New Zealand Watch

TheCrunch
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've always been fascinated with New Zealand. I've never been and I'm only 17, but the scenery looks amazing, the wildlife is fantastically unique and as a big fan of Tolkien and the LotR movies I am inexplicably attracted to it...thinking of taking a gap year most likely after uni to go there, probably with a mate.

Anyone been? Whats it like?
RedRiotRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been! Lol! Go!

Seriously, if you get the chance, go. You'll regret it. Pictures don't do the place justice, the atmosphere is so relaxed and chilled. You'll love it. Go, really! Go!
MaryK08
Report 10 years ago
Ive been twice! Family live over there so i have roots lol

It is a fantastic place, Queensland is beautiful but watch out cause its become very touristy...i never got to visit ****ord Sound but i would defo say go there...looks spectacular. If your in the South then try their ice cream (goody gum drops was my fav)...so nice.

And the Maori people are wonderful...some are rough and live in untidy houses but they have great character, though i guess im biased having maori in me lol.
SofinaaBabess
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not being funny but aren't a majority of the people living in New Zealand really rasicist/prejudiced against any minority ethnic background? I have never seen any asian/brown people who are from there, say on TV/magazines etc.
RedRiotRoses
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SofinaaBabess)
I'm not being funny but aren't a majority of the people living in New Zealand really rasicist/prejudiced against any minority ethnic background? I have never seen any asian/brown people who are from there, say on TV/magazines etc.
No they're not. Dunedin is a Student City because of the Uni, and there are looooads of asian/brown people there. It's really ethnically diverse actually. A really incredible place. There isn't any kind of racial tension there what so ever.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MaryK08)
Ive been twice! Family live over there so i have roots lol

It is a fantastic place, Queensland is beautiful but watch out cause its become very touristy...i never got to visit ****ord Sound but i would defo say go there...looks spectacular. If your in the South then try their ice cream (goody gum drops was my fav)...so nice.

And the Maori people are wonderful...some are rough and live in untidy houses but they have great character, though i guess im biased having maori in me lol.
Queenstown?

Queensland is a state in Australia.

Note- I'm probably wrong.

Yeah i've been. It's really cool. The flight takes the piss tbh:eek:
atheistwithfaith
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
South Island is FAR better than the North Island, I wouldnt spend more than 3 months there though. It is very small really! Yeh Queenstown is a fantastic place, if you are able to i would THOROUGHLY recommend going in Ski/Snowboard season as the place is absolutely buzzing + getting up into the mountains is absolutely stunning. Also, I would recommend going Snowboarding with a company called "Ski Express". They have a 3-day deal on pretty much every year which is an absolute bargain. My friend is an experienced snowboarder and loved it, i had never done it before but loved it! Google it.
There is no more racism than anywhere else in the world, there is a bit of a problem with the Maori and drink/drugs similar to the problem with the Aboriginees in Australia but not to such a great degree. I was expecting to be embarrassed by seeing how terribly we (the British) treated the indigenous people (as we usually did back in t' day), but seems we were actually pretty reasonible. They are very well integrated on the whole.
Places i would recommend: Christchurch, Mt. Cook, Queenstown, ****ord Sound, Abel Tasman area, Franz Josef glacier (better than the Fox glacier), Lake Taupo (summer), Rotorua (summer) and the Bay of Islands. Wellington is **** imo, and Auckland is the only proper city in NZ but its not that great - makes a welcome break from the small town feel of the rest of NZ if you've been travelling for a while though.
cjgbr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When is the best time of the year to go?
atheistwithfaith
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Personal opinion really, i personally think the south island is stunning in the winter covered in snow. Also you can do winter on the south island which are usually very well priced. However on the flip side the north island is pretty crap in winter. Summer is more beautiful overall and if you aren't pussed about wintersports/snow this is probably the best time to go. Again on the flip side, its more expensive to do things in the summer...
MaryK08
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SofinaaBabess)

In Queenstown there are a lot of asians...and in Christchurch as far as i remember (Eeep! yeah i made a mistake lmao...Queenstown not Queensland!)

There was one guy in QT that started calling my mum a 'Pommy B****' so my mum gave him it back cause of our family. I did hear that the New Zealanders can be strict on who they let into the country but generally Maori people are pretty damn easy going!

Try visiting Bluff or Riverton...its right at the bottom of the south Island and the blue cod and chips in Riverton are THE BEST i have ever had

Does anyone who has been recently know if the Christchurch Wizard is still there? i remember him from the first time i went and never saw him the second time.
Lampshade
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go to North America where they actually treat Brits with some respect rather than just referring to you as "just another bloody pom".
TheCrunch
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've not been to America either, but from what I've seen and heard I'd much rather go to New Zealand.

Thanks for all the replies people!
Indievertigo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Those who say there isn't any racial tension in New Zealand haven't spent long enough on the west coast. They are a bunch of rednecks that side, not having left the country, suspicious of anyone not with white skin, hunting and fishing all day.

But apart from that its an alright place. Way too touristy though, full of germans, and wannabe hippies in their rented campervans.
MaryK08
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lampshade)
Go to North America where they actually treat Brits with some respect rather than just referring to you as "just another bloody pom".

Not all New Zealanders are like that, a lot are actually pretty interested in what life is like here and ive met so many nice people...some just have a strange sense of humour.

And as for the the 'rednecks' they're just not used to tourists and some would have been there a very long time if they so its their special home. They just feel like because its becoming touristy and more diverse in culture, New Zealand will lose its charm and their culture will be destroyed...or changed at least.

Im not saying all are angels tho. Some Maori Tribes can get pretty violent (tho some were offended by the movie 'Once Were Warriors'.)
My tribe is Ngai Tahu and isnt one such tribe (I think!..I hope lol)
Lampshade
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MaryK08)
Not all New Zealanders are like that, a lot are actually pretty interested in what life is like here and ive met so many nice people...some just have a strange sense of humour.
Their sense of humour is overly brash and insulting.
MaryK08
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lampshade)
Their sense of humour is overly brash and insulting.

SOME yes. Not all.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (543)
46.97%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (357)
30.88%
I don't have an opinion (256)
22.15%

Watched Threads