Shall I even take Further Maths A level?

Watch
12tahsinla
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
ok CONTEXT: I am fairly good at understanding maths and processing new concepts and when I do practice questions, I mostly get them right but a few days later, forget all the concepts ive learnt??

Prior to GCSE maths, I actually rarely focused in class and never did the homework. During GCSE, I magically recieved a 7 with a few months of understanding everything from year 7-11 maths.

I took AS maths first year and whilst I was trying to solidify my GCSE knowledge, my exams came and i got an E. oh btw that was mainly due to pure becuase i finally understood stuff by exam season, and was terrible at both statistics and mechanics

Second yr, i took AS maths again and recieved a C, idk how i revised less this time but all the content was solidified.
BTW first year i took AS alongside my other AS becuase i thought i was going to drop maths.
Second year i had to take AS maths because we didnt have a teacher and had to self teach entire pure, stats and mechanics year 2 and i thought i wouldnt be able to do a level maths even though i recieved C/B in most of my mocks.
I want to take a level maths this year, becuase i feel all the content is solidified in my head, and how i improved by 2 grades last year, i would be able to improve by 2 grades this year to an A? or am i thnking irratioanlly?

Also ive nearly finished AS further mathematics core pure and ive found it really easy to understand and have taken topic tests and done exam questions and have been getting them all correct?
Shall i take further maths a level this year aswell?
AlevelMathsTutor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I have taught A level Maths & Further Maths for many years. Further Maths is a lot more challenging than Maths. Your grades so far suggest you would struggle with the difficulty of Further Maths. Only you know how hard you have been working. My advice would be: aim for top grades in what you are already studying by giving 100% in effort. You need to practise questions hour after hour to build up your experience of solving exam problems.
12tahsinla
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by AlevelMathsTutor)
I have taught A level Maths & Further Maths for many years. Further Maths is a lot more challenging than Maths. Your grades so far suggest you would struggle with the difficulty of Further Maths. Only you know how hard you have been working. My advice would be: aim for top grades in what you are already studying by giving 100% in effort. You need to practise questions hour after hour to build up your experience of solving exam problems.
I finished the AS further maths content in 2 months and haven't struggled, i did find the concepts hard to grasp but i have practiced a substantial amount and since i have finished a level maths content, its more manageable. Do you think its not possible to get an A in further maths with just pure hard work? or would you say i should have some mathematical talent in order to aim for an A?
AlevelMathsTutor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by 12tahsinla)
I finished the AS further maths content in 2 months and haven't struggled, i did find the concepts hard to grasp but i have practiced a substantial amount and since i have finished a level maths content, its more manageable. Do you think its not possible to get an A in further maths with just pure hard work? or would you say i should have some mathematical talent in order to aim for an A?
If a student asks, "Do you think I could take A-level Maths?", I usually raise two questions:
1. Is he/she strong enough at Maths?
2. Do you enjoy problem solving?
The same two questions are even more relevant with Further Maths. Yes, you need to be strong at Maths to do well at Further Maths.
How do I know if I am strong enough? Ask your teachers. They should give you an honest answer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (110)
35.71%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.64%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (19)
6.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.39%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.01%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (36)
11.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.39%

Watched Threads