anymore? I applied to cardiff for medicine and haven’t received an interview. I’m not 100% sure but i’ve read that they won’t be sending out anymore invites and it’s been a few days now. On the same day that I realised I’d probably be receiving a rejection soon I got an invite to an interview at another uni - my mums top choice for me. I know that I should’ve weigh heavily on what my parents want but she truly wants the best for me - this uni entails me staying in my own city and living at home. Staying home is something my mum strongly believes in partially because a) she’d miss me lol and b) i’m currently living with a newly diagnosed chronic illness which i’m not the best at managing, hence her wanting to make sure she can still care for me. The problem is, recently I had my heart set in Cardiff. The fantasy of going away from home and living in halls at uni and having the full experience, regardless of my condition, is something i’ve started to long for. I’ve still to hear back from one more uni in London but the rejection is so hard to get over because Cardiff is where my heart is set. Does anyone have any tips for when all your plans are suddenly halted. I’m not even feeling down about academics or “being good enough” as I know it’s really, really competitive to get an interview with Cardiff, rather I’m feeling lost and like what I was dreaming of is suddenly not going to happen. I haven’t officially received a rejection yet but if all the interview invites have even sent out then that’s all I’m waiting on really. Any help is massively appreciated!! Thanks :smile:
Original post by hopefulmedschool
Does abt have any tips for dealing with rejection and feeling like you don’t know where you’re headed anymore? I applied to cardiff for medicine and haven’t received an interview. I’m not 100% sure but i’ve read that they won’t be sending out anymore invites and it’s been a few days now. On the same day that I realised I’d probably be receiving a rejection soon I got an invite to an interview at another uni - my mums top choice for me. I know that I should’ve weigh heavily on what my parents want but she truly wants the best for me - this uni entails me staying in my own city and living at home. Staying home is something my mum strongly believes in partially because a) she’d miss me lol and b) i’m currently living with a newly diagnosed chronic illness which i’m not the best at managing, hence her wanting to make sure she can still care for me. The problem is, recently I had my heart set in Cardiff. The fantasy of going away from home and living in halls at uni and having the full experience, regardless of my condition, is something i’ve started to long for. I’ve still to hear back from one more uni in London but the rejection is so hard to get over because Cardiff is where my heart is set. Does anyone have any tips for when all your plans are suddenly halted. I’m not even feeling down about academics or “being good enough” as I know it’s really, really competitive to get an interview with Cardiff, rather I’m feeling lost and like what I was dreaming of is suddenly not going to happen. I haven’t officially received a rejection yet but if all the interview invites have even sent out then that’s all I’m waiting on really. Any help is massively appreciated!! Thanks :smile:

1. hasnt happened yet.
2. Get feedback and learn where you need to strengthen.
3. Apply next year.
4. If you have a chronic illness how would you have coped anyway?
5. These forums are fill of people who have left their course are depressed or struggling whilst being thousands in debt because they didnt prepare, went with MH illness which got worse and end up isolated and lonely. There cna be a negative side for going to uni.
6. As you say a lot of your thinking belongs more to fantasy and if you are going to make it real then be sure to know how to deal with the actual implications.
7. You arent going anywhere without the grades.

Quick Reply

Latest